Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 PM
hts hts started this thread

762 posts, read 2,162,586 times

Advertisements

We're looking to relocate from N. Virginia (DC suburb) this summer. Right now, we're looking at Portland (if we can get past the 9 months of dreary rain) and Austin.

I don't have a preference right now, as we're still in the fact-finding stage, but my wife seems to be leaning toward Austin ("better weather, no state income tax").

I've done some preliminary research and it appears that both the Eanes and Leander school districts are pretty good. Round Rock also looks decent. Our top three priorities are schools, schools, schools, as we have 6 & 7 year old sons that require an academically-challenging environment (we're not interested in private schools).

I've been to great schools, just for kids, read the recent Texas Monthly article, etc., but would appreciate some local anecdotal insights from those of you that live in/around Austin. Is there one district that is generally recognized as the best all-around school system in Austin? Is there one that levies additional taxes and is therefore funded at a significantly higher level (in terms of $ per student) than the others?

Can you also please recommend some master planned communities with amenities (country club, golf, etc.) that we might consider? I've read about Steiner Ranch on here and it looks fine. Any others to consider? We're probably looking to spend between $750k-$1m on our next home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 01:01 AM

184 posts, read 1,007,184 times
Eanes is considered the top school district overall. Realestate in that area is typically the most expensive. But with your budget you should have no problem getting a decent house in that school district.

Leander, RR and Lake Travis are also good school districts to consider.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:05 AM

184 posts, read 1,007,184 times
Oh and btw from what I have learned Senna Hills is most likely the only sub division in Eanes ISD where you can still build your own house under a million. Senna Hills is about 5-6 miles west of 360 loop on Bee Caves Rd. The closer you get to the 360 loop and Mopac, the houses in Eanes ISD become more expensive per sqft and older.

Our kids attend elementary school in Eanes ISD and I am extremely pleased with the school.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:27 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,021 times
In Eanes you might look at Senna Hills, Barton Creek West, Austin Country Club and the Davenport Ranch area. In Leander, look at River Place, Westminster Glen, Steiner, Twin Creeks and Crystal Falls. All are master planned communities with amenities, golf, etc. I don't know RR well enough to suggest specific communities but I'm sure someone will chime in. Some have newer construction and others are older.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:06 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Is there one district that is generally recognized as the best all-around school system in Austin?
In Austin that "one" is Eanes. However, there are other school districts that may have schools that are just as good: LTISD, Leander, RRISD. Eanes has the rep as the top one, though, and it is small and exclusive so they can more easily make sure all of their schools are up to a certain standard. Other ISDs have more challenges.

Quote:
Can you also please recommend some master planned communities with amenities (country club, golf, etc.) that we might consider? I've read about Steiner Ranch on here and it looks fine. Any others to consider? We're probably looking to spend between $750k-$1m on our next home.
You can afford Eanes for that price. Gigi's list of neighborhoods: Senna Hills, Barton Creek West, Davenport, and I'd add Rob Roy are all great areas. Lots of great golf out there -- Barton Creek, Austin Country Club, etc. Look at a map, you'll see.

$750-1M is too much to spend in Steiner, IMO. You'd be on the higher end of the price point there, and that's usually not the best investment unless you are purely interested in the house itself (not the schools, property value, etc). Steiner is very nice, but if you choose that area you should be looking at $500K as the sweet spot.

Also, I'm sure you've already researched this, and everyone always mentions it, but don't forget property taxes. They are about $25K-$30K per year on a 1M house.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:54 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,021 times
Oops, I meant to say that most have access to golf - but places like Senna Hills are not in actual golf course communities.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:32 PM
hts hts started this thread

762 posts, read 2,162,586 times
Actually, I wasn't aware of the astronomically high property tax rates until I did some more research this afternoon. Your numbers look to be fairly accurate. It looks like (for example in Steiner Ranch), the total burder is north of 3% (or $30k/yr annually on a property appraised at $1m). Even in a state with no income tax, that's a heavy burden to bear. This is a significant enough issue that it's got us thinking twice about relocating to Austin after all.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Yes, taxes are high. Lots of families, lots of kids means lots of schools.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:11 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,550 times
Eanes, Leander, Lake Travis.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:49 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Actually, I wasn't aware of the astronomically high property tax rates until I did some more research this afternoon. Your numbers look to be fairly accurate. It looks like (for example in Steiner Ranch), the total burder is north of 3% (or $30k/yr annually on a property appraised at $1m). Even in a state with no income tax, that's a heavy burden to bear. This is a significant enough issue that it's got us thinking twice about relocating to Austin after all.
You shouldn't let the property taxes scare you off! It is unfortunate for those of us moving there, that we have to lower our price range to accommodate the taxes. I think it's worth it for the better quality of life we'll have personally. Of course ask me after we've been there a year or two...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin