Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:48 PM

21 posts, read 21,351 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

We are a 30 year old recently married couple that is relocating from Washington DC to the RR/Austin area in the Aug/Sept time-frame.

Wanted to get some ideas and opinions on neighborhoods and areas to look based on our criteria.

- 31/m & 29/f
- 1 large dog - so yard is needed to stretch his legs a bit
- Looking to start a family within 12 months
- 31/m will be working in the Round Rock area. Dell HQ to be exact - One Dell Way Round Rock, TX 78682
- Willing to commute 30-45 mins each way.
- Currently rent a 1700 sq ft town-home and looking to purchase a SFH in Texas
- Looking for 4BR and 3BA and 2750+ sqft
- Would love to find something in the 350-450 range but can push into the 450-550 range. 600 starts to get outta our comfort zone
- Area's primed for growth are ideal
- Looking for established and newly established neighborhoods with decent sized lots (.75-2 acre) and non tract
- Pools and Parks would be needed as I grew up swimming and would love the kids to have that opportunity

Let me know if there are any additional data points that might help folks share suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Blooskreen; 03-23-2015 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 03:11 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Better to narrow the RR work 'area' to a more specific location. Even in RR, the commutes can be really lousy if traveling in the wrong direction.

ETA: Specific work location has been posted.

Last edited by 10scoachrick; 03-23-2015 at 03:35 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 03:22 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
Your price range leaves a lot of options. Lot sizes are subjective, define "decent sized" for us. Areas primed for growth = central Texas for the foreseeable future. Williamson County growing fastest in the state.

Where will you be working specifically (intersection of ? and ?)
How long are you willing to commute in miles or time?
Are you looking for 1/4 acre or 1 acre when you say decent lot?
Pool or park important?

Old 03-23-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Better to narrow the RR work 'area' to a more specific location. Even in RR, the commutes can be really lousy if traveling in the wrong direction.
Great point. Dell HQ to be exact - One Dell Way Round Rock, TX 78682

updated original post as well. Thanks!

Old 03-23-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Your price range leaves a lot of options. Lot sizes are subjective, define "decent sized" for us. Areas primed for growth = central Texas for the foreseeable future. Williamson County growing fastest in the state.

Where will you be working specifically (intersection of ? and ?)
How long are you willing to commute in miles or time?
Are you looking for 1/4 acre or 1 acre when you say decent lot?
Pool or park important?
- Dell HQ
- 30-45 mins commute would be ideal, hr+ might nix options
- I would like .75 acre-2 acre if possible (we do walk our dog ALOT so the large lot would be for the pooch) open to great walking communities if the lots aren't ideal size.
- Both pool and park are. We both love the water and hiking. We would like our kids to swim as well.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:29 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
You'll be fine, and probably can stay under or right around $350K. Teravista, Paloma Lakes, Mayfield Ranch - all will do exactly what you want, and in great schools for those future kids.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 03-23-2015, 03:30 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
If you're interested in the Round Rock area, then i recommend Oak Bluff Estates.

Houses $300-500k
Non tract homes. You won't find the same house anywhere.
Mature Trees/wooded. There's a lot of greenery everywhere.
Established for 30 years.
Still has a lot of the original owners
Larger lots (.3-1 acre)
Near major arteries/amenities. the community doesn't have any pools or parks, but it doesn't need either since it is by a golf course and Brushy Creek is a within walking distance of the community.

However, my only concern is that the area is very suburban. If you like the suburban life in the NE, or want to live that life, then this area is for you. It is secluded (though by no means far away from anything) and the sidewalks roll up at 9 pm. The average age is 42 years old, though many of the newcomers are married with children. You are a young couple, so the quietness might be disconcerting. The good news is that you aren't terribly far away from any activities such as movies, shopping, etc. Getting into Austin (during non-rush hours) won't be a hassle. It is important though to know where you job is. There isn't any public transportation worth a damn around here (though I take it), and it's definitely not like Metro, which services the burbs pretty well. If you work downtown, you will either drive or take public transportation, but you will need to drive to public transportation. Driving to public transportation from OBE is about 12 minutes. The train itself is about 30. So about 45 minutes in total. Driving 45 minutes may be a frustration for some. Coming from the northeast, it may be a bother to you (I'm from NYC, so I am used to commuting to work and the commute doesn't bother me). However, you can take the train to downtown so the commute won't be a physical wear and tear.

If you work in North austin like my husband, then commuting is a non-issue.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:32 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooskreen View Post
Great point. Dell HQ to be exact - One Dell Way Round Rock, TX 78682

updated original post as well. Thanks!
Opens all sorts of possibilities with that location on the toll road. You could stretch a fair bit south, east or west and still have a relatively quick(smokin' fast compared to DC ) commute. The challenge will be to find something attractive that hasn't already 'attracted' multiple offers! I'll let others chime in with specifics...

Old 03-23-2015, 03:48 PM

207 posts, read 463,641 times
I would advocate renting for a bit (a year or so), then buying. It lets you get the lay of the land to really pick where you want to be long term, lets you get a friend network going who will have insight to share, and long distance home searches are tough and if you are buying. I mean you could move and discover that both of you are miserable for half the year with the awful allergies we have here compared to DC.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:49 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
I'll also add that most homes in the community come with pools. You're welcome to jump into Brushy Creek though

You're near Old Settlers Park and several other City of RR parks.

I, at first, thought we needed a community pool and/or park. Now i think they're overrated. Give me my big lot with my own pool and trees and call it a day, lol. We had a major problem in my old neighborhood of apartment kids using our "private park". Which wouldn't have been an issue if they didn't break stuff and act like a bunch of dumbasses. At least with this neighborhood, there's nothing there to attract. If you don't live there, you don't go there. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin