Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 07:01 AM

6 posts, read 25,168 times

Advertisements

I have searched online, including City of Austin websites, and could not find an answer to this question. I did find a lot about general residential pool regulations, and general setback guidelines, but nothing that specifically addressed pool set back (property line and structure) rules. Here is my issue. We are building a new home, lot size just under 1/2 acre, and will be installing a pool. There is 34'7" from edge of house to back property line; 10' of this is a PU easement, technically still our lot, but obviously the pool can not extend beyond easement line. There is also a large, covered outdoor living area attached to home, 6' of which extends beyond the home structure. That leaves 18' from end of covered outdoor living area to easement line. We will be placing the (lap) pool lengthwise, and intended size is 13 x 35 (inc spa at one end). Our plan is to have steps into pool begin at edge of outdoor living/covered patio (step from patio directly into pool), with the back of pool (deck actually) right against the 10' easement line. Since I could not find specific information online, I did ask a few folks who I thought might know, and each said they thought this would be okay. But obviously this is not definitive information, and as we near the date for pouring of the foundation, I need to make certain our plans are okay, and that we won't face issues when it comes time to install the pool (I've been told pool contractors prefer to come out after slab is in place). I have certainly seen a lot of photos online at various pool sites that show pools up against home patios/decks, and that appear to be within 10' of property line, but can't take that as confirmation what we're planning is okay. Any information or guidance would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 07:15 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
I would go to One Texas Center, the "one stop development shop" put on a big smile and bring all your "Texas friendly" attitude, wait patiently and ask someone in person. Get that person's name and try to get them to put their approval in writing. You have a copy of the plat and drawings to show?

Alternatively, who is drawing up your plans? Do you have a site plan? Permit for the foundation, etc? The architect/general contractor can be required (via your contract with them) to ensure that everything meets CoA reg and zoning requirements and THEY can spend the day at One Texas Center to make sure.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:09 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, have plans, and the builder (well known entity) is just in the process of submitting all to the City. But they are not doing the pool, and my contact (sales rep) wasn't sure about the pool regs. I had one meeting at the lot with the Ops Manager present, and he's one of those who thought what we were planning was okay. But since the pool won't go in until their work is complete, I need additional confirmation. You're right, a visit to the City is probably a good idea, but thought I would also see if anyone here had additional insight/information.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:35 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Pick out a pool builder, and have them get the answers to your questions. We had exactly the same scenario -- home builder wasn't the pool builder, and we couldn't start pool construction until we closed. But the DW said, "I'm not living in Austin w/o a pool". And we had some real issues with plan footprint, heritage trees, trees where we wanted the pool, etc. So the builder put down the batter boards, the pool builder looked at it, and said "I can do it with what's left". So we started building.

Let your pool builder handle the headaches.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:52 AM

True, a pool contractor will know, but I was hoping to avoid that interview/selection process until later (home won't be completed until Fall). And of course, there is nothing but a vacant lot at the moment, so probably not a good time to have pool companies out to provide an estimate. But perhaps I should start talking to contractors now, and share the site plans; they can probably provide the needed information based on those.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:02 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
my pool is about 3-4 ft from the back of my lot. My patio cover is probably just at 10' from the back of the lot. I am in the COA and built the pool about 3 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: