Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 04:12 PM

83 posts, read 104,017 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously considering building a house on a lot in the austin metro area. We are looking at lots in the LTSD area. Before doing so, I want to make sure we aren't putting ourselves in a situation where we could not affordably build a custom home on a lot we purchased. We are in the early stages right now so I would love recs of builders to get in touch with.

We would be willing to pick an existing floor plan that has been done before to cut down on costs, so it's not truly a custom built. We are NOT looking to build a million + luxury home. We would like to stay under 150 a square foot for the house. So can this be done? If you've done it, who was your builder and what did you spend per square foot? Please don't price in the lot because that will cause a lot of fluctuations.

Also- did you have issues building a pool? I don't see any new homes with pools and I've heard that there are laws surrounding this due to the drought in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 04:28 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,646 times
yes, you can build a nice custom home in LTISD for $150/sq ft exclusive of lot.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:31 PM

83 posts, read 104,017 times
thanks HTS- any recs of builders?
I saw from a previous thread you did a custom home. Did you have any issues getting pool permits in the lake travis area?

Old 04-18-2015, 04:32 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldcitymer View Post
We would be willing to pick an existing floor plan that has been done before to cut down on costs, so it's not truly a custom built. We are NOT looking to build a million + luxury home. We would like to stay under 150 a square foot for the house.
Were I you, I'd look first at the "build on your lot" divisions of Drees and David Weekly. They have oceans of plans, and will change things to get exactly what you want - including finishes.

I cannot imagine you can't stay under $150/sq. ft., exclusive of lot. But either can tell you quickly if that is do-able.

I'd start there. If you aren't happy, you can go down the "custom" route, with a solid baisis for comparison.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:04 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,646 times
Although I initially looked at building in LTISD, we ended up building in Dripping instead.

I actually looked into BOYL with both Weekly and Drees and quickly decided otherwise, as I wanted a truly custom floorplan (I first made it up on a napkin, lol).

PM me and I can send you some pix of my place as well as our custom builder, as he builds in both Lakeway and Dripping.

Best of luck.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:14 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
+1 for David Weekly unless your plans are sufficiently custom that you can't leverage the hundreds of plans they have (or that you could send them). Their process is excellent.

I don't doubt you can get a better 100% custom experience elsewhere, but it'll probably up the costs. DW does it often enough that their costs are lower, but you'll know after talking to them if they're right for you.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
There's also Tilson Homes.

I used them. Took one of their plans and modified it.

Tilson Homes - Custom Homebuilder in Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: