Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:00 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomanaustin View Post
I also understand there is no commuter train between the 2 cities, is that something in the works for the future?
Don't hold your breath. I've heard about that train for most of my adult life and there is no way it is going to come to fruition in probably the rest of my adult life. Even if there WAS a train, once you got to your destination city, the likelihood of there being adequate public transportation to get you to where you need to be is very slim. These cities are definitely not like cities that have good public transportation systems.

For example, I live about 16 miles from my office (live in Cedar Park and work in NE Austin near the corner of 290/I-35) and I've actually looked into riding the bus to avoid the 1 hour drive twice a day. It would take as long (or longer, if delays) and this would be my morning: I would have to drive to the station which could take 15 minutes with traffic even though I'm only about 5 miles from it, park my car, change buses twice with short walks in between, and then walk a mile to get to my office. I didn't even research the return trip after seeing that. I'll stick to my hour drive with my carpool buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:09 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Don't hold your breath. I've heard about that train for most of my adult life and there is no way it is going to come to fruition in probably the rest of my adult life. Even if there WAS a train, once you got to your destination city, the likelihood of there being adequate public transportation to get you to where you need to be is very slim. These cities are definitely not like cities that have good public transportation systems.
I'm still hopeful, since they weren't going through the federal EIS before.

Quote:
For example, I live about 16 miles from my office (live in Cedar Park and work in NE Austin near the corner of 290/I-35) and I've actually looked into riding the bus to avoid the 1 hour drive twice a day. It would take as long (or longer, if delays) and this would be my morning: I would have to drive to the station which could take 15 minutes with traffic even though I'm only about 5 miles from it, park my car, change buses twice with short walks in between, and then walk a mile to get to my office. I didn't even research the return trip after seeing that. I'll stick to my hour drive with my carpool buddy.
Well, that's partly your own fault for choosing to live in a city (Cedar Park) without public transportation.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:25 AM

416 posts, read 588,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.adams33 View Post
Nothing about Texas is going to replicate the Bay Area - which is a feature, not a bug. From what you've shared, it's really not a good fit. I'd turn down the job.
I've only lived in the Austin area for three months and I heartily agree, after reading the OP's post.

There is nothing - NOTHING - akin to NorCal, or especially the Bay Area, here. That said, you wouldn't catch me dead in NorCal (or anywhere in CA for that matter), but I have to say that I'm really enjoying the Austin area. It's different from Phoenix, Or Berdue, or wherever, but I like that. And I haven't even had a chance to hit the trendy part of town yet!

Don't be so sure you won't have to carry a jacket around. Weather here is notoriously random. 85 and gaggingly muggy one day, cool with rain and lightning and thunder the next. And that was just the last two days! Back in November, when we were out here on a scouting trip, we wore shorts one day and nearly froze our butts off from the wind and cold the next.

But if you want to live it up and see more of the world, come on down. That's a valid reason to move anywhere.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:08 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times
oh god, never would I choose to commute to SA every day. Sure, it can be done but your life will suffer. You just never know what 35 (highway) is going to look like. Yes, SA is flat but you need to look arond some more. There are some great parts of the city. If you want less suburbia/track houses/etc. look at Alamo Heights, King William, Terrill Hills, area around Trinity University... Even the downtown areas are getting more "cool" with urban lofts and the like.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:20 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Even the downtown areas are getting more "cool" with urban lofts and the like.
Especially the Pearl Brewery development. Easy counter flow commute to wherever in "north" San Antonio the OP's job could be.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:26 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Exactly correct on the lack of "last mile" transportation. Just as big a problem is that there appears to be zero support by any city or county south of San Marcos/Hays for the taxing authority transfer Lone Star Rail is seeking

As much as I wish it were so, train to SA is a pipe dream. I would have liked nothing better than to be there for business yesterday (as I was) and have my DW train it down after work so we could go together to the last night of NIOSA.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:46 AM

97 posts, read 123,855 times
Let me just chime in here. For folks coming from California, NY, wherever - just a note. Most of Texas is very, very hot and full of very conservative people. If you come here, be prepared to deal with incredibly hot weather and angry, red staters. You should probably all stay in your respective blue states rather than move here and have to deal with the grief.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:48 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,191 times
Also we ran out of both water and queso this week, so there's nothing to see here!

Old 04-24-2015, 10:20 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I'm still hopeful, since they weren't going through the federal EIS before.

Well, that's partly your own fault for choosing to live in a city (Cedar Park) without public transportation.
Wrong. The bus system sucks here. Even trying to go to the UT campus last week, it would have taken 2 hours and a long walk at the end to get there from the Lakeline Station. And a return trip wasn't possible at all, because of service interruptions. I don't want public transportation around Cedar Park, but it would be nice if the Austin system worked. What's the point of public transportation if you live a mere mile from where you want to go (and I would NOT want to live anywhere near where I work....I kind of like my safety).

Old 04-24-2015, 10:42 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Wrong. The bus system sucks here. Even trying to go to the UT campus last week, it would have taken 2 hours and a long walk at the end to get there from the Lakeline Station.
2 hours? What are you smoking?

983 - 44 minute ride.
OR
Train and then the 465. No Walk.

Quote:
I don't want public transportation around Cedar Park,
And yet 1/3 of your previous complaint was the 15 minute drive from your city with no transportation.

Quote:
What's the point of public transportation if you live a mere mile from where you want to go
You don't have to live that close. However, if you move to somewhere (Cedar Park) which is actively hostile to transit, transit doesn't work for you. Shocking.

Plus, your issues using transit in the far suburbs are hardly a datapoint on how easy it would be use stepping off a train in the central city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin