Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,268 times

Advertisements

I'm a fairly new resident to Austin, been living here for about a year after moving to Baltimore. I've adjusted pretty well, but one thing I really miss is a good, flavored seltzer/sparkling water. The occasional seltzer is what kept me away from coffee, soda and all other tempting sweetened drinks when plain ol' water gets too boring.

Back in Baltimore, you could buy 33 oz. bottles of seltzer for about 60 cents/bottle, and they had all sorts of flavors (my personal favorite being Cranberry-Lime). I've checked H-E-B, Randalls, and a few department stores around Austin, but it appears they only sell the more premium stuff (usually about $1+ a bottle for Ozarka, or sold in 12-pack cans for $3-5), and the flavors are generally limited to the standard stuff (lemon/lime/grapefruit).

Anybody know where I can buy bottled seltzer that's relatively inexpensive and has more variety than the standard flavors? I'm willing to drive out an hour to another town and buy in bulk if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 04:25 PM

535 posts, read 1,295,171 times
I buy a lemon/lime flavored seltzer at Walmart on the wine ailse for .64 a bottle.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:34 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,875,751 times
HEB and Randalls have what you want. Sometimes it's in the water section, sometimes in the the wine/mixer section. It's HEB brand seltzer (or club soda). It's usually $ .59 for a liter bottle.

Randalls also sells a sparkling water (in many flavors) in cans similar to LaCroix. They have the liter and 2 liter bottles, but I usually buy the cans which are typically $2.50 for a 12-pack.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:13 PM

147 posts, read 212,618 times
Hmmm. Baltimore.

You can go back. We don't have what you want.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:45 AM

24 posts, read 37,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastshore4 View Post
I'm a fairly new resident to Austin, been living here for about a year after moving to Baltimore. I've adjusted pretty well, but one thing I really miss is a good, flavored seltzer/sparkling water. The occasional seltzer is what kept me away from coffee, soda and all other tempting sweetened drinks when plain ol' water gets too boring.

Back in Baltimore, you could buy 33 oz. bottles of seltzer for about 60 cents/bottle, and they had all sorts of flavors (my personal favorite being Cranberry-Lime). I've checked H-E-B, Randalls, and a few department stores around Austin, but it appears they only sell the more premium stuff (usually about $1+ a bottle for Ozarka, or sold in 12-pack cans for $3-5), and the flavors are generally limited to the standard stuff (lemon/lime/grapefruit).

Anybody know where I can buy bottled seltzer that's relatively inexpensive and has more variety than the standard flavors? I'm willing to drive out an hour to another town and buy in bulk if need be.
Where in Baltimore are you from? Born and raised in the Arcadia/Walther Blvd area, moved out here when my husband was offered a relocation/transfer with his job. I stick with Topo Chico not cheap like the 89cent 1 liters you could get back home at Food Lion/Giant but it is most definitely my favorite type here.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:54 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,921,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
HEB and Randalls have what you want. Sometimes it's in the water section, sometimes in the the wine/mixer section. It's HEB brand seltzer (or club soda). It's usually $ .59 for a liter bottle.

Randalls also sells a sparkling water (in many flavors) in cans similar to LaCroix. They have the liter and 2 liter bottles, but I usually buy the cans which are typically $2.50 for a 12-pack.
We buy the HEB brand in the can, but it's not $2.50, it's closer to $3.50 a 12 pack. LaCroix's are more. I didn't care for the Randall's version - not enough of the flavor to me.

I finally broke down and bought a Soda Stream and make my own sparkling water and flavor it with lemon, lime, orange or grapefruit.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:00 AM

92 posts, read 113,548 times
You can buy cases of Topo Chico pretty cheap at HEB. The South Congress/Oltorf location usually has the twist of lime flavor if you want a flavored version

We also bought a Primo carbonator - basically the el cheapo version of Sodastream. We like it bc you can recharge the canisters at any sport shop that can recharge paintball guns

Old 05-13-2015, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 2,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaSLuce View Post
Where in Baltimore are you from? Born and raised in the Arcadia/Walther Blvd area, moved out here when my husband was offered a relocation/transfer with his job. I stick with Topo Chico not cheap like the 89cent 1 liters you could get back home at Food Lion/Giant but it is most definitely my favorite type here.
I was a bit further north, around Mt. Washington, while I went to Towson U.

Based on the responses, it sounds like Topo Chico is the go-to option here. I'll have to check it out the next time I go shopping. I was hoping for more flavors besides the usual stuff like lemon and lime, but it doesn't sound like there is much else. Selzter must not be a big thing around here I suppose.

Thanks for your responses everyone!

Old 05-14-2015, 02:07 PM

124 posts, read 176,889 times
You can get cases of Topo Chico pretty inexpensive at costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: