Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 01:53 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Do you have a basis for proving that two combined lots are NOT worth more than the sum of the individual values? I have no idea on the numbers you are looking at, but in some areas, a double-lot might be worth a ton more than two single lots.
I don't know the logic - except for "current utilization" of land - but double and triple lots are appraised at less per square foot than single lots in my neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 02:45 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halls1027 View Post
We are protesting unimproved land. We purchase two 1.5 acre lots less than a year ago, October 2014, and did a replat so its now considered one lot. I plan on bringing in our closing documents showing the purchase price and replat documents.

I'm curious of the process and setting. Do I just show up and show these documents to a clerk and they can decide in my favor or schedule a formal hearing so the board can decide?
The setting is that you'll be in a cubicle talking with someone at a computer pulling up all the information on your property telling you why they use these properties to compare to yours.

I agree that a double lot is going to be worth more than a single lot, but to jump that much is wrong without anything for them to base it on. Also, purchasing in October helps as you're pretty close to the Jan 1 cutoff, so even if they want to claim a time adjustment, it shouldn't be that much.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:54 PM

55 posts, read 74,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
The setting is that you'll be in a cubicle talking with someone at a computer pulling up all the information on your property telling you why they use these properties to compare to yours.
Thanks.

The property is near the north shore of Lake Travis. Past year sales show 1 acre lots vary from $30K to $300K+ and 3 acre's from 85K to $600K+. Lake front properties being at the upper end, lake views mid, and heavily sloped properties on the low end. I wonder if CAD takes views and topography of the property into consideration, or is it just location and acreage.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:42 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Thanks.

The property is near the north shore of Lake Travis. Past year sales show 1 acre lots vary from $30K to $300K+ and 3 acre's from 85K to $600K+. Lake front properties being at the upper end, lake views mid, and heavily sloped properties on the low end. I wonder if CAD takes views and topography of the property into consideration, or is it just location and acreage.
Being an arbitrator and seeing the CAD's side when they fight the value, they are definitely taking into consideration topography and buildability and views, but not at an informal hearing. At the informal, it's more about, "my computer says this and my computer says that." Very little human involvement unless you get someone in a good mood when you come in, which can happen as I've been on the homeowner side many times too.

If you want to fight topography and such, you definitely have to bring pictures and maps so they can be visual and not stare at you because they can't picture what you're trying to describe.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:31 PM

55 posts, read 74,195 times
Had my informal hearing on Friday. It was much easier and smoother than I thought it would be. It did not matter that I combined the lots. I showed the appraiser the settlement statement and he agreed to lower the appraised value to the purchase price. Didn't need to show him the comps. Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited by Halls1027; 06-06-2015 at 06:56 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 12:38 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Yea!

Old 06-08-2015, 04:32 PM

198 posts, read 318,491 times
Quote:
Had my informal hearing on Friday. It was much easier and smoother than I thought it would be. It did not matter that I combined the lots. I showed the appraiser the settlement statement and he agreed to lower the appraised value to the purchase price. Didn't need to show him the comps. Thanks for all the replies.
Great to hear! I have the same thing (settlement statement)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: