Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:41 AM

483 posts, read 532,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
These arrangements will flourish in the 'burbs, though. Moontower Saloon down in South Austin is a prime example.

https://www.moontowersaloon.com/
I was going to mention the same thing, "old" south Austin is moving further south as close in south Austin urbanizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 09:56 AM

213 posts, read 301,634 times
My experience with Phils ice house and Amy's ice cream is that they are the rudest and most egotistical owner/operators in this town. Freddies is/was great and Phils can't hold a candle to it, from their live music to washer pits and brunch, etc etc.... It will be missed.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:03 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
These arrangements will flourish in the 'burbs, though. Moontower Saloon down in South Austin is a prime example.

https://www.moontowersaloon.com/
That's true. The market demand won't go away, so places such as this will move.

And the good thing is, the area south of Ben White is rather under served as far as outdoor hangout spots go, so 78704's loss is 45's gain.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:14 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
I don't consider losing Freddie's for the first sit-down version of Fresca's to be a loss. It is most certainly is a gain!

http://austin.eater.com/2015/6/18/88...second-fresa-s

Old 06-19-2015, 10:37 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post

And the good thing is, the area south of Ben White is rather under served as far as outdoor hangout spots go, so 78704's loss is 45's gain.
Agreed. The South Congress area between Ben White and South Park Meadows has a very promising future ahead of it. Upscale livable/walkable development is starting to pop up along various parts of the corridor.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:55 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I don't consider losing Freddie's for the first sit-down version of Fresca's to be a loss. It is most certainly is a gain!
I was talking in more general terms, Central. The fact of the matter is that all these places that we like aren't going to be able to survive on property getting as valuable as it is. I can't see even new places like Austin Beer Garden Brewery and Radio being here long term. And I like and supported both those places before I moved away.

Quote:
Agreed. The South Congress area between Ben White and South Park Meadows has a very promising future ahead of it. Upscale livable/walkable development is starting to pop up along various parts of the corridor.
Strange Brew on Manshack really took off. Reminds me of the old Ruta Maya. Something needs to happen at that shopping center at West Gate and Wm. Cannon. Something about that whole place is just sort of odd and depressing.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:46 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
Quote:
Something needs to happen at that shopping center at West Gate and Wm. Cannon. Something about that whole place is just sort of odd and depressing.
It's the Section 8 housing in the area. There are "third world" looking projects off of Ektom St., a drug treatment center on West Gate at Stassney, and lot's of disheveled people hanging out at bus stops up and down West Gate. Add the people under the Ben White freeway, and it casts a damper on the greater Sunset Valley area. It's sad, because otherwise it's a great location.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:04 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Exactly. Jeffery's, Shoreline Grill, Driskill Grill, Wink, Zoot, Hudson's on the Bend, Eddie V's, Castle Hill, Vespaio, Andiamo, Fonda San Miguel, Musashino Sushi Dokoro, Uchi, Chinatown -- all here WAAAAAAY before 2010. Not exactly BBQ, Tex-Mex or burgers.

What changed in 2010 was more people with money. Ergo, more places. But not like it was a wasteland before.
Eddie V's is a bit too formulaic for me and they don't source fresh Gulf seafood, but they do prepare fish properly which is nice. There are probably like 30 restaurants of Eddie V's or above caliber in New Orleans that just focus on seafood, but yeah we did have that one (with two locations), and New Orleans is a smaller city, population-wise. I got food poisoning at Hudson's on the Bend from eating a "snakecake" a Texan version of a crabcake. Maybe I'm allergic to snakes, I don't know, but it wasn't worth going back for. Uchi is way overpriced and too loud for my tastes, they do have high quality sushi for Austin though. The others, blah. La Traviata was/is a great Italian place here back then. But the other famous places were like Manuels which is Mexican (although Southern Mexican/Mayan not TexMex) and the usual BBQ beer joints. I know I'm still looking for a proper Cajun/Creole restaurant to this day. At least Houston has a Brennans.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Too bad I'm northwest though

Old 06-19-2015, 01:11 PM

I wonder if many people even want Austin culture? They move here because they hear all the great things about it, yet they don't blink an eye when building by building that culture is erased. Hey Dallas is waiting for you if that's what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin