Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 04:32 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times

Advertisements

Closing at the end of the month. I know a lot of people love this place, but I never got the appeal. They try to make it kid-friendly by putting in a playscape...right next to a bunch of folks chain smoking. It also seems like every time we've gone, the service has been really bad.

South Austin fave Freddie's Place to close, new restaurant moving in - CultureMap Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 04:37 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Interesting...ate there for the first time last week. Burger was good...flies were obnoxious. Service was fine, took our new pup and the waitress made sure we knew about the water dishes and fresh water. Couldn't pick up any sort of iconic vibe at lunch; but it was worth the trip, I reckon.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:48 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,718 times
Wow, Freddie's always seemed packed. However, I always thought the food was bland. Wouldn't be surprised if the landlord sold for some potential high-end restaurant pad or condos...

Old 06-18-2015, 04:57 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Fresca's is coming to that spot! Freddie's had a fine vibe and we could walk to it but the food was never anything much. Hopefully the new owners will keep the vibe and dog-friendliness but with improved food. Austin Eater has a piece on the change.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:04 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Fresca's is coming to that spot! Freddie's had a fine vibe and we could walk to it but the food was never anything much. Hopefully the new owners will keep the vibe and dog-friendliness but with improved food. Austin Eater has a piece on the change.
Thanks, centralaustinite!

Old 06-18-2015, 06:38 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Wow, another great Austin institution bites the dust.

For newbies here, Freddie's was what the "old Austin" was like, burgers (either beef or veggie burgers) on the patio, kids playing on the playscape, and dog-friendly to boot. There were even performances in the theater.

I used to like going there and playing horseshoes or even borrowing their chess set and playing a round.

I recommend that anyone that hasn't ever been should go before they close on June 28. Just so you understand what old Austin was like. There were tons of places like this in the "old days" and I can now count on my hand the remaining places.

I liked some of the unique burger combinations they had as well. I better plan to get over there before it's gone.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:32 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,590,722 times
Well Freddie's is directly across the street from my shop, but I have only gone there occasionally. Nice enough folks, OK service and totally mundane mediocre food.
It has hardly been there long enough to be an "institution" as I saw it referred to somewhere.
I thick the high end chicken place might be a lot better.

Don

Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Well Freddie's is directly across the street from my shop, but I have only gone there occasionally. Nice enough folks, OK service and totally mundane mediocre food.
It has hardly been there long enough to be an "institution" as I saw it referred to somewhere.
I thick the high end chicken place might be a lot better.

Don
I don't get all the new chicken places cropping up. Dark meat has more flavor than breast meat but most of them serve same ole same ole grilled chicken breast meat. Or the others serve crispy fried chicken but there are tons of places like that. If I want fried chicken then I get Popeye's, because I can get it nice and spicy as well as with something besides fries. What I wouldn't do for a rice and gravy place with chicken giblets, now that is some good stuff. I'll have to make a trip back to Louisiana I guess.

Now burgers, you can never have enough of them places IMHO. I do like that many of the burger joints now offer sweet potato fries as an option, they are more healthy and better tasting if done right, nice and crispy (awful if soggy though)

Old 06-18-2015, 10:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Wow, another great Austin institution bites the dust.
LMAO, I have been here since 1977 and never heard of Freddies. From what everyone else says about the poor quality of the food I'm not surprised.

Another great Austin institution???? LMAO.... not hardly...

Old 06-18-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
LMAO, I have been here since 1977 and never heard of Freddies. From what everyone else says about the poor quality of the food I'm not surprised.

Another great Austin institution???? LMAO.... not hardly...
The food was nothing to write home about, but it was a great spot to meet up with other parents with kids. You could be drinking beer and your kids would be playing, all in a safe atmosphere. Also, the games like horseshoes, checker, chess, and even backgammon were fun.

To me it symbolized what was good about Austin: family friendly, plenty of alcohol available, fun activities and games for adults and kids, outdoorsy restaurant (set back from the street not on the street, streetside cafes are a European and Northeastern US institution, in TX we like more of a backyard setting).

There were a couple of burgers that were decent, like the BBQ burger. The fries were never that good, the beer was great (hey if they got Shiner I'm all in).

Oh well, as each icon is being destroyed, like Fran's and Freddie's, everybody here is passe' about it. All of these places are being replaced by hipster joints. It's only a matter of time before Austin has lost its unique character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin