Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:38 AM

7 posts, read 4,593 times

Advertisements

Hey, all. I'm new to the forum but excited to start using it! I'm looking for some advice, as I'm having some trouble nailing it down online.

We hired a guy who has his own company to just mow our lawn. When he was here a few days ago, my husband heard a loud noise outside as the guy was mowing, but reasoned he'd run over a branch (or something) because we weren't alerted to any problem.

A few hours later I go outside and see the water spigot which is attached to the hose on the side of our house is GUSHING water, soaking mine and my neighbor's lawn. We turned off the main, and the water was shut off for about three hours while we waited for a plumber to show up. Turns out a copper pipe inside our wall was fractured due to trauma to the spigot.

So I text the landscaper... don't hear back. I write him an e-mail with the plumbing bill attached, and he says the he's not going to pay it and that he was too busy to let us know there was a problem. He says he couldn't have hit the spigot with his riding mower and that if our hose (which was attached to the spigot but laying out on our driveway, not on the lawn) got pulled by his mower than that isn't his responsibility, either.

I plan to take him to small claims court to reimburse us for the cost of the plumber and for what will no doubt be a substantially increased water bill. I'm not sure how liability for landscaping damage works, though! Have any of you out there had to deal with damage done by landscapers on your property? If so, how was it resolved? Any pearls of wisdom out there are appreciated.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 10:20 AM

176 posts, read 263,604 times
One hurdle you're up against is the fact that the county does not enforce small claims judgments. A losing defendant can simply choose not to pay.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2Paradise View Post
One hurdle you're up against is the fact that the county does not enforce small claims judgments. A losing defendant can simply choose not to pay.
Wow, really? That's disheartening.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:46 AM

164 posts, read 330,027 times
Quote:
What is even the point of having a small claims court then.. this seems dumb

Old 06-22-2015, 11:00 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
It's not quite that simple, but there is some system of exemption whereby they have to have fairly obvious assets you can seize to enforce a judgement, and many things like cars and stuff necessary for their jobs are exempt. So it is possible.

It's also possible that he'll just pay up rather than have a court judgment on his record. Depends how interested he is in that sort of thing.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:42 AM

I've already tried to get him to pay, but he thinks he pulled on the hose with his mower, and that therefore it's our fault and not his. (Even though the hose wasn't on the lawn at the time, but attached to the faucet.)

Old 06-22-2015, 12:12 PM

176 posts, read 263,604 times
To clarify my previous post about not having to pay a judgment, the county simply takes no action against judgments. It is possible for you to pursue it, but it's usually not cost effective. You have to retain an attorney, you have to pay additional court fees up front, you have to know (or be able to find out) which banking institution the loser uses, etc, etc. And even then, most assets are off limits in Texas, such as primary house, primary vehicle, specific assets, etc. Wage garnishments are nearly impossible to get, I'm told. If the repair costs are under $4000, I'd say don't even bother, unless you have a lot of free time or if it's the principle of the matter.

Sometimes an official demand for payment letter will scare them into complying.

*Edit- I just noticed you said the pipe inside the wall was damaged. Did water flow inside of your walls? If so, the cleanup and mold prevention/remediation costs might make a lawsuit worthwhile. It's possible that could it even exceed the limits of small claims court if they have to remove drywall, insulation, re-texture, repaint.

Last edited by Return2Paradise; 06-22-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:

*Edit- I just noticed you said the pipe inside the wall was damaged. Did water flow inside of your walls? If so, the cleanup and mold prevention/remediation costs might make a lawsuit worthwhile. It's possible that could it even exceed the limits of small claims court if they have to remove drywall, insulation, re-texture, repaint.
The plumber didn't say anything about it, but there was water inside. It was in the garage, so ordinarily I'd suggest that the heat would take care of it, but it has been awfully humid. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye on it!!!

Old 06-22-2015, 01:38 PM

124 posts, read 177,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethBrown View Post
The plumber didn't say anything about it, but there was water inside. It was in the garage, so ordinarily I'd suggest that the heat would take care of it, but it has been awfully humid. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye on it!!!
If you have a dehumidifier I would plug it in near the damage inside and let it run for a few days. Mold can be quite the pain once it takes root.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethBrown View Post
As for the interior water, as long as the source of the water is gone you'll have no mold issues. It will dry out and be fine. It's when the problem isn't addressed and a continual moisture condition exists that you would have issues. Whatever you do, don't get conned into the mold remediation scam. The money you'll throw away on that will make the plumbing and water bills seem like pocket change.

Also, regarding the water bill -- I'd contact the utility now (your MUD, or Austin) and let them know about the damaged pipe and that you repaired it. Sometimes they will give you a break and charge you the lower tier on some of that extra water, and that can make a huge difference on the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: