Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:40 AM

32 posts, read 84,404 times

Advertisements

I am from San Diego and the drivers here are bad. But from the sound of the threads the drivers in Austin are REALLY bad. Should I be concerned driving with my two little ones?

We were looking into Georgetown and Pflugerville but heard that if we moved southward (Kyle Buda) we would beat a lot of the traffic since the majority of it moves north. Is this right?

We would also be interested in decently priced housing (under $250,00), a more conservative area, definitely would utilize the birth centers if there are any, health food stores, mom's groups (I am a stay at home mom), and sports groups for the kids.

Does anyone know how much a journeyman Electrician would make in that area? That's what my husband does.

What areas would you suggest for us? We are going to take a look at these places come April, but it's only going to be a quick trip. Three or four day weekend trip. No kids!! Yeah!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 12:03 PM

701 posts, read 2,484,455 times
The drivers are bad. I remember similar issues in San Diego, though, the few times I drove there: won't signal to turn, tailgate people at the speed limit.

The traffic on the north bound 5 on Sundays and Saturday a.m.s only happens during traditional rush hour in Austin.

You just have to be careful when you drive. Be sober-minded, keep an eye on your mirrors and drive nicely. You can't guarantee you won't get in an accident due to someone else, but it's no more or less likely in Austin than SD, I think.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 PM

389 posts, read 1,632,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kye022984 View Post
I am from San Diego and the drivers here are bad. But from the sound of the threads the drivers in Austin are REALLY bad. Should I be concerned driving with my two little ones?

We were looking into Georgetown and Pflugerville but heard that if we moved southward (Kyle Buda) we would beat a lot of the traffic since the majority of it moves north. Is this right?

We would also be interested in decently priced housing (under $250,00), a more conservative area, definitely would utilize the birth centers if there are any, health food stores, mom's groups (I am a stay at home mom), and sports groups for the kids.

Does anyone know how much a journeyman Electrician would make in that area? That's what my husband does.

What areas would you suggest for us? We are going to take a look at these places come April, but it's only going to be a quick trip. Three or four day weekend trip. No kids!! Yeah!!!!
Yes, you should be very concerned driving with your little ones. I have heard that the odds of having a traffic accident in Austin are approximately 1 in 3 times per driving event. From what I see personally, that figure may be on the low side.

I have been told the odds of a traffic fatality are a little better, occurring only 1 in every 20 times you enter a public road. This seems fairly accurate compared to what I have seen and read about.

Due to the terrible drivers, the monthly insurance premium for the average car in Austin is approximately $800 per month and when you do have the weekly accident, it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of seven months for our local body shops to work you into their busy schedules.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:53 PM

122 posts, read 407,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
Yes, you should be very concerned driving with your little ones. I have heard that the odds of having a traffic accident in Austin are approximately 1 in 3 times per driving event. From what I see personally, that figure may be on the low side.

I have been told the odds of a traffic fatality are a little better, occurring only 1 in every 20 times you enter a public road. This seems fairly accurate compared to what I have seen and read about.

Due to the terrible drivers, the monthly insurance premium for the average car in Austin is approximately $800 per month and when you do have the weekly accident, it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of seven months for our local body shops to work you into their busy schedules.
You are going to the wrong body shops. My son manages a Caliber Collision, and the wait is not anywhere near 7 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The OP should do some research on accident statistics. Actual data works better than heresay. If the actual accident rate was 1 in 3, you would not be able to drive at all, because all the roads would be shut down!!! My auto insurance in Austin is cheaper than it was in San Diego....and it's NOT $800 per month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 12:57 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,897,956 times
Quote:
Yes, and the evidence is right here -

Accurate Portrayal of Austin Driving (http://www.videofiend.com/office-space-4960641.aspx - broken link)

There is a reason they filmed Office Space here.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:58 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,679,980 times
Quote:
I have heard that the odds of having a traffic accident in Austin are approximately 1 in 3 times per driving event. From what I see personally, that figure may be on the low side.
I must be misunderstanding this....are you saying the 1/3 of the drivers on the road have an accident on any given day? Or are you saying that there is a 1/3 chance that you will see an accident? I am not sure what this stat is....

Quote:
Not sure what this is, similar to the last one . I am going to die, on average, once a month or so?

Quote:
Due to the terrible drivers, the monthly insurance premium for the average car in Austin is approximately $800 per month
I pay a little less than that per year, although we have two cars and homeowners discounts. Total for our two cars (2007 Pilot and 2002 Maxima) are ~$1200/yr. If you have teenage boys that drive, it will be significantly higher. Or, of course, if you are in a wreck twice a week .

Quote:
and when you do have the weekly accident, it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of seven months for our local body shops to work you into their busy schedules.
I was involved in an accident about 8 years ago that I needed body work for, but it took about 10 days, most of which was waiting for the parts. Granted, that was many years ago. The only other accident I had (over the past 25 plus years) resulted in a guy totalling my car, so body work wasn't really necessary .

Old 01-22-2008, 01:21 PM

Please forgive my last post. It was a vulgar tongue-in-cheek response to what I consider a silly question.

No, Austin car insurance is not $800 a month on average. IF Austin driving were as bad a many of you want to believe it is, it would be reflected in the insurance premiums, body shop waiting rooms, and the funeral homes.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:25 PM

11 posts, read 51,510 times
I have two little ones and have never felt at risk driving them around. The drivers here seem no different than anywhere else I have driven. Maybe I've avoided the bad roads??

Old 01-22-2008, 01:33 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,937,840 times
Quote:
Please forgive my last post. It was a vulgar tongue-in-cheek response to what I consider a silly question.

No, Austin car insurance is not $800 a month on average. IF Austin driving were as bad a many of you want to believe it is, it would be reflected in the insurance premiums, body shop waiting rooms, and the funeral homes.
I actually thought your post was funny and I can't figure out how anyone thought you were serious. We were down in Austin the past weekend (we live in Keller just outside Fort Worth) and I thought the drivers were far better that the ones in our area, more polite. I do have to say that there seem to be more, should I say under the influence drivers here in TX. I wonder what the statistics would say?

My auto insurance is about what I paid in CA but my coverage is a tad better here in Texas and I had been with my previous insurance company for 33 years in CA.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergirl831 View Post
I have two little ones and have never felt at risk driving them around. The drivers here seem no different than anywhere else I have driven. Maybe I've avoided the bad roads??
Either you have a avoided the bad roads (doubtful) or you have a firm grasp of reality when it comes to comparing the risk of driving in Austin compared to City X.

As I have stated on the other thread, this topic exists on almost every City-Data Forum.

City-Data Forum - Search Results

Why is this? Possibly because people are familiar with the roads and driving "styles" of the city they have just left and are now faced with the burden of adapting???

The whole topic is beyond silly, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin