Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:01 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,476 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I took a few years of Spanish in high school years ago and took a bit of a break over the years in improving my Spanish proficiency, but now I am studying it online and looking to use it in person. I am at a low intermediate level and want to get better. I realize in Texas (especially Austin and San Antonio and elsewhere), there is a sizable Hispanic population, which would tie in well with my wanting to get better at Spanish. With that said, I don't know the best way to approach it; I want to join language exchange groups, speak Spanish online through language exchange websites, but furthermore it'd be cool to visit local Hispanic restaurants and food trucks in which I could practice my Spanish and converse with them.

I realize some people may take it the wrong way if I go up to them and start speaking Spanish, since that may imply to them that I assume they don't speak English. But, I like to be open-minded and speak in other languages, so I don't want to seem like "they must speak English to me" and only order in English. Thus, what's the best way to ease my way into speaking Spanish at local restaurants and food trucks? Should I first order in English then say, "Is it okay if I try that in Spanish?" Or, "Is it okay if I practice my Spanish with you for a couple minutes?" (If they're not busy)

I taught overseas so I can relate to people trying to hustle you for free lessons (which is never fun), but I'd merely ask for a couple of minutes of chat time; Plus I'd support their business in the process.

Any advice is appreciated on how I can use and improve upon my Spanish level of knowledge in a one-on-one setting. Perhaps I should first build a rapport with them, then ease into using Spanish more. If I had an advanced level of Spanish knowledge I'd walk up to the counter and start speaking Spanish politely, but I'm not quite at that point yet.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 07:37 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Maybe start out by saying.... disculpen mi pobre español, pero .... ( please excuse my poor Spanish but..)
I don't think most people would take offense at your speaking to them in their native tongue. Adding the little disclaimer would probably help in that regard. If you let them know you're trying to learn I think they'd be more than willing to help you.
I will say that as a fluent Spanish speaker myself.. If you visit a country and can speak the language, people tend to be friendlier and more helpful.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:20 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Es verdad.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:24 PM

912 posts, read 1,286,101 times
Practiquemos Español | Austin Public Library
Expand your Spanish-language skills at the Library | Austin Public Library

You should look into meetup as well.

I think part of the problem with your premise is that there are lots of people who look hispanic who do not necessarily speak spanish as their first language.

That said, and it's been a long time since I've been there, Los Altos over by 38th used to have waitresses who spoke primarily spanish and would only switch to english if it was necessary.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:09 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Es verdad.
Claro que si.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Maybe start out by saying.... disculpen mi pobre español, pero .... ( please excuse my poor Spanish but..)
I don't think most people would take offense at your speaking to them in their native tongue. Adding the little disclaimer would probably help in that regard. If you let them know you're trying to learn I think they'd be more than willing to help you.
I will say that as a fluent Spanish speaker myself.. If you visit a country and can speak the language, people tend to be friendlier and more helpful.
Thx Sydney! :-)

I'll heed your advice. Maybe the first time I go there I'll stick with a basic order like two tacos and a drink then at the end say something like, "Did I say that correctly?" and do a self-deprecating laugh. You make a good point, I think most people are more of the "A for effort" mindset when they see it's your second language. Also, that's cool you are fluent in Spanish, it's a great language to know!

Old 07-06-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
Practiquemos Español | Austin Public Library
Expand your Spanish-language skills at the Library | Austin Public Library

You should look into meetup as well.

I think part of the problem with your premise is that there are lots of people who look hispanic who do not necessarily speak spanish as their first language.

That said, and it's been a long time since I've been there, Los Altos over by 38th used to have waitresses who spoke primarily spanish and would only switch to english if it was necessary.
Thanks, I'll check out the meetup groups! I see what you mean, there are hispanic people who won't always speak Spanish (I've had Mexican-American friends who would joke that people would speak Spanish to them and they'd be like....huh? Or 'Qué?'), so I'll try to make sure it's more of an "authentic place." Going into the more Spanish areas as you mentioned could be a good idea as well. Also, I'll stop by the library and look into the groups they have!

Old 07-06-2015, 11:15 PM

232 posts, read 360,732 times
Not sure if this is against the forum rules (advertising?) but try downloading the "Hello Talk" app, you can connect with native speakers of those who know the language you wish to speak fluently some day. I use the app to improve my Japanese, and many people will be glad to speak to you.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:03 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Claro que si.
Por supuesto!

Old 07-07-2015, 08:29 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
One thing the OP didn't say - conversing in Spanish or TexMex?

After all, this is a Texas forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin