Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 03:45 PM

4 posts, read 9,360 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the variety of responses so far, i'll try to digest it all this evening and may have some additional questions. Really, really appreciate the opinions/thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 06:53 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
FWIW, I live in far eastern Round Rock, close to Hutto. My job is on 6th and Congress. I like my job and I love my house very much, so neither is negotiable. You won't die commuting from the northern areas. I take Metrorail. If you're not driving, commuting is really no big deal to me. I'm a New Yorker. You're born commuting.
Do you ever need to stay late past service hours of Metrorail? If so, what do you do?

Old 07-09-2015, 09:00 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabroncos1 View Post
I don't understand why people like south Austin- if I had visited south Austin first I don't know if we'd even be here. But hey to each their own.
Thanks for the sleight. Why South Austin? Because it's the land of parks and greenbelts, and it's closer to downtown. North Austin is paved over and the ghetto areas are much larger, and you have to drive 2X as far north (like Round Rock) before you reach nice/new neighborhoods.

South: Better access to rural/hill country, Wineries, more Bohemian, Touristy spots like Gruene, New Braunfels, Wimberly, spring-fed swimming holes, rivers, San Antonio, the Airport, F1 racetrack, generally wealthier zip codes, etc. but to each their own, right?

Last edited by sojourner77; 07-09-2015 at 09:09 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 09:03 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Do you ever need to stay late past service hours of Metrorail? If so, what do you do?
Yes. Unfortunately then, my option is Metrorapid. Talk about epic fail. One hour to get to Tech Ridge.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 PM

615 posts, read 780,781 times
The Metrorail station is a couple blocks from the Frost Tower. It runs from Cedar Park through NW Austin to downtown. This is your best option to avoid the traffic of downtown.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:47 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,827 times
Maybe rent first and understand the lay of the land. Buying a home is a major decision.

Likely tough with the kids, but worth exploring.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:04 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,998,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDude360 View Post
. You cannot underestimate being stuck in traffic just doing something menial like getting stuff from HD or HEB.
I related to that! The other day I went down there to St. David's and got lost....for over two hours. What I found most frustrating was having to turn at a light into a subdivision and having to wait a very long time to turn. I couldn't believe the traffic. Of course I left Hutto around 4:30 and didn't get to St. David's until after 6:30. I had quite the experience. Yes, I did ask for directions but it seems I couldn't get the "just turn left and then left to get over Mopac and then come back....".

Someone told me it was on Parmer and Mopac but it seems every time I tried to follow Parmer I wound up lost again. I dunno...maybe Parmer had a few names I'm not familiar with that include the word "Parmer".

Plus, I get it Austinites!! Some of you know the roads really darned good and go flying past everyone in and out of traffic!! Austin is no place for a pokey, old driver like me. That much I know. However, once I could get really mad and start driving like an ******* I seemed to fit in better. Either that or get run off the road.

I'll stay in Hutto thank you. We still have our share of people that honk if you're not stepping on the gas quick enough at a light but it's rare.

And yes, I did have a Tom-Tom but forgot to get an address. Our Tom-Tom doesn't recognize the name St. David's Hospital. I was thinking those gadgets should have a pre-programmed thing where if someone is looking for a hospital it would show up quickly. Maybe there is such a feature but I couldn't find it. I was ready to throw the damn thing out the window. The kids programmed it to MOO every time it went past a church and it scared the hell out of me every time I heard it. Plus, I was very tired of being told to "make a U-turn". I unplugged it.

This is embarrassing to admit but I finally wound up getting on some road that winds around Brushy Creek and exits out at the end of 79. I went back to Hutto and then started over on 130 and then followed directions on my print out. I got into trouble because originally I didn't want to take the toll road...I wanted to go the "back way".

I'm ready for Googles self driving car. (as long as I have access to the brake) http://www.kvue.com/story/tech/2015/...stin/29809487/

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 07-10-2015 at 06:17 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 07:04 AM

4 posts, read 9,360 times
Thanks everyone. Yes, the plan is to get an apartment first and then purchase a home within 6-12 months or sooner if possible. That being said I don't want to move schools 2x, so we need to a) find schools we are comfortable with; b) make sure there are enough homes in our budget that feed into those schools, then c) find a rental that also feeds into these schools so we don't have to switch schools when we purchase a home.

If there are any good resources related to home/apartment rental searches other than the standard ones i might find on google, I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks again!

Old 07-10-2015, 07:43 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
Thanks for the sleight. Why South Austin? Because it's the land of parks and greenbelts, and it's closer to downtown. North Austin is paved over and the ghetto areas are much larger, and you have to drive 2X as far north (like Round Rock) before you reach nice/new neighborhoods.

South: Better access to rural/hill country, Wineries, more Bohemian, Touristy spots like Gruene, New Braunfels, Wimberly, spring-fed swimming holes, rivers, San Antonio, the Airport, F1 racetrack, generally wealthier zip codes, etc. but to each their own, right?
And....eventually...they may build the necessary highways and connectors so folks can actually navigate the area.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:50 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
I related to that! The other day I went down there to St. David's and got lost....for over two hours. What I found most frustrating was having to turn at a light into a subdivision and having to wait a very long time to turn. I couldn't believe the traffic. Of course I left Hutto around 4:30 and didn't get to St. David's until after 6:30. I had quite the experience. Yes, I did ask for directions but it seems I couldn't get the "just turn left and then left to get over Mopac and then come back....".

Someone told me it was on Parmer and Mopac but it seems every time I tried to follow Parmer I wound up lost again. I dunno...maybe Parmer had a few names I'm not familiar with that include the word "Parmer".

/
I visit that medical complex from time to time...not the easiest to navigate. It's a WHOLE lot better once you've done it a time or two, especially coming from north/west on Parmer and dealing with the low water roads that lead under MoPac(great cut-through). Sorry for your troubles; but don't give up on the area just yet! It really IS at Parmer/MoPac...kinda, sorta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin