Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,500 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife and I are thinking very seriously about moving to Austin, and likely somewhere in the North/Northwest section like Cedar Park, Avery Ranch, or Steiner Ranch.

While I know that Austin is known as a generally very liberal and open minded city, I also understand that as you start moving away from central Austin, things start getting more conservative again. We even heard from one Austin mother of a biracial child that she would *never* let him go to school in North Austin because of the close-mindedness there.

My wife is African American and I am white, so our son is biracial. While we don't really care about peoples' politics or who they voted for, we just want to make sure that it's not the kind of conservatism that crosses into racial discrimination, causing our son to have a hard time of it in school, or that will cause us to have any sort of significant unpleasantness in the north Austin suburbs on account of my wife and son's race.

Please don't take offense to this if you are a totally open and accepting north Austin-ite, I just want to see if there's some sort of consensus on the level of racial discrimination up north, and if it's any worse or better than other parts of Austin.

Thanks!

Doron

Old 07-15-2015, 01:18 AM

657 posts, read 740,398 times
I think you should seriously visit Austin before anything. It is known as a very "liberal and open minded" city because it is so easy to avoid minorities who have been pushed to one side of town. Do you think all those white hipsters and yuppie's would be moving there it was like Houston with all colors of the rainbow pretty much everywhere you go? I am not trying to make you not move there because it really is a nice place but it feels extremely white in a lot of places Doron.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:06 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,984 times
North and Northeast Austin have a good amount of diversity and biracial people - more so than South or SW Austin. The only area south with a significant number of black people is the airport (employees??)
Attached Thumbnails
Racial acceptance in North Austin-biracial.jpg   Racial acceptance in North Austin-black.jpg  

Old 07-15-2015, 05:37 AM

772 posts, read 1,060,534 times
We live in Avery Ranch and we are a black family. No issues. In fact, it doesn't come up in our daily lives. Yes, there are not many black people around but they are there certainly once your child starts school, i cannot imagine he will be the only black kid in any of the schools in the areas you mentioned, may be one of a few but wont be the only. Not a big gain, but not being the only mattered to us as we are used to being one of the few but hate being the only. I actually see more black people now where i live than where we lived in the bay area not too long ago

Old 07-15-2015, 06:58 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
My Caucasian niece, who lives in Cedar Park, has a biracial (black/Hispanic) adopted son. Her second marriage is to a Hispanic guy, with whom she has two mixed ethnicity kids. My sister, who lives in Round Rock, is married to a VERY dark skinned Hispanic guy with whom she has a whiter -than-white adopted Russian daughter. None of them has ever heard a peep, not even a sideways glance in Williamson County.

It's a real mistake in the Austin metro to believe there is a correlation between electoral politics and racial acceptance.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:39 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
It's fine. Any worries in 2015 are exaggerated IMO.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:40 AM

112 posts, read 165,381 times
I grew up on the culturally diverse East side of Austin but to get a bigger house for the money and to have a better Cap Metro commute, I moved to Leander 20 years ago.

There is a much bigger caucasian majority up in the LCP (Leander-Cedar Park micro-community) but oddly enough there seems to be more bi-racial couples. When I was growing up on the Ea'side you might have as many black families as white families on any given block, but there were only a few mix-raced couples.

Counting them on my fingers right now, I'm pretty good friends with at least 10 bi-racial couples who live in the LCP. Six have black dads and white moms and four have white dads and black moms. All have THE most gorgeous (and popular) children you have ever seen.

Weird how there are so many bi-racial couples in the LCP. I think I know more now than I knew collectively in 30 years on the Ea'side. And I doubt I know all of the bi-racial couples in the LCP. Probably just a small sample.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:12 AM

112 posts, read 165,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
I think you should seriously visit Austin before anything. It is known as a very "liberal and open minded" city because it is so easy to avoid minorities who have been pushed to one side of town. Do you think all those white hipsters and yuppie's would be moving there it was like Houston with all colors of the rainbow pretty much everywhere you go? I am not trying to make you not move there because it really is a nice place but it feels extremely white in a lot of places Doron.
You know, theone33, I think you're a smart, witty and interesting poster but this particular schtick is getting a little old. I don't begrudge your praise of Houston. It's a great city. But why do you feel this need to demonize Austin?

Have YOU ever visited Austin?

Yes Austin has more hipsters and yuppies than other Texas cities, but do you really imagine they are the majority? According to the US Census Bureau, less than 50% of the people in Austin are non-hispanic white only.

In fact, according to the US Census Bureau, Austin also has a higher percentage of mixed race families than Houston does. Look it up.

Have you ever looked a map of Houston's racial demographics? The 77004, for example, is 72% black and the adjacent 77006 is 80% white and only 4% black. {sarcasm} what a paragon of diversity! {/sarcasm}

Old 07-15-2015, 08:22 AM

668 posts, read 784,009 times
I live in 78729 (Hunter's Chase to be precise) and when I attended my daughter's kindergarten roundup a month ago, there were at least a half dozen mixed race couples and children among just the small number of parents who showed up for the roundup. On my block my neighbors are Asian, Indian, Hispanic, white, and black. This is just my one little block. I don't think you and your wife will have any troubles.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:30 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
It's fine. Any worries in 2015 are exaggerated IMO.
I agree and get sick of the typical accusatory narrative disguised as a question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin