Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a large number of home appreciation threads with people looking at short term appreciation. Do you think many new transplants are looking to jump ship in a few years to the next hip city, or long term investor's? It seems every area of the city and the surrounding burbs are having or have had great appreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 07:03 PM

16 posts, read 21,383 times
What do you consider short term versus long term? I'm considering a new home that will last me 10-12 years minimum and I view that as long term.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
Short term as in around five years. Five year seems to be pretty common among these appreciation threads. And for long term I agree with you, 10 years plus.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:02 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
I don't worry too much about owner-occupied homes chasing appreciation because they are also getting the value of a space to live in, what does make me sad and a bit worried are out of state investors buying homes strictly as an investment based on appreciation. If they are rented out long-term, then the local housing gains a unit but if they are STR or even weirder -- and there is one on my block, kept empty -- then the area has lost a unit of housing!

Old 08-08-2015, 08:43 AM

206 posts, read 299,111 times
Expect 51% appreciation or if you want to call it, dollar devaluation. Start with your 2012 home price: ie $350k and in 5 years in 2017, it should be valued around $528k.

The revaluation started back around then, 2012 is my estimated timeline

Kyle Bass, the fiduciary for the UT investment fund that purchased $1billion in physical gold that the State of Texas is building a billion depository for said in a interview, "they are going to kill the dollar."

Old 08-10-2015, 09:28 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I don't worry too much about owner-occupied homes chasing appreciation because they are also getting the value of a space to live in, what does make me sad and a bit worried are out of state investors buying homes strictly as an investment based on appreciation. If they are rented out long-term, then the local housing gains a unit but if they are STR or even weirder -- and there is one on my block, kept empty -- then the area has lost a unit of housing!
Worries me too as my property taxes creep up. Lots of investors on this forum asking about zip codes I have bought in, but I never offer my opinion. I would rather give free advice to those with "skin in the game" who would consider Austin a community rather than a commodity.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:17 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,398 times
Got a house down the block from me in North University that has been completely empty for at least three years. Oddest thing.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:31 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwayne View Post
Expect 51% appreciation or if you want to call it, dollar devaluation. Start with your 2012 home price: ie $350k and in 5 years in 2017, it should be valued around $528k.

The revaluation started back around then, 2012 is my estimated timeline

Kyle Bass, the fiduciary for the UT investment fund that purchased $1billion in physical gold that the State of Texas is building a billion depository for said in a interview, "they are going to kill the dollar."

Well gold was 1400-1500 an ounce then, now under 1100 so it might not have been the best call at the end of the day

Old 08-11-2015, 10:05 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwayne View Post
That $1B is about 5% of the fund's assets. Doesn't sound too "all in" to me. Sounds like prudent asset diversification, and nothing more.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:24 AM

653 posts, read 1,794,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Maybe this explains the increase in homes for lease, vs homes for sale, in my cul-de-sac.
Homes sell fast if priced well, and then become rentals.
But I don't see them renting out quickly.
Rent is as high as a house payment, and with a house payment there is equity involved.

Prices may be peaking. The few houses I have been watching, are actually dropping in price. The drop is slight, but it is still a drop.
This is in far North Austin, as far North as one can go without crossing into Round Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin