Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 02:00 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,982,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post

Heck, CofA is building "affordable housing" ON currently gridlocked roads (with no plan on improving the roads). My (& your) tax dollars subsidizing further gridlock.
The nice thing about affordable housing is that its residents would be more likely to take transit. If the alternative is the same amount of non-affordable housing on that same gridlocked road, it's a (small) improvement.

Quote:
Maybe Travis county (or CofA) ran out of money after providing "affordable housing" out in the suburbs & buying out all those homes in the one million year flood plain.
I'm going to need a reference on that.

You do realize they just updated the flood plain maps and some land moved from previously being Out of the flood plain to In?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 04:09 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,785,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
The nice thing about affordable housing is that its residents would be more likely to take transit. If the alternative is the same amount of non-affordable housing on that same gridlocked road, it's a (small) improvement.

I'm going to need a reference on that.

You do realize they just updated the flood plain maps and some land moved from previously being Out of the flood plain to In?
I lived in New Braunfels for 9 years. Those maps were updated as well when homes in the 500 year plain got flooded twice in 5 years.

The number of people taking transit from the "affordable housing" apartment being built on 620 will be minimal. It's a taxpayer subsidized perk for the apt. lotto winners. I suspect the same would be the case of the unit being built next to Circle C.

I was joking about the million year flood plain. But I'm not joking about if more development occurs up stream, the flood plain areas (downstream) will continue to expand.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:16 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,982,479 times
Quote:
The number of people taking transit from the "affordable housing" apartment being built on 620 will be minimal. It's a taxpayer subsidized perk for the apt. lotto winners. I suspect the same would be the case of the unit being built next to Circle C.
And if you want to criticize it on the lottery aspect, fine. I just don't see criticizing it on the traffic aspect. The choice isn't between developing "affordable housing" and leaving the land undeveloped. It's between two different types of development. Something was going to be developed (and add traffic) on that plot regardless.

Quote:
I was joking about the million year flood plain. But I'm not joking about if more development occurs up stream, the flood plain areas (downstream) will continue to expand.
Agreed. Unfortunately, there's nothing CoA can do. Even the minimal development controls it tried to exercise in Hays county were shot down by the legislature (which is why Austin's ETJ basically stops at the county line).
For Onion creek, it's even worse. The whole watershed is something like 400 square miles. Even if Austin had it's full ETJ it wouldn't be able to influence even a fraction of that.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:40 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,785,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
And if you want to criticize it on the lottery aspect, fine. I just don't see criticizing it on the traffic aspect. The choice isn't between developing "affordable housing" and leaving the land undeveloped. It's between two different types of development. Something was going to be developed (and add traffic) on that plot regardless.

I'm criticizing it on the aspect that my tax dollars are subsidizing it.... instead of those dollars being used for the #1 item that everyone wants to see....improved (or new) roads. (like the gridlocked road that it's being built on)

Agreed. Unfortunately, there's nothing CoA can do. Even the minimal development controls it tried to exercise in Hays county were shot down by the legislature (which is why Austin's ETJ basically stops at the county line).
For Onion creek, it's even worse. The whole watershed is something like 400 square miles. Even if Austin had it's full ETJ it wouldn't be able to influence even a fraction of that.
Understood. I get that it's a political football with multiple jurisdictions.

But some smart politician must realize cause & effect (state agencies? the Gov?). If development occurs upstream (& nothing is done to contain or compensate) then damage will occur downstream. (not a question of "if", but of when). Then the question is.....who gets to pay for the damage?

Old 08-12-2015, 04:43 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
The bigger issue is the Onion Creek drainage & rooftops being built upstream.

Regarding Travis Co spending in Wilco, yep...it's dumb. Regarding Wilco roads, Wilco builds them. Some are Toll and some aren't. Once the very fine Wilco road enters Travis Co. (though) it's gridlock (with fewer lanes). Travis & CofA doesn't build enough roads or improve the ones they have (in their OWN backyard).

Heck, CofA is building "affordable housing" ON currently gridlocked roads (with no plan on improving the roads). My (& your) tax dollars subsidizing further gridlock. Maybe Travis county (or CofA) ran out of money after providing "affordable housing" out in the suburbs & buying out all those homes in the one million year flood plain.

Seriously (BOT)....is no govt. entity going to talk about the impact that 2000 rooftops (with more to come) will have on Onion Creek down stream? (especially after the Halloween flood fiasco & subsequent sugar daddy buyout a couple of years back).
Having lived in Travis County (not Austin) and now Wilco, I'd go as far to say that as soon as the roads enter Austin here comes the gridlock and traffic. Even Hwy 79 isn't as bad as many of the Austin roads, though 620 and 1431 appear to be monsters.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:08 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,457,751 times
Quote:
- I oppose spending Travis County (or CofA) funds to improve roads for people who live in Hays Co (& Kyle/Buda). Let them pay for it....and/or enjoy the 70 min. commute.
Travis County and City of Austin don't spend funds to improve roads for people who live in Hays County (with the exception of those roads in Hays County that are in the city of Austin). Travis County and Austin spends money on their own roads regardless of the origin, ethnicity, age, gender, etc. of the people traveling on them. Neither of them really spends enough money on the roads. A small minority of folks living there believe seem to have a sense of entitlement to economic center without realizing there is a cost to maintaining such a position.

Quote:
I'm sitting high up on a hill in NW Austin (fat, dumb & happy) & my opinion is that: I don't want to pay for retainage ponds in Kyle... or flooded out houses near Onion Creek CC in 2 years.....or freeways that allow Hays Co to access Downtown easily......or monster expansion projects on South Mopac (yeah....I know, I HAVE to pay my fair share for Mopac, since it's actually IN Austin....but I don't have to like it ).
Just consider yourself to be paying for freeways that allow people to leave Austin and you'll feel better.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:37 PM

27 posts, read 25,518 times
I am crossing my fingers that this mess goes bankrupt. We are due for a nice economic failure and I hope we have one. I have no debt to worry about and no investments that would be impacted by one. I am tired of all the people moving here and one way to stop this mess is an economic collapse. Because our government surely does not care about preservation.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:54 AM

577 posts, read 457,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsacamano View Post
Yes, they do. As much as many hate to hear it, Austin needs to expand in every direction. Putting all the jobs downtown, while desirable for Austin's tax base, is not sustainable without more capacity or a true mass transit system, neither of which are possible. If I was an enterprise-level business (Fortune 500), I would be thinking of ways to get the people living in South Austin and West Austin to commute to Buda or Kyle. Then I'd put some offices right here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/13...97.8114089,17z
As a Dallasite who is moving to Austin starting this weekend, it's funny to see how opposite our problems are. Seems the urban core in Austin is so strong that many of you encourage sprawl, while, in Dallas, our suburbs are so strong that we celebrate any big investments in our core.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:44 AM

203 posts, read 238,042 times
Don't expect any home appreciation in Buda/Kyle for years.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:40 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,532,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChicken View Post
Don't expect any home appreciation in Buda/Kyle for years.
Wildchicken - weren't you the one looking for a nice house, with decent schools, less than 15 miles from downtown, for under 400K?

Well, you have your answer above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin