Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,114 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a job in Austin, so we'll be moving to the area in about a month, from NY. We are interested in the Round Rock area but have read that commuting to downtown Austin can take quite a while. How long is the commute during rush hour? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole2484 View Post
How long is the commute during rush hour? Thanks!
Pretty bad to be honest, so why Round Rock?

(besides the usual answer of "good schools" - lots of areas have good schools)

Old 09-06-2015, 07:57 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole2484 View Post
My husband just accepted a job in Austin, so we'll be moving to the area in about a month, from NY. We are interested in the Round Rock area but have read that commuting to downtown Austin can take quite a while. How long is the commute during rush hour? Thanks!
I would budget 75-90 minutes each way, during rush hour.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:55 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
If you choose to live north, you might look into living near a MetroRail stop Riding MetroRail - Capital Metro - Austin Public Transit which drops off in the heart of downtown.

Round Rock itself now has horrible traffic on I-35 during rush hour. In addition to that, you're husband will have to deal with horrible traffic closer to downtown Austin. I used to live just north of downtown Austin and to get to the Riverside Dr. area during rush hour it would take me at least 30-35 min.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:30 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I live in Round Rock (central - east) and commute to downtown Austin five days per week. I take Metrorail and my commute is 55 minutes from door to door. However, only fifteen minutes are spent driving. If I'm not driving, then it doesn't bother me. I don't Quite frankly, I love my neighborhood very much and love my job. I love where I live enough to deal with a commute, though most of the people in my neighborhood don't commute any farther than north Austin or are retired.

Personally, at this stage of the game, I want to find the neighborhood/area that resonates with me moreso than proximity.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:32 PM

104 posts, read 157,091 times
riaelise, where are hopping on the light rail? Howard Lane? Is it standing room only at times? Thanks

Old 09-07-2015, 07:23 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkribbonaustin View Post
riaelise, where are hopping on the light rail? Howard Lane? Is it standing room only at times? Thanks
Howard, since it is right off MoPac. Yes, during the peak rush hours, it is standing room only since the train is only two cars long (!!!), but I tend to go during the tail end of the rush hours in both directions and I always sit down in the evenings and sit down 85% in the mornings. Once you are a regular, you know what you have to do to get a seat, and I am a NYer so when you are born pushing and bulling your way onto a subway, you get used to how to travel. Cap Metro is supposedly and allegedly increasing train frequency so that might alleviate things.

Even if I stopped taking the train due to crowds, I still have options. I can take an express bus to downtown from Tech Ridge, which is a shortish commute from my house (no we don't take 35). Living right next to a rail station IMO is not worth the markup, not when you can get a good deal living not too far away from it. In my case, I increased my commute by moving farther north, but like I said upthread, I've lived in this neighborhood for five months now and can't stop gushing about it. Basically, after living in several areas both here and NY, I found my happy place and have no intention of moving again other than into a home or into the grave. That's my reality - at this point in my life, I want my living situation to really be right. I may or may not have found similar happiness elsewhere, but circling back to the OP, if she likes what she sees in RR but the work happens to be in DT Austin, it's not impossible. Many people are used to commuting in other states.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:15 PM

104 posts, read 157,091 times
Nicole, as mentioned there is a Park & Ride station behind the TechRidge strip of shops and restaurants at IH35 and Parmer. I usually do that when I need to go downtown because I haven't been brave enough to try Howard light rail. I'm retired and hate to drive in Austin so the TR Park & Ride works well for me and the #801 new larger busses have WiFi.

Capital Metro adds routes running every 15 minutes | KXAN.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhR9DrwjD5Y

Tks Riaelise for reply.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:28 AM

73 posts, read 89,957 times
Very, very long. It can be 30 - 40 minutes just to go from Round Rock to North Austin depending on where you are.

As for those asking "why round rock"?

* Very good schools - there are few, if any, in Austin ISD that compare
* More affordable
* Better property value

Just be prepared - the better living will come with a grueling commute.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:23 AM

68 posts, read 93,287 times
Default Commute Options

Right now, I am in contact with a representative of Capital Metro and they are planning on updating their transportation options by putting both a MetroRapid BRT transit station and a future Regional Rail stop in Downtown Round Rock and by adding a Cedar Park Station to the MetroRail in collaboration with Project Connect. However, right now, we still have adequate to good transit options:

-Lakeline MetroRail Station: This is a drive down 620 or I-45 to Parmer and is a short drive, especially from where I live, and is located near Parmer. This station is conveniently located near both Cedar Park, North Austin, and Round Rock areas (Brushy Creek). If you live in East Round Rock, this might be a longer trip for you.

-Howard MetroRail Station: If you go on the toll road and go on I-45 and take the Mopac exit, this is a fast option. It is located near Wells Branch, which is near Pflugerville, and is only a short drive. The commute to Downtown is shorter from here. If you live on the North side, you might consider Lakeline to be a better option.

-Tech Ridge MetroRapid Station: This station is located south of Pflugerville and is an alternative option to the MetroRail. It's a drive down 35, but it might be worth it if you're wanting to visit places on Lamar and visit Austin's Chinatown or Central Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin