Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 10:20 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

There are reasons why I understand the rationale expressed in this thread and reasons why I don't think it's that bad. For one, unprecedented growth has hit my parents small town outside of Houston. During the winter break its traffic hell. They live out in what any city dwelling person might call the "sticks" but to my parents, all the new development has them worried that Houston will make its way over and they'll live next to a *gasp* suburb! LOL. That mindset is typical of the anti growth hysteria.

That's why I can't wrap my head around just how bad Austin has gotten. I don't know if it's coming from that isolated Texan experience of being used to something the rest of the country left behind decades ago or if it's really as bad as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_ATX View Post
What is the "Texas culture" in Austin that we aren't supposed to tread on? Austin seems like a pretty big melting pot since I've been here.
Well for one it's not acting a bit sarcastic when asking what it is. I don't really know other than just don't be a jerk. I've noticed that the only really defining aspect of "Texas culture" is be nice or get out. I didn't understand this ethos at all until I left my home state and realized that aspect of being really, really social that I had was really a trait I picked up from home. Residents of other states are cordial, friendly but they think being as social as Texans are used to is seen as kind of weird and too personal. I'm only guessing that's all. Maybe Texans dislike social awkwardness? Texas A&Ms moto is Howdy, dammit.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:51 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
What is the "Texas culture" in Austin that we aren't supposed to tread on? Austin seems like a pretty big melting pot since I've been here.
No offense, but that's the problem right there. There shouldn't be any quotes around Texas culture. Texas has a distinct, palpable culture that is very old. Even I, a northeast transplant, picked up on that within a few months of living in Austin and the Austin area. If you just consider it just a generic "big melting pot", then I'm sorry, you're missing the mark.

One of the reasons why I've acclimated so well years ago is that I respected the existing culture. I never tried to change it. If anything, my kids and husband are 100% Texan and the Texas culture runs in their veins. I'm frankly outnumbered and New York is just a nice place to visit as far as they're concerned.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:06 AM

240 posts, read 272,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well for one it's not acting a bit sarcastic when asking what it is. I don't really know other than just don't be a jerk. I've noticed that the only really defining aspect of "Texas culture" is be nice or get out. I didn't understand this ethos at all until I left my home state and realized that aspect of being really, really social that I had was really a trait I picked up from home. Residents of other states are cordial, friendly but they think being as social as Texans are used to is seen as kind of weird and too personal. I'm only guessing that's all. Maybe Texans dislike social awkwardness? Texas A&Ms moto is Howdy, dammit.
LOL. Sorry for the sarcasm. It happens a lot. It was a serious question though. I was just wondering if there was more I was missing. I guess I've lived in places where the people were more friendly and places where the people were a lot less friendly. I like the people in Austin, although I never felt it had supersized Texas personality. That's probably what attracts a lot of people here. You get the friendliness, crazed football fans and delicious brisket that you expect in Texas, but you also get liberals, weirdos, hippies, nerds and hipsters that you might not expect from Texas. Honestly, I think you could move this city anywhere in the country and it would fit in.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:18 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
LOL. Sorry for the sarcasm. It happens a lot. It was a serious question though. I was just wondering if there was more I was missing. I guess I've lived in places where the people were more friendly and places where the people were a lot less friendly. I like the people in Austin, although I never felt it had supersized Texas personality. That's probably what attracts a lot of people here. You get the friendliness, crazed football fans and delicious brisket that you expect in Texas, but you also get liberals, weirdos, hippies, nerds and hipsters that you might not expect from Texas. Honestly, I think you could move this city anywhere in the country and it would fit in.
No way! You clearly haven't been to the reserve, private upper midwest! Austin would NOT work in the NE either.

Study some history, there is a distinct Texas culture that is directly related to our history and geography!

Old 10-15-2015, 11:36 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No offense, but that's the problem right there. There shouldn't be any quotes around Texas culture. Texas has a distinct, palpable culture that is very old. Even I, a northeast transplant, picked up on that within a few months of living in Austin and the Austin area. If you just consider it just a generic "big melting pot", then I'm sorry, you're missing the mark.

One of the reasons why I've acclimated so well years ago is that I respected the existing culture. I never tried to change it. If anything, my kids and husband are 100% Texan and the Texas culture runs in their veins. I'm frankly outnumbered and New York is just a nice place to visit as far as they're concerned.
But sadly you're the exception not the rule.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I was with you until the last sentence. I think all the talk about ATX not being truly Texas is malarkey. Texas has always had a bohemian component to its culture especially in the hill country. I think of liberals such as Willie Nelson, Molly Ivins, Bill Moyers and Kinky Friedman. There is always an element that they're more worldly, educated and traveled than the rest but they're distinctly Texan in everything else. I haven't really appreciated the liberalism of the coasts because it strikes me as snooty but as a liberal I do see I square more with the down to earth, blue collar straight talk kinda center left people you'd find in Texas.
I think it's the level of sociability the city offers coupled with the quirkiness that makes it unique.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:42 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Every aspect of Austin culture had its roots in Texan and to a lesser extent Southern culture.

Of course you have football, barbecue, and TexMex (which is related to its Hispanic heritage), but even the hippies and "liberals" you see were those from parts of Texas which were ultra conservative and they just wanted to be able to grow long hair, smoke a joint, or not have to wear a bra without worrying about being beaten (or worse).

People move here from SF Bay Area or NYC and think "oh Austin is liberal" and they're thinking Nancy Pelosi liberal when Austin was and always was more like Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton liberal.

Austin could not exist anyplace else.

The only part of Austin that could exist elsewhere are the hipster joints, high end "haute cuisine" places, and the upscale bars and hotels. That is the culture that is starting to take over the existing culture downtown that the locals lament.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:55 AM

240 posts, read 272,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I was with you until the last sentence. I think all the talk about ATX not being truly Texas is malarkey. Texas has always had a bohemian component to its culture especially in the hill country. I think of liberals such as Willie Nelson, Molly Ivins, Bill Moyers and Kinky Friedman. There is always an element that they're more worldly, educated and traveled than the rest but they're distinctly Texan in everything else. I haven't really appreciated the liberalism of the coasts because it strikes me as snooty but as a liberal I do see I square more with the down to earth, blue collar straight talk kinda center left people you'd find in Texas.
I think it's the level of sociability the city offers coupled with the quirkiness that makes it unique.
This is actually a pretty helpful description of the laid back Texas/Austin culture people were referring to. It makes more sense to me now. I suppose in a way that culture is getting encroached on by the bustling city that is Austin. That said, I think Austin still attracts people looking for that kind of vibe. That was part of what brought me here.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
This is actually a pretty helpful description of the laid back Texas/Austin culture people were referring to. It makes more sense to me now. I suppose in a way that culture is getting encroached on by the bustling city that is Austin. That said, I think Austin still attracts people looking for that kind of vibe. That was part of what brought me here.
Of course, and Texans welcome that. I knew a guy out here in LA who kept asking me questions about Austin and I sold him on the city. He packed up and moved and never regretted the move. He was looking for what I described to him Texas was all about. He fell in love with the vibe, the opportunities and most of all the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin