Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 03:07 PM

170 posts, read 299,224 times

Advertisements

Living in south central austin and seeing all the new construction and development is pretty cool. But when i run into the grocery store for a couple of things why do i feel like i'm in new jersey. btw, i'm a texan born and bred, but i go to new jersey every month for work. ok, i'll admit i went to fiesta.

Until recently i looked forward to coming home to austin. now i look forward to coming home to austin, getting in my vehicle and going to marfa or somewhere else. maybe it's time to move. too bad i'm still underwater on my shoddy condo.

ok, rant over. Anyone else in my boat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 03:58 PM

103 posts, read 211,286 times
what exactly in the grocery store is making you feel the jersey vibe? I'm a born and raised Texan currently living in New Jersey. I'd love to know which grocery stores at home are getting Jersey-fied? Is it the way people are dressed or the stuff on the shelves?

Old 11-18-2015, 04:01 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I don't get it either. What is it about the grocery store that makes you feel like it is in New Jersey?

Old 11-18-2015, 04:10 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
How can anyone from Borger be critical of other cities?!

Old 11-18-2015, 05:19 PM

just a rant. not the grocery store or the stock on the shelves (actually the stock and prices are pretty good other than the scary meat). it was more about the pushy clients, the lines at the checkout being 5 deep, the cashiers not being trained, the fact that no manager was available, no one to assist the folks who had no idea how to swipe a card. and again my request to speak to a manager denied. i know, i could have just left my basket, walked out and gone to central market. guess i'm just going back to my original post that the neighborhood is changing and i'm at the point that i would like to get out but can't.

i guess the dirty diapers in the parking lot, the giant suv's ignoring the customer crosswalks while talking on their cell phones, and the general ghetto feel of the only shopping area near my neighborhood just set me off.

sorry, i'll go to newark tomorrow and probably feel a little better about austin in a few hours.

and for nor cal wahine, i agree that borger is a "hole" now, but when i grew up there in the 60's is was "quite the place". of course, anyone who grew up in the 60's probably thought their town was pretty rad.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:56 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borgerboy View Post
and for nor cal wahine, i agree that borger is a "hole" now, but when i grew up there in the 60's is was "quite the place". of course, anyone who grew up in the 60's probably thought their town was pretty rad.
I'm just being snarky! My grandpa was born in Paris Texas in 1902 and used to say "the most exciting thing about Borger was the day the wind stopped and the chickens fell over".

Which is super funny for a guy from ... Paris Texas.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:18 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
I get the same feeling sometimes, borger. I travel overseas, then come back to Austin feeling underwhelmed by the surroundings and apathetic behavior. There are certain areas of town, where you can tell that the locals are unaware that there is a better world out there, and what they can do to make their immediate environment reflect that. I know which part of town you live in, and I can tell you that it's changing for the better, it just takes patience.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:04 AM

thanks all. ya'll made me chuckle as i'm dressing to drive to abia very early this morning. i think i will have a hard time getting those fallen chickens out of my mind on that record windless day in the panhandle. what makes it even worse is that the lack of wind caused the carcinogenic carbon black to settle on those poor hens instead of blowing down to lubbock as usual.

maybe, just maybe when they get congress ave 4 lanes all the way to slaughter we'll see a few more interesting local places to spend our money. attention "whole foods 365 concept". are you listening? or aldi's.

on a serious note, i am watching with interest exactly how they are finishing the huge "upscale apartment buildings" that straddle williamson creek at 5100 s congress. the initial building plans i saw presented to the city stated that there would be a public use path constructed thru the complexes along the creek to at least begin to add more outdoor amenities in a neighborhood sorely lacking. not sure of the name of the complex but there is a leasing sign saying something like 'livesur.com". it's managed by greystar. they have been around austin a long time and should surely be able to fund a small project like that.

the best taqueria in town, imho, kesos, located nearby has a for sale sign on the complex. that little center also includes "short and sassy hair salon", a pawn shop, and a gun sales facility. if queso's is forced out I may have to leave for good. lol.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:28 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
I don't think the "dirty diapers" or the big SUV's with people inside and phones stuck to their head are just in Austin. I see it all the time in Round Rock and Hutto at times. Also, people texting is what gets to me. Believe it or not Hutto has traffic jams now in the am, the pm, Saturday and Sunday in certain areas. Ugh.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:31 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borgerboy View Post
just a rant. not the grocery store or the stock on the shelves (actually the stock and prices are pretty good other than the scary meat). it was more about the pushy clients, the lines at the checkout being 5 deep, the cashiers not being trained, the fact that no manager was available, no one to assist the folks who had no idea how to swipe a card. and again my request to speak to a manager denied. i know, i could have just left my basket, walked out and gone to central market. guess i'm just going back to my original post that the neighborhood is changing and i'm at the point that i would like to get out but can't.

i guess the dirty diapers in the parking lot, the giant suv's ignoring the customer crosswalks while talking on their cell phones, and the general ghetto feel of the only shopping area near my neighborhood just set me off.

sorry, i'll go to newark tomorrow and probably feel a little better about austin in a few hours.

I was thinking that you might need to set yourself up for a two week stay in Newark. That should cure you of any lingering regrets about your living situation for a few years at least!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin