Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 06:58 PM

64 posts, read 110,850 times

Advertisements

I am a 35 year old male in tech. I have a place lined up in Austin in SOCO but have some doubts before I make the move.

Austin seems like a college town. I would like to think it is a free-spirited do-your-own-thing kind of creative place. I do not want to feel out of place or like I am trying to relive college.

I hooked up with a couple of younger girls while I was visiting, and it seemed like that kind of thing was pretty accepted, much more than it would be on the west coast. Is it pretty common for older tech guys to date college girls?

How is the arts scene there? I enjoy going to art walks and supporting local artists from time to time. Are there regular events like this?

How are the people? Most of my conversations I had with others revolved around Austin and how awesome it was, and how nice the people were. I wasn't really trying to, but it is difficult to have in-depth conversations that go past the shallow stuff? I got a little feeling of that shallow fakeness you get in California, and I don't like that. I need to make new and genuine friends.

Finally, how do you think it would compare with Dallas, for someone like me? My primary concern is the social aspects of where I live.

Thanks for the feedback. Please don't get insulted by my gross generalizations, I am just trying to convey a rough and incomplete impression.

Last edited by FleeingSeattle; 12-16-2015 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 07:17 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,149,049 times
meet people at bars, have shallow conversations. I never have conversations with people about how awesome austin is.

That being said, austin is smaller than seattle so you might miss a lot of activities depending on what you do

Lots of 30 something people more on 4th street and 2nd, 6th is for the college students.

Also at 35 many people are married and have kids.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:22 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,729,184 times
I just moved here and am on the shyer side of things and have joined a running group and gone to a few meet-ups. There are few that are age specific for 20s-30s and 30s-40s. Check out some of those see if any of those interest you. Getting out there is the key. I am in north Austin (pretty suburban) so I don't see as many college aged people around. You may not be looking in the right place as Austin97 said. South Austin, Far West (although reading I'm gathering that's a bit college-y), North Austin, Round Rock, etc. Once you get outside of the core of downtown Austin it's pretty average demographic wise. Also, have you talked to any of your potential co-workers about what they do or where they live? That may also help.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:30 PM

Basically, will I have friends and girlfriends, or is Dallas better for someone in their 30s? Austin seems incredibly easy to socialize in, but I worry it might be too much of a college town. I know this isn't something anyone can answer with certainty, but maybe another white tech guy will understand.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:42 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,909,956 times
Austin used to be "just" a college town, but no more. It's too big to just be that any longer anyway. Also, of course there's more "high art" cultural activity in Dallas - Austin can't compete with the museums, for ex. But, there's a good group associated with the Blanton here, called B Scene. Might check it out. There are tons of people here who have moved here from somewhere else and have no connection to UT nor do they want to relive their college days. I will agree with a poster above that by 35, a lot of people here are already married. You'd probably have more pickings in the DFW metroplex, simply because of the numbers

Old 12-16-2015, 07:44 PM

Well, I normally date 5-10 years younger than myself, so my range is more like 25-30.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:39 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,729,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeingSeattle View Post
Well, I normally date 5-10 years younger than myself, so my range is more like 25-30.

Oh. I thought you were talking about social circles. But if getting laid is your only concern than you're good. You should not worry.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,124,616 times
Austin:

Dallas:

Fort Worth:

Houston:

Seattle:

Old 12-16-2015, 09:48 PM

I am primarily concerned with forming real friendships and not feeling out-of-place due to the college scene. Everything else kind of flows from that.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:00 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,123,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeingSeattle View Post
I am primarily concerned with forming real friendships. Everything else kind of flows from that.
were you on South Congress having these conversations? That area on weekends is pure tourist! And college students! But yes, real people, most your age or older live in the houses, apartments, and condos of S. Congress, I live in this area and have for a long time. Very few college students live in this area.

Tight community. I know mechanics on S. Congress who have come to my house when I had toddlers and couldn't get my car to them, found retired neighbors who can pick up my kids when needed, and yes, there is a Travis Heights Art walk every year in November, and the WEST Studio Tour, and many active artists in the neighborhood (although not as many as 10 years ago), neighbors rescue dogs together, find lost cats, etc. There is a real vibrancy to the neighborhood but you would never know it if you only hung out at the bars and restaurants on SoCo itself (some places excepted).

But all that said, I know a tech guy from Atlanta who believed the hype but couldn't take the heat, moved back after one summer, I have another who is a neighbor, from Seattle too, but has never really been happy here. It is very hard to predict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin