Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:09 AM

39 posts, read 128,696 times

Advertisements

I have been reading all these great posts about Austin, getting lots of info. Here´s a question of my own...are there small towns located close to Austin that one could relocate to after living in the downtown city area a few years? I would like to live in the "big city" a few years to get to know people and the area, but really I´m a small-town girl at heart (I was considering a move to Cheyenne WY first!) and I know that one day in the future, I´d like to find some kind of smaller town where I could buy a house and a little ranchette for my dogs and horses that I hope to have one day! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 09:20 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
I'm from a small TX town and couldn't wait to leave so maybe I'm biased because of that but I find most small towns in TX to be ugly, depressing, and boring. There are a few exceptions like Wimberley but those are few and far between.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,669 times
There are some great little towns in the Hill Country...although if they're too close to Austin, I don't know how long they'll stay little

Burnet and Marble Falls are nice...

Old 02-05-2008, 09:42 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Lots of small towns, but which ones depend on your definition of small town. It sounds like you might like to live in a 'not town' . Also, depends on how close to Austn you want to be. Personally, I kind of like some of the land out toward Henley, to the West. Not that far, really, but still very sparsley developed at this time. But, yeah, you can get out in the country in almost any direction withing 1/2 to 45 minutes from Austin. Well, not right down I-35 S, but pretty much any other direction .

Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 AM

39 posts, read 128,696 times
Thanks for the town suggestions!! Sounds like exactly what I am looking for, Trainwreck, the "not town", good call. I will start looking into these towns you and Texastea have mentioned. Thanks again!!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:44 PM

147 posts, read 695,458 times
Maam, there is no shortage of possibilities around here for this type of lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohnstad View Post
I have been reading all these great posts about Austin, getting lots of info. Here´s a question of my own...are there small towns located close to Austin that one could relocate to after living in the downtown city area a few years? I would like to live in the "big city" a few years to get to know people and the area, but really I´m a small-town girl at heart (I was considering a move to Cheyenne WY first!) and I know that one day in the future, I´d like to find some kind of smaller town where I could buy a house and a little ranchette for my dogs and horses that I hope to have one day! Thanks!!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:05 AM

136 posts, read 336,708 times
You have to define what exactly you mean by small town because, the 'small towns' around Austin have all pretty much lost their typical small town Texas feel and are merely suburbs with people that work and play in the city but only retreat to there to live, ie Pflugerville, Georgetown, Round Rock etc...

Wimberly, I've heard, is a complete joke these days.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:02 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,273 times
Well I was born in a small town
And I live in a small town
Prob'ly die in a small town
Oh, those small communities

All my friends are so small town
My parents live in the same small town
My job is so small town
Provides little opportunity

Educated in a small town
Taught the fear of Jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town
Another boring romantic that's me

Old 02-06-2008, 01:12 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Actually, people in RR actually play in RR. They go downtown for some of the clubs and resturaunts, but not every weekend. There's baseball here and some big parks and a water park (not huge, but a waterpark nonetheless). But he's sort of right about the feel thing in a way. Some of the very close in towns that were small are now being swallowed up. I'm in Hutto and it hasn't quite reached here yet, but it's getting there. You have to go just a tad further out to get true small town. Hutto, Bastrop (to a degree), Smithville, La Grange, New Corn Hill, Salado, Jarrell, Thrall,Taylor, Coupland, Granger, Rockdale, McDade, Northwest of Leander, further West than Marble Falls, and further South than Buda and Dripping Springs. Some of the little towns around Lake Buchanan still retain their small town charm, and aren't so massively far that you can't get into Austin when you want to. Liberty Hill would be one of them.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:13 AM

9 posts, read 31,080 times
Hi all. Can someone explain the difference (if any) between an ISD and a board of education? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin