Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:48 PM

20 posts, read 23,495 times

Advertisements

We are kicking around the idea of moving to TX from CA at some point. My husband's company is in Round Rock. We have already targeted north of there in the general Georgetown area or ??? So here's what we would like: cute town with friendly people, charm, maybe a nice downtown? Would love a home that we can either fix up or that has already been renovated and has character, old homes are ok. Probably on an acre+. Not out in the sticks, but not necessarily in a suburban subdivision. Schools aren't critical because we homeschool but we want a decent area. We have four kids ages 7-1. We want space, trees, nice community, but not too far off the beaten path. What cities do you recommend? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 09:48 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,751 times
This is what everyone wants and posts about. Nobody wants bad neighborhoods and small lots right? Gtown is nice, you should probably list budget info to get more qualified replies. Maybe even visit first to experience summer weather. Lastly, don't forget prices will continue to rise for this some point move.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:51 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
You've pretty much described Georgetown, if you're looking north of Round Rock. What's your price range?

Old 01-05-2016, 10:08 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Round Rock itself can also work. Though less "small townish". There are several areas with home sits that are in excess of a half acre and not "in the sticks". Old Oak Estates is an acreage community of custom homes. My neighborhood has lots in the .5-1 acre range, with the common size being .5 acre.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:32 PM

Up to about $600k ish.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
This is what everyone wants and posts about. Nobody wants bad neighborhoods and small lots right? Gtown is nice, you should probably list budget info to get more qualified replies. Maybe even visit first to experience summer weather. Lastly, don't forget prices will continue to rise for this some point move.
Yeah we are somewhat familiar with the summers. It gets hot here also although not for as long. And my husband travels to tx for work. But yeah. Still not crazy about the heat part of the Texas deal!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:51 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Round Rock - trees, character, but lot is 1/2 acre. Just a sampler.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:07 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
What part of Round Rock will be your place of work?

Old 01-06-2016, 07:15 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
If your budget is that high I would try to come in a little closer, like brushy creek or something. I know you said small town feel, but Im not 100% sure what that means. ranches at Brushy creek have a lot of places with large lots, but might not have the small town feel.

The issue with north of round rock is that if he switches jobs in the area, he might end up needing to commute more central.

Lots of people who work at dell live in cedar park/leander for example.

If you are set on what you described you can get something really nice in georgetown

Old 01-06-2016, 07:28 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
What part of Round Rock will be your place of work?
I agree. Where in Round Rock? (RR runs 15-20 miles east west)

I wonder if 1/2 acre homes would be available just east of downtown Gtown (east, north or south of Southwestern)? That would be a sweet location less than a mile or two from the downtown square.

I also like the area (neighborhoods) next to the Gtown Tennis Center. Older homes, larger lots, not as cookie cutter (but further away & across I 35 from the downtown area).

Then of course there are new home ranchettes way out west (towards Liberty Hill) that might be a fit. Especially if working in western RR & commuting via Reagan/Parmer (but would be a gut out commute if working in eastern RR).

500K+ & homeschooling the kids definitely gives you lots of options. But be aware of the property tax on 600K. (& your kids won't be benefiting from the schools)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin