Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 06:57 AM

3 posts, read 3,247 times

Advertisements

I am a high school teacher, currently living in New York, considering a move to Austin. I'm looking for some insight on what it's like to teach in the Austin Independent School District and how many hoops I'll have to go through to transition my teaching credential. Is there anyone on here who has made a similar move?
Some background on me: I'm a second year in the New York City Teaching Fellows program. I'm a Math fellow and I just completed by Master's in Secondary Mathematics Education. I currently teach in a public high school and I'm certified under the transitional B license. To get my initial certification, I still need to complete the edTPA and take a couple CLEP exams to satisfy my credit deficiencies. But I estimate I should have fulfilled all those requirements by March/April. Knowing the bureaucracy of the NY State DOE, I estimate it will take another 6-8 weeks for my documents to be processed, meaning I anticipate having the actual credential in hand no later than June.

Luckily, I know that NY has one of the more rigorous certification programs out there and I know it has accreditation reciprocity with Texas. But unfortunately the Texas Department of Education site gives scant info on what the process of transferring certification actually entails. I have to register and submit my current documents, but how long does that take? Do I have to take additional exams like a Praxis or in-state exam? What does it cost to get certified? Also, I'm considering getting certified in another subject area (English or Social Studies). How onerous of a process would that be?

When can and should I start applying for jobs in the Austin school district? In New York, teachers often announce departure from jobs in August as that's when the open market hiring period occurs. Is Austin the same? When do the best postings get listed? Does it make sense to contact schools where I'm interested in working now?

How are the benefits packages? I have looked at the salary schedule and I see that the cut in pay will be significant, but I presume Austin does not have city taxes at the level of New York, and income taxes will not be taken out at the state level either. Lastly, how do you like your current school? Which schools do you recommend trying to get a job at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 09:43 PM

658 posts, read 2,008,704 times
All I know about the school system here is they don't pay into social security and it somehow reduces what you have already paid in. You might want to look into that.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:44 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,622,643 times
Quote:
In New York, teachers often announce departure from jobs in August as that's when the open market hiring period occurs. Is Austin the same?
The really progressive proactive school districts start hiring around March peak out in May and taper off in July. Schools with poor teacher-administrative relationships start hiring in July and peak out at the beginning of school in August. I know, because I've been teaching for 10 years in Texas.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:36 PM

319 posts, read 347,064 times
Zhu, the OP asked about AISD.
I hope you haven't been teaching reading comprehension for 10 years.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:59 PM

6 posts, read 6,689 times
AISD is a joke. I taught HS Bio and MS Math, for three years, and gave up. We're talking constantly shifting school administrators, horrible/non-existent parental involvement, rude, ignorant kids in 90% of the schools, and too many hoops to jump through in a terrible rating/review system. Maybe your NYC experience will help you when it comes to facing each day within the AISD system. I can't imagine you'll like what you find yourself getting into, but different strokes, right? FWIW, I left teaching about ten years ago. I've heard things are worse, now.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:03 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,124,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGuy63 View Post
AISD is a joke. I taught HS Bio and MS Math, for three years, and gave up. We're talking constantly shifting school administrators, horrible/non-existent parental involvement, rude, ignorant kids in 90% of the schools, and too many hoops to jump through in a terrible rating/review system. Maybe your NYC experience will help you when it comes to facing each day within the AISD system. I can't imagine you'll like what you find yourself getting into, but different strokes, right? FWIW, I left teaching about ten years ago. I've heard things are worse, now.
LOL! AISD is a big district with many high schools, a lot has changed in 10 years, much of it for the better. The competition to teach at the better high schools can be fierce, I have a kid at McCallum and her teachers are uniformly excellent, at back to school night each one talked about how grateful they were to be at this school and several mentioned how long they had tried to get a job there.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:40 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,453,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
All I know about the school system here is they don't pay into social security and it somehow reduces what you have already paid in. You might want to look into that.
This. It's called the Windfall Tax. Please look into it.

Also, generally speaking, teachers here are paid much less and their benefits are not as good as teachers in New York. Yes, our cost of living is significantly less, but even adjusted for cost of living, our teachers are not as well compensated.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:33 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,974,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
This. It's called the Windfall Tax. Please look into it.

Also, generally speaking, teachers here are paid much less and their benefits are not as good as teachers in New York. Yes, our cost of living is significantly less, but even adjusted for cost of living, our teachers are not as well compensated.
The benefits for teachers in Texas are some of the worst in the country.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGuy63 View Post
Just curious...What are you doing now?

Old 01-04-2016, 10:39 AM

12,959 posts, read 13,384,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
I taught in AISD for 20+ years (late '60s - early '90s) and SS participation was mandatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: