Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:26 AM

74 posts, read 71,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimkaydee View Post
As far as restaurants etc. there are a handful in Steiner ranch but there are many in 620 that are just 5-10 minutes away. The local uber guy is a go-to for any driving needs.
Thanks I will look at area. Uber guy? Sorry I'm from the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 12:12 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,989 times
Look at Western Oaks, Village of Western Oaks and Westcreek in the 78749 zip code. This area has a ton of places to eat, a Costco and a Whole Foods in the shopping area on the south side of William Cannon between Brush Country and Mo-Pac(loop 1)

Old 02-16-2016, 07:28 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil73 View Post
I have had a few suggestions on this, but thought I would start it's own thread to gauge as much opinion as possible.
I am looking for location suggestions. I will be looking to rent 3/4 bedroom property approx 1800 to 2500k per month rent. Job is located on bee cave road sw Austin, so ideally 30 to 45 min max commute pls.
Need good rated public High school and middle school.
Would like to be about 20 to 30 mins drive of downtown Austin, would only be going to downtown weekends.

And finally would like an area with a bit of community feel, maybe some nice bars and restaurants in easy access by taxi / walking.

I don't want much but would love your suggestions
I agree with the others. Look in zipcodes 78739, 78749, 78736, 78735.

Also, based on your previous posts/questions, there is only so much you can be certain of coming to a new city, especially from another country. Try to keep a realistic/optimistic outlook but know that you can't possibly have everything you want, and that your imagined sense of "place" may be very different than what you experience. You also can't work out your budget beyond general numbers.

For example, yes, there are several "bars" you can walk to from where I live in SW Austin (78749). There is NXNW, Alamo Draft House (theater), Waterloo Ice House, Satellite Cafe. I don't know that anyone around here actually walks to or from those places. Most likely not. And I don't know that the interior "scene" of these places (restaurant/bar) matches up with whatever you think of as a "bar" where you come from.

Your biggest source of misery will be an insufferable commute, so I'd focus on avoiding that and staying within your budget. Your ultimate favorite bar may be in another part of town. Your best location may have poor "walkability" by your definition. But even if you find that, if it comes with an insufferable commute, you won't be happy, so my best advice is to stick to the topic of your thread - Locationx3.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I agree with the others. Look in zipcodes 78739, 78749, 78736, 78735.

Also, based on your previous posts/questions, there is only so much you can be certain of coming to a new city, especially from another country. Try to keep a realistic/optimistic outlook but know that you can't possibly have everything you want, and that your imagined sense of "place" may be very different than what you experience. You also can't work out your budget beyond general numbers.

For example, yes, there are several "bars" you can walk to from where I live in SW Austin (78749). There is NXNW, Alamo Draft House (theater), Waterloo Ice House, Satellite Cafe. I don't know that anyone around here actually walks to or from those places. Most likely not. And I don't know that the interior "scene" of these places (restaurant/bar) matches up with whatever you think of as a "bar" where you come from.

Your biggest source of misery will be an insufferable commute, so I'd focus on avoiding that and staying within your budget. Your ultimate favorite bar may be in another part of town. Your best location may have poor "walkability" by your definition. But even if you find that, if it comes with an insufferable commute, you won't be happy, so my best advice is to stick to the topic of your thread - Locationx3.
Thanks for the advice.
Yes quite understand that I won't be able to tick all the boxes and my final location will have to be within a 30-40 min commute.
The culture is slightly different in the US form the UK from what I have scene, and barring downtown I guess most bars will be bar restaurant rather than a traditional pub like we have in the UK. I like the Sports bars so that's all good with me.
AS for the costs side of things I know I have kept on a bit about this but it is quite important as I would not want to move over and be worse off than in the UK, so trying to get some good estimate are key.

Thanks

Old 02-24-2016, 01:48 AM

Hi thanks for all your input.
I think I am leaning more towards Lakeway or Circle C, I have looked alot at both areas and they seem to fit well with my work location on bee cave rd.
Just wondering I will have to use the airport a bit so how difficult is it to get to from both locations?

Old 02-24-2016, 08:53 AM

171 posts, read 229,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil73 View Post
Hi thanks for all your input.
I think I am leaning more towards Lakeway or Circle C, I have looked alot at both areas and they seem to fit well with my work location on bee cave rd.
Just wondering I will have to use the airport a bit so how difficult is it to get to from both locations?
You cannot go wrong in either area with respect to schools though people will have their preferences and opinions on which is better, etc.

Lakeway will be longer to get to the airport than Circle C by anywhere from 15-25 minutes. It also really depends on the time of day you would be traveling as well. My family and I live in Lake Travis ISD and it takes us about 35 minutes to get to the airport (during non-peak rush hour traffic).

Old 02-24-2016, 09:36 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
I've never seen the appeal of Lakeway, so far away! So take my comments with a grain of salt.

But really consider how often and at what times you need to get to the airport. A HUGE factor in my spouse's quality of life is that he can get from our driveway to the airport terminal doors in less than 10 minutes. Checking google maps, right now at 10:30 am, the drive from Lakeway to the airport is listed as 40 minutes. (28 miles) but rolling back the time anything from 7-9 am is expected to take an hour.

Circle C to the airport is 18-20 minutes right now. At peak, this morning, it was about 35 minutes.

So if you are flying out just twice a month, the shorter trip to the airport (outbound only) versus Lakeway will save you half a DAY of your life in traffic.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:36 AM

Thanks for your replies.
You know the areas better than me as I have never been, just like the lake lifestyle of Lakeway I guess, however not sure if it will busy enough for us.
Circle c seems the better suited location, but don't know if the area has enough and could be a bit urban. I will obviously visit these areas before we commit but it's difficult coming from the UK

Old 02-24-2016, 12:54 PM

455 posts, read 464,052 times
If you're working at Bee Cave, I'd focus on Southwest Austin. As mentioned Circle C is one good subdivision, Legend Oaks and Villages At Western Oaks are others. Some of these will be in the Austin High boundary zone, others in Bowie. My sons recently graduated from Austin High, some of their friends from Bowie. In my personal opinion, both are good, each has different strengths and weaknesses, but I'd not hesitate to put another child into either one.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:19 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Ross View Post
If you're working at Bee Cave.....
We don't know where on Bee Caves Rd. he's working. It might be at Mopac, might be at 360, it might be next to Highway 71.

It would be handy to know in order to offer informed suggestions.

(note: If it's at 360 & he's renting, areas near the 360 Bridge may be a good fit. Better than Circle C.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin