Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 07:26 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times

Advertisements

I know this is a boring question, but we are fairly new to Austin home ownership and don't want to fertilize too early or too late. We have mostly St Augustine with a little Bermuda thrown in. The Bermuda is already growing rapidly, but the St. Augustine is just barely green.

When do you fertilize your lawn in the spring?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 08:02 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
As long as you aren't trying to get something new to grow, I'd go the Corn Gluten Meal route...you'll get long acting fertilization and well as some new weed prevention(a fall application is most effective) without the concerns of 'burning' your lawn. Don't expect immediate results...usually anything that does produce immediate results will usually do so at the peril of other plants/organisms/the environment/pets, etc(cough...weed and feed...cough).

Edit: Check with your Natural Gardener/Red Barn type folks to get the local skinny on Corn Meal Gluten(don't buy the 'feed' at the Feed Store)

From the Natural Gardener page:
t’s time to fertilize your lawn. Central Texas lawns need to be fed twice a year (in spring and fall) and the best fertilizer to use is Lady Bug 8-2-4. We make Lady Bug 8-2-4 ourselves but that’s not why we claim it’s the best: it was independently tested and proved superior to other fertilizers. If someone ever tries to tell you that you’ll sacrifice results by going organic, tell them about the “Stillhouse Study." The Stillhouse Study was conducted by Texas A&M University and the City of Austin, and they compared effectiveness and environmental effects of fertilizers. Our very own Lady Bug 8-2-4 All-Purpose Fertilizer outperformed all others in the study, including some well-known national brand synthetics. Lady Bug 8-2-4 is 100% organic and it produced greener grass, healthier root systems, and it didn’t pollute run-off water. (Synthetic fertilizers are a major source of water pollution--- another good reason to go organic!)

https://www.naturalgardeneraustin.co...-in-march.html

Old 03-08-2016, 08:28 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
We usually fertilize in February, before the grass goes undormant. It helps kill weeds that are thinking of growing.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:01 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
natural gardener site has tips of things to do each month

Old 03-08-2016, 09:25 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
natural gardener site has tips of things to do each month
Er...that would be the link two posts up.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:24 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Thank you and reps to all who responded.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:33 PM

772 posts, read 1,059,490 times
OP - thanks for asking this question. I didn't even know this. Will tell DH to make his way to Red Barn and get some fertilizer the weekend. You learn something everyday

Old 03-09-2016, 07:37 AM

455 posts, read 463,462 times
I'm a big fan of Natural Gardener and I will be going there this week to buy some things. But I don't believe that corn gluten is the best to use as either a fertilizer or weed pre-emergent. I used it for several years with zero results as far as weeds go. I understand there is additional information out there on the web that supports this. I suggest doing your own research. (In any case, I think you've missed the window for putting out gluten.)

As for fertilizing, I have St. Augustine grass. I have not fertilized in at least five years other than using a mulching lawn mower to put my grass clippings back in the yard. And my yard looks no different than my neighbor who uses Scotts fertilizer. I keep it watered on a weekly basis.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:40 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
"St. Augustine.....I keep it watered on a weekly basis."

Oh man....Fingernails on the blackboard.

I thought watering non-native grass / big *ss lawns west of I 35 went out with 8 track tapes, shingle roofs and Flip phones??

Here's a nice (& smart) back yard with a patch of grass big enough for poochie to do his thing and small enough to water once a week with a Big Gulp Cup.

Developers/Home Builders who put St. Augustine lawns on new home lots (in Central Texas) should be shot at dawn. Their neighbors should graffiti the open house models and storm the corporate offices with pitchforks.

Last edited by hound 109; 03-09-2016 at 08:57 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 10:24 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
The picture is not realistic for families with kids who want to kick a soccer ball, hit a baseball, or throw a football... That's a backyard for people with older kids or empty nesters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin