Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 01:41 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,785,624 times

Advertisements

FlowerPot's post on Janis had me thinking about some of the many Concerts I've seen since arriving in Austin in 1975 (for 10 years) & then again in 2003 (for the past 13 years).

Off the top of my head:

- Clash - 1980ish - Armadillo.
- Ted Nugent - 1978ish - Armadillo.
- Cosmic Cowboy Concert - 77ish - Armadillo. (lots of artists)
- Sir Doug (several times in 70s & 80s) - Armadillo, Rome Inn, Liberty Lunch.
- SRV - 83ish? - Antones (& I think Rome Inn)
- The T Birds - 83ish - (with Lou Ann Barton) at some club on 6th.
- Lou Ann Barton (early 80s) - Several times on 6th.
- Jerry Jeff - a couple of times. Dope Creek? Armadillo.
- Willie (in the 70s) - a couple of times. A 4th of July down at Southpark & probably at Dope Creek.
- Isley Brothers (70s or early 80s). At the Erwin Drum (I think)
- Spinners (late 70s) - Hell if I remember. (Palmer Auditorium?)
- Rusty Wier & Ray Wylie (a couple of times each - late 70s). Probably at the Armadillo & Dope creek.

- Steve Earle (2004 ish?) with Mary Chapin Carpenter (at the Backyard) Saw him 2-3 other times in Houston.
- Springsteen - 1999 (at the Erwin Center) - Saw him 3 other times in Houston.

Lots of others...but the late 70s are kind of foggy.

Performances I missed. Springsteen's Armadillo concert. Fleetwood Mac. Arcade Fire. & Lots of the early ACL concerts that I could have (should have) gone to for free.

How about you guys? Since we're the "Live Music Capital"....There are no "wrong" answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 04:22 PM

455 posts, read 464,276 times
What? No "ZZ Top First (And as it turned out, last) Annual Barn Dance and BBQ?" :-)

Old 03-23-2016, 05:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Velvet Underground at the real Vulcan Gas Company back in about 1970. When the little drummer girl came out and started nailing her drum set to the stage, we knew we were in for a night.

Some at Armadillo World Headquarters but it was the 60's and I can't remember who all exactly.

Joan Baez with a side helping of Dylan.

Johnny Cash.

Some I don't even remember (see above about the 60's).

Most of the others I saw were not in Austin - Dream, Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, the Doors, the Beatles (1964 in Dallas), Santana, BB King (young and old), and a whole passel more.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:06 PM

25 posts, read 24,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Velvet Underground at the real Vulcan Gas Company back in about 1970. When the little drummer girl came out and started nailing her drum set to the stage, we knew we were in for a night.

Some at Armadillo World Headquarters but it was the 60's and I can't remember who all exactly.

Joan Baez with a side helping of Dylan.

Johnny Cash.

Some I don't even remember (see above about the 60's).

Most of the others I saw were not in Austin - Dream, Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, the Doors, the Beatles (1964 in Dallas), Santana, BB King (young and old), and a whole passel more.
In so jealous of this! Especially the velvet underground. One of the groups I would've loved to see!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:55 PM

997 posts, read 1,313,302 times
Seeing Paul and then Ringo was incredible. The Ringo show was a bargain.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:27 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Neil Diamond at the Erwin Center last year was pretty cool!

Old 03-24-2016, 08:02 AM

550 posts, read 498,767 times
Back in the 70's, me and a buddy hitchhiked from Houston to Austin for the Sunday Break concert, which I think was out 290 near Manor???

Could only get a ride as far as Giddings after the show and slept on an embankment until sunrise and caught a ride to Houston for a few "J's".

Frampton headlined.

Also went to the Sunday Break II, which I think was held on what is now Steiner Ranch.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:39 AM

668 posts, read 784,274 times
1991 or 1992--Jane's Addiction at the venue-whose-name-I've-forgotten (Austin Music Hall?) that was the dirt-floored, no AC-having Quonset hut that stood roughly where the Long Center is now. (I also saw New Order and a bunch of other great shows there in the late 1980s/early 1990s.)

I was reallllly into Jane's and Perry in particular during that phase of my life, and it was an amazing show. The mosh pit was huge and the energy overall was so powerful. Halfway through the set, Perry stripped completely naked and proceeded to give a 20 minute or so spoken word performance, a la Henry Rollins. When he was done, he put some clothes back on and played another hour or so. I've never forgotten it. =)

Old 03-24-2016, 10:45 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,430,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
1991 or 1992--Jane's Addiction at the venue-whose-name-I've-forgotten (Austin Music Hall?) that was the dirt-floored, no AC-having Quonset hut that stood roughly where the Long Center is now. (I also saw New Order and a bunch of other great shows there in the late 1980s/early 1990s.)

I was reallllly into Jane's and Perry in particular during that phase of my life, and it was an amazing show. The mosh pit was huge and the energy overall was so powerful. Halfway through the set, Perry stripped completely naked and proceeded to give a 20 minute or so spoken word performance, a la Henry Rollins. When he was done, he put some clothes back on and played another hour or so. I've never forgotten it. =)
I think that was called the Coliseum? Maybe if I'd had a bit less fun i'd remember who I saw there.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:19 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,430,550 times
The Police at South Park Meadows was a pretty cool show.

Went to Willie's picnic in '79 when he had Leon Russell playing.

I got to see Tom Petty and Bob Dylan at a joint show at the Erwin Center, early '80s I think.

Willie's picnic out by Jonestown 2003? with Neil Young and Crazy Horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin