Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 08:28 PM

9 posts, read 10,444 times

Advertisements

Wow! Totally NOT what I was asking at all Dynamoo. Basically I just wanted to know how similar the DFW area and the Austin area were. I guess "culture shock" was the wrong phrase.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:13 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
The lack of mowing used to bother me but now I like it. Austin is like that in many ways. You get used to its quirks.

The only thing you can't get used to is traffic, because it just keeps getting worse.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:32 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,774 times
Suburbs in the majority of metro areas around the United States are probably pretty similar culturally.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:18 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,186,183 times
Default What IS culture shock?

Culture = mowing. You can't experience "culture shock" in Texas; the lawn cutting is THAT good.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Culture = mowing. You can't experience "culture shock" in Texas; the lawn cutting is THAT good.
I presume this is tongue in cheek (can't tell for sure because there are no emoticons) but all jokes aside, the physical appearance of a city is part of its culture. If you're used to a fully manicured lawn then a jungle can be a shock...

Old 06-11-2016, 04:50 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I presume this is tongue in cheek (can't tell for sure because there are no emoticons) but all jokes aside, the physical appearance of a city is part of its culture. If you're used to a fully manicured lawn then a jungle can be a shock...

I invite you to drive from MoPac into town on 5th Street. Just as the ramp merges onto the through street, there are weeds(not flowers) cascading from the median onto the road surface. It looks absolutely horrible, as though the area is abandoned. There are many, many examples like this. It's not about seeding for the next flower season, it's about UGLY !!! Conversely, the roadside along Exposition from Lake Austin Blvd northward has been mowed maybe 15' back from the curb(along with the nuisance strip) and the area beyond left 'natural'...IMO, this is the way it SHOULD be done. Same along Bull Creek approaching the new proposed development are @ 45th. Nothing manicured; but it sure looks like someone is taking care of the area vs leaving it wild(and ugly).

Old 06-12-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I invite you to drive from MoPac into town on 5th Street. Just as the ramp merges onto the through street, there are weeds(not flowers) cascading from the median onto the road surface. It looks absolutely horrible, as though the area is abandoned. There are many, many examples like this. It's not about seeding for the next flower season, it's about UGLY !!! Conversely, the roadside along Exposition from Lake Austin Blvd northward has been mowed maybe 15' back from the curb(along with the nuisance strip) and the area beyond left 'natural'...IMO, this is the way it SHOULD be done. Same along Bull Creek approaching the new proposed development are @ 45th. Nothing manicured; but it sure looks like someone is taking care of the area vs leaving it wild(and ugly).
I think there is some middle ground. I do like the look of mowing the first 5 feet along roads and letting the rest be "natural".

However, I think you just need to be patient about MoPac. There is no point in mowing stuff around a major construction area. Get all the construction done, then mow at the end. Most likely, the final elevation of that are may be different so this is a moot point.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:32 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I think there is some middle ground. I do like the look of mowing the first 5 feet along roads and letting the rest be "natural".

However, I think you just need to be patient about MoPac. There is no point in mowing stuff around a major construction area. Get all the construction done, then mow at the end. Most likely, the final elevation of that are may be different so this is a moot point.

I won't give it another thought until I drive down their next Saturday; BUT it's not in the MoPac construction zone, it's FIFTH STREET...the main way many folks get downtown...and it's UGLY !!!

Old 06-12-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I won't give it another thought until I drive down their next Saturday; BUT it's not in the MoPac construction zone, it's FIFTH STREET...the main way many folks get downtown...and it's UGLY !!!
I'll take a look next time I drive down. I usually avoid the 5th Street exit on account of the traffic rearrangements for MoPac. I take Windsor exit and navigate up Lamar usually.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:37 PM

68 posts, read 91,576 times
I'm from Plano and now live in NE Austin.
Really, there's not much difference at all.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-24-2016 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin