Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 06:48 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthehey View Post
Wow. I live in Chicago and am considering a relo to Austin. I was thinking Austin seemed one of the more tolerant areas to live. But some of these comments are really judgmental and closed-minded for a city that is supposed to pride itself on the opposite.

Sure Chicago definitely has it's share of big city problems. And there is the typical good-natured teasing of those of us who live in the burbs and not downtown. But accusing a suburban officer of dumping a homeless person or criminal in the city with malice is something I don't think I've ever heard before.

I find the attitude disappointing and pretty ridiculous.... I'm sure some people will tell me to stay where I am if I don't like it, and you don't want more transplants there anyway, diluting your perfect energy. Well, to that I say, if this is your brand of energy, it is prob for the best that you keep it to yourself.
I think you should live here and experience this problem yourself before interjecting your opinion into a situation that's a hot button issue for Austin residents. Or the next time you visit, take a walk down Guadalupe between MLK and 29th and then head over for a stroll in the area of Red River and 7th Street so you can have a better idea of the issue.

Austin is well known as a city where it's "easier" to be homeless, both in the homeless population and law enforcement in other cities (and not just burbs of Austin.) There's at least one other Texas city that will purchase Austin bound bus tickets for their homeless. For what it's worth, I don't think this Georgetown LEO was trying to dump a teen killer on the streets of Austin. I do think he was legitimately trying to help a homeless kid get to his destination where he knew there would be services to help him -- all while getting him out of Georgetown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 09:05 PM

188 posts, read 597,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
the area of Red River and 7th Street
How long has that area been like this? Being a block from APD/court didn't make it any safer, maybe they should move it right next to APD?.
I guess the parking lot at 7th & Neches can get quite dangerous at night?

Old 04-24-2016, 09:24 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND321 View Post
How long has that area been like this? Being a block from APD/court didn't make it any safer, maybe they should move it right next to APD?.
I guess the parking lot at 7th & Neches can get quite dangerous at night?
That ARCH facility has been there for over a decade, but the area has been a congregating place for drugs, crime and the down trodden for as long as I can remember. There were also social services (eg: Caritas, Salvation Army etc.) already in the area as well as easy access to things like liquor and a constant flow of people to panhandle and sometimes rob. Opening the ARCH facility just magnified what was already there.

It's a sad state of affairs that so much of the negative behaviors happen there right in the open so close to the police station. If I regularly spot drug deals and property crimes as I drive by, certainly a vigilant police effort could clean a lot of that up.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:32 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Sure is, and Wilco voters know why. You get what you pay for, and it's convenient to have a biggun' nearby to dump your problems on, right?
It appears the kid made a choice, and that was to go to Austin, just like the homeless from other parts of the country make the welcoming Capitol City their destination. You are reaping what you have sown.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:35 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
it is laughably stupid to accuse a town of being "old white and paranoid" while at the same time being upset that the off duty cop in that town dropped someone off in Austin that later committed a murder

that sounds like a truly hypocritical moron talking there

if you want to call out others for being "old white and paranoid" then you have no place to be upset when there are consequences to your desire to have Austin be a place that accepts every transient on earth and lets them roam freely while often breaking numerous "small meaningless laws"

if you are so "young, open minded and racially harmonious" then accept what comes along with that and embrace the "grittiness" of it and stand proud and dignified while you tell the rest of us how much better than you are because you do not mind stepping in a little urine or feces on your daily walk and you do not mind being aggressively, politely, demanded to give someone that is clearly wasted out of their mind some money for "food"

you are all "righteous" and and so much "better" than everyone that does not embrace your brand of stupidity and lack of standards right up to and until the time comes that one of these "down and out could be you and me just needs a hand up" types does something more serious than spit on someone for ignoring their demand for change, shop lifts, steals someones property when they are not looking or any of the other "really just buy a new one" type crimes that you brush off

now is the time you should REALLY stand up and let everyone know how much better you are than they are and brush off this murder as just a consequence of not living "in the suburbs" with your doors locked tight "clinging to your guns and bible with your aging white hands"

this is what makes Austin "edgy" and "diverse" and "alive" and not bland and boring like Williamson County you should celebrate it and welcome it and put the "welcome mat" out and let others know that Austin has learned from this and now will be even more embracing of those that are "abandoned by others" and Austin will redouble their efforts to attract and help these types

instead your hate and anger and inability to really live as you talk is going to drive these types away from Austin and towards other places that might lock them away for doing crime instead of giving them a place to wash up, rest up, fuel up and a goodie bag before they head back out to the streets to help make Austin the real "urban mecca" that it is
+1

Gotta laugh at the racist/ageists who bring up "old & white" all the time.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:01 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
+1

Gotta laugh at the racist/ageists who bring up "old & white" all the time.

I tell the demographic truth, and all you can do is respond with names.

Median resident age of Georgetown: 46.8 years old

Median resident age of Austin: 32.0 years old

Old 04-25-2016, 07:38 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,933 times
Default I hope I'm not misscharacterizing anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
...You are reaping what you have sown.
Hey, everybody, especially those who don't have to pay the taxes, likes Austin. Bums and Willco have THAT in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin