Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:30 PM

34 posts, read 33,694 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am curious about the potential neighborhoods near LASA- we have been totally sold on relocating to Dripping Springs this summer. We found a rental, love the rural feel, and want to be near 4H, and horse options for our other daughter. We were just notified that there is potentially a spot for our older daughter at LASA and now we are perplexed and confused. I was really happy with the Dripping Springs high school that we visited and felt great with our decision till I received this news today. Obviously, it is something we are excited about, but we wouldn't want to commute. We would need to change the whole plan. Just wondering if it's worth it.....

Thanks!!
This forum has been my saving grace with this move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 04:11 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,134,804 times
You can live anywhere in AISD. I would talk to a realtor, not much housing close to LBJ/LASA.

LASA is a great school but it is not for everyone. My daughter also had a slot there last year but she chose another school instead. LASA is best for focused kids who are fairly strong across all academic areas as well as competitive by nature.

Was your daughter able to shadow at LASA? Where does she want to go to school?

Old 05-03-2016, 07:14 PM

thank you for responding centralaustinite!
we're actually not in austin yet. will be there early july.
I wish she could have shadowed there. we visited spring break and got a tour of dripping springs high. she's very focused, intelligent, and she will compare herself to others that are doing better, which is not great....she was initially interested in LASA, but when I saw we missed the application deadline, we gave it up.
I am just wondering what kind of neighborhoods would be out that way, which would not be a big commute, and still have that country feel. we want to buy some property and still have that lively sense of community as far as 4H, markets etc.
thanks!!!

Old 05-03-2016, 07:26 PM

772 posts, read 1,063,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasheika View Post
thank you for responding centralaustinite!
we're actually not in austin yet. will be there early july.
I wish she could have shadowed there. we visited spring break and got a tour of dripping springs high. she's very focused, intelligent, and she will compare herself to others that are doing better, which is not great....she was initially interested in LASA, but when I saw we missed the application deadline, we gave it up.
I am just wondering what kind of neighborhoods would be out that way, which would not be a big commute, and still have that country feel. we want to buy some property and still have that lively sense of community as far as 4H, markets etc.
thanks!!!
Hi, am curious what the process was for your daughter. I understand that you are not in Austin yet? I thought u could only apply to LASA if you had an actual address within AISD boundaries. We have friends moving from out of state with a kid interested in LASA and they said they were told they had to have an AISD address to even apply. Perhaps they got the wrong information

Old 05-03-2016, 08:34 PM

perhaps things open up if there are still slots to fill in a certain grade.

Last edited by rasheika; 05-03-2016 at 10:00 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 09:51 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,134,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
Hi, am curious what the process was for your daughter. I understand that you are not in Austin yet? I thought u could only apply to LASA if you had an actual address within AISD boundaries. We have friends moving from out of state with a kid interested in LASA and they said they were told they had to have an AISD address to even apply. Perhaps they got the wrong information
This was true last year but not this year. You can apply to LASA out of district but you have to have an AISD address by the time you enroll.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:45 AM

45 posts, read 57,149 times
I can't comment on LASA but we moved to Dripping Springs almost three years ago and we LOVE it here! We have three at the High school and been very impressed the academics, athletics, music, teachers and students. We love the rural community feeling here without being crazy far from Austin. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help!

Old 05-04-2016, 07:49 AM

that's really great to hear kylerboys! I had that feeling.
thanks!!

Old 05-04-2016, 07:53 AM

455 posts, read 465,940 times
Consider the possibility that either choice will be a good one for your family.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:30 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,834,297 times
I wouldn't trade DSISD for LASA unless you genuinely preferred living 'in Austin.'

Very different lifestyles. Everybody I've spoken with out in Dripping loves it. Same thing with folks in our neighborhood (Mueller, near LASA). But probably you'd visit both and your gut would prefer one over the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin