Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 11:15 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakLady View Post
and the drudgery of having to own a vehicle and drive places,
Owning and driving a car is one of the greatest experiences humans have ever had. Cars are the ultimate expression of FREEDOM. They allow me to go wherever I want whenever I want. I love cars. If I had a bigger garage I would have even more. I have three of them and a motorcycle and would never live where I couldn't drive constantly.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:24 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But I'm from Texas, born and raised. I know what to expect. I'm relocating to Texas soon and post in the Dallas, Houston and Austin forums to gauge which city would be a good fit but my criteria isn't necessarily good vibes or lax liberal atmosphere but which one offers the best jobs, QOL, economy, COL, etc. They're all practical reasons. I'm not going to find myself. I'm going to be close to family and to build a career. LA is a fine city, one of my favs. I'm not unhappy here because the city doesn't define me, the San Fernando Valley is my second home, I'm getting tired of the cost of living going high and the prospects for home and land ownership dwindling. Other than that I randomly post in between lags at my office job (shhh don't tell my boss) to engage in convos about Texas in general to pass the time. That's all.

Why the hostility all of a sudden? I don't come to bash the city like so many others do.
I was pretty clear that I did not intend my previous post in a mean-spirited way. I will reiterate that, and explain further.

When you make a post such as your previous one in which you refer to people moving "here", you are implying that you live here yourself, when you don't. It's kind of odd to present yourself as an Austinite/Texan then ask why other people want to move here. This isn't the first time you've done so. You have spent a couple years here in fact asking many many questions about life in Austin that contradict your statements in this post. You've been told many times to actually visit Austin and see what it's like for yourself, so when you are seen posing as an insider commenting on people doing the same thing that you are, it's mention-worthy.

All I'm suggesting is that your own reasons for obsession with Austin may be exactly the same as the people that you asked about. So if your question "Why does Austin seem to attract a small but significant portion of the population that wants a city to define them?" was a genuine one, you are probably in the best position to answer it.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:28 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,222,814 times
I cant honestly understand why you came to Austin or texas in general if you don't like to drive. we like our vehicles in texas bigger the better.

besure to tell all your Houston friends to leave too we don't need anymore transplants.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:35 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I was pretty clear that I did not intend my previous post in a mean-spirited way. I will reiterate that, and explain further.

When you make a post such as your previous one in which you refer to people moving "here", you are implying that you live here yourself, when you don't. It's kind of odd to present yourself as an Austinite/Texan then ask why other people want to move here. This isn't the first time you've done so. You have spent a couple years here in fact asking many many questions about life in Austin that contradict your statements in this post. You've been told many times to actually visit Austin and see what it's like for yourself, so when you are seen posing as an insider commenting on people doing the same thing that you are, it's mention-worthy.

All I'm suggesting is that your own reasons for obsession with Austin may be exactly the same as the people that you asked about. So if your question "Why does Austin seem to attract a small but significant portion of the population that wants a city to define them?" was a genuine one, you are probably in the best position to answer it.Why does Austin seem to attract a small but significant portion of the population that wants a city to define them
I ask about QOL if that's what you mean. I don't think I've ever asked about will the city be a good fit for me because I'm liberal, vegan, have a peanut allergy, love nature, etc etc, or whatever else list to see if the city will fit like glove. I've asked about amenities as in is there a lot of stuff to do. I've asked about what kind of character Austin has before to contrast it from the other Texas cities. But even then it was never to have the city identify me, but just what Austin is like. That's about the closest I can get to as to what you're accusing me of doing.

Also I have a habit of putting here instead of there sometimes but I don't mean to come off as though I live there. I don't catch myself when I do that but I don't try to make it seem as though I'm an insider. Ive tried to make it apparent of the fact that I live in LA many many times. Otherwise I wouldn't ask about the city or you wouldn't know I don't live in ATX and an in LA.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:35 AM

240 posts, read 272,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
You have not experience bland until you have been to Florida...
Now, I want some Bru's Room wings. Grilled BBQ...mmm....

Old 06-01-2016, 11:43 AM

163 posts, read 158,776 times
Do you know what else sucks in Austin?

Philly cheesesteaks and Chicago pizza.

Definitely a reason to leave.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I ask about QOL if that's what you mean. I don't think I've ever asked about will the city be a good fit for me because I'm liberal, vegan, have a peanut allergy, love nature, etc etc, or whatever else list to see if the city will fit like glove. I've asked about amenities as in is there a lot of stuff to do. I've asked about what kind of character Austin has before to contrast it from the other Texas cities. But even then it was never to have the city identify me, but just what Austin is like. That's about the closest I can get to as to what you're accusing me of doing.

Also I have a habit of putting here instead of there sometimes but I don't mean to come off as though I live there. I don't catch myself when I do that but I don't try to make it seem as though I'm an insider. Ive tried to make it apparent of the fact that I live in LA many many times. Otherwise I wouldn't ask about the city or you wouldn't know I don't live in ATX and an in LA.
Whatever floats your boat, dude. There's plenty of evidence to the contrary, but I'm not quite pedantic and nitpicky enough to start a quote war here.

If you really want to know why people are so interested in moving here, just ask yourself why *you* are so interested in moving here. I doubt that the reasons between you and they are that far apart.

Whenever a low post count newb shows up and starts an ambiguous hit-and-run thread such as this, the intended effect is usually just what we see here - instant pages of dialogue on an otherwise slow forum.

Mission>accomplished!

Old 06-01-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Whatever floats your boat, dude. There's plenty of evidence to the contrary, but I'm not quite pedantic and nitpicky enough to start a quote war here.

If you really want to know why people are so interested in moving here, just ask yourself why *you* are so interested in moving here. I doubt that the reasons between you and they are that far apart.

Whenever a low post count newb shows up and starts an ambiguous hit-and-run thread such as this, the intended effect is usually just what we see here - instant pages of dialogue on an otherwise slow forum.

Mission>accomplished!
Nor Cal, I intended to differentiate the difference between the people, prolly such as yourself who moved to Texas, (pick any Texas city but Austin is the most popular) looking for a practical way of life in a fun growing robust and eclectic city vs those searching for an identity but couldn't find it in whatever city because the vibe just wasn't cool enough. As I said in my op im talking about a small portion of the population that moves to Austin, not most transplants. The types that will hate on it because people drive everywhere and there are no good bagels. The people who wish to see NYC or Portland in Texas but can't find it. Things as nitpicky as that.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Nor Cal, I intended to differentiate the difference between the people, prolly such as yourself who moved to Texas, (pick any Texas city but Austin is the most popular) looking for a practical way of life in a fun growing robust and eclectic city vs those searching for an identity but couldn't find it in whatever city because the vibe just wasn't cool enough. As I said in my op im talking about a small portion of the population that moves to Austin, not most transplants. The types that will hate on it because people drive everywhere and there are no good bagels. The people who wish to see NYC or Portland in Texas but can't find it. Things as nitpicky as that.
Right. Just like the things you post about LA and California, which you moved to from somewhere else with the best of intentions, but by your own admission hasn't worked out. You've posted some pretty inflammatory objections to the residents there.

I read and retain well. I think I've pretty well figured you out after co-mingling at the same forum for awhile. I don't believe I'm far off the mark here at all.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Right. Just like the things you post about LA and California, which you moved to from somewhere else with the best of intentions, but by your own admission hasn't worked out. You've posted some pretty inflammatory objections to the residents there.

I read and retain well. I think I've pretty well figured you out after co-mingling at the same forum for awhile. I don't believe I'm far off the mark here at all.
You retain well but don't get my intentions. I moved out here to LA for monetary purposes. I nearly doubled my salary and made out like a bandit. That is until the recent hike in rents that hit the whole city. Then I realized how difficult it would be attain some of things I grew up with in Texas; land, homes, cars, etc. The more I thought about that and the rat race, the more I wanted to move home. That's different than hating LA because it doesn't have the right kind of Mexican food. How can you not tell the difference?
My main objection to some of the thinking in LA is due to the QOL over COL mentality many people have (if you take out just having family here). Even when I quantified the costs to some people they still just snidely quip that they would t because "they'd have to live in Texas". That was and is always my main gripe with that certain type of person in LA. I relayed that you as just being a totally polar way of thinking on my part but you still took offense to that and that's where I think your animosity comes from. I even tried to be nice by saying perhaps they have the right way of thinking and I'm the materialistic one?

I don't believe I'm that far off the mark here at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin