Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 5,930 times

Advertisements

Has anybody experience any USDA loans here in austin? i see a map that pretty much took out the entire town of austin and some small communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 04:58 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac9yv3r View Post
Has anybody experience any USDA loans here in austin? i see a map that pretty much took out the entire town of austin and some small communities.
yes, USDA loans are meant to be used by low income folk buying homes in rural areas in need of redevelopment -- try small town Iowa. Central Texas doesn't fit ANY of their criteria.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:06 PM

7 posts, read 5,930 times
i see a few open spots north and south by the airport.. just see if anybody here has delt with them and process.. Like to get my docs and ducks in a roll so when time comes i can present them and guess do the dance with them.. Sad in this day and age, all it took was a loan from a bank, pay the developer, get keys and move in.. now everybody wants there hands in the pie.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:48 PM

230 posts, read 544,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
yes, USDA loans are meant to be used by low income folk buying homes in rural areas in need of redevelopment -- try small town Iowa. Central Texas doesn't fit ANY of their criteria.
You are not correct. Parts of Willaimsn and Hays County are eligible. I know for a fact a friend uses USDA financing in Hutto. As far as Austin proper you are correct but try not to paint a road picture and insult people.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
There are quite a few USDA loan areas in Central Texas, centralaustinite's uninformed statement notwithstanding. I've had several clients use them. Austin itself, no, but there are entire towns that are USDA, and, heck, until recentlyl, some houses in Sun City qualified because they were ranch land at the previous census! Parts of Pflugerville were until the last census, as well and, in fact, based on the USDA map here, parts of it still are.

You can plug in any address into this web page and find out if it is USDA eligible. You can also get information on income eligibility and income limits (number in household counts - in Travis/Hays/Williamson County area it tops out at $116,000 annually with 5 or more household members.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:14 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
3 years ago we knew of a family who used one on a home in a newer community in Leander, past Crystal Falls. Took longer than usual to close, of course, but it did.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
3 years ago we knew of a family who used one on a home in a newer community in Leander, past Crystal Falls. Took longer than usual to close, of course, but it did.
If I recall the timing correctly, about that time they closed one USDA processing office and sent everything to the other one, and that slowed things down dramatically for a while.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:03 AM

455 posts, read 463,839 times
USDA is, as mentioned for rural areas. Therefore Austin won't be eligible. But I've sold in Kyle where they were used and I know that in small towns such as Thrall (east of Taylor) it's possible to get a USDA loan. As mentioned, it does take longer. My advice is to talk to a lender specializing in mortgages (as opposed to a big box bank) to find out which program is best for you.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Ross View Post
USDA is, as mentioned for rural areas. Therefore Austin won't be eligible. But I've sold in Kyle where they were used and I know that in small towns such as Thrall (east of Taylor) it's possible to get a USDA loan. As mentioned, it does take longer. My advice is to talk to a lender specializing in mortgages (as opposed to a big box bank) to find out which program is best for you.
Oh, MUCH closer than Thrall! Per the USDA map, parts of Pflugerville, a chunk in Round Rock East over by Old Settlers, part of Georgetown immediately east of TeraVista, all of Hutto stretching a good ways west of 130, all of Taylor, a big part of Manor, and a lot of countryside (well, some of it is subdivisions now) all at the edges. Bee Cave, Lakeway, and area are eligible on the basis of location, but the pricing might be out of range because of income limits unless you happened on just the right deal.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:16 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Oh, MUCH closer than Thrall! Per the USDA map, parts of Pflugerville, a chunk in Round Rock East over by Old Settlers, part of Georgetown immediately east of TeraVista, all of Hutto stretching a good ways west of 130, all of Taylor, a big part of Manor, and a lot of countryside (well, some of it is subdivisions now) all at the edges. Bee Cave, Lakeway, and area are eligible on the basis of location, but the pricing might be out of range because of income limits unless you happened on just the right deal.
I find it interesting that that area by Old Settlers is eligible. While there are tracts of country, for the most part that area is building up at a rapid rate. It is completely surrounded by "ineligible" areas. I live off 79, and my area is both suburban (close to amenities) and country (huge tracts of woods/land, which is a good thing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin