Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 06:58 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

SanDiego - afraid I can't help you there. my community is over 30 years old and there are no new builds. there is a new build community called "Forest Grove" nearby that might be of interest to you that features "estate sized lots" (aka lots bigger than a postage stamp that don't look funny having a large house on them). David Weekley is the builder. KB also builds there, but their lots are smaller. The positive to them is that their lots back to the creek, but that may be a negative too depending on your critter and mosquito tolerance.

It is located in RRE.

I admittedly know little about Reagan's Overlook. But I think things are getting to be overpriced for what you get. I honestly question the resale value of these new homes. For example, paying $325 for a no amenity HOA is ridiculous to me. I've visited Abrantes recently..and I wasn't really impressed. The Cottages section IMHO looked more attractive. I saw lots of houses close together with hardly any mature trees. The gate is unnecessary...communities around here don't need gates.

Twin Creeks I think has some new homes, but I don't think they are a half acre either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 07:23 PM

416 posts, read 587,944 times
I think it's more of overselling a projected completion date to make a buyer happy, and not take "normal" delays - unforeseen issues/conflicts, weather, scheduling, etc - into account. I love Sean, our salesman (who I think is also at RO), but he is a salesman after all. His heart is in the right place, though, and isn't a slimy snake like some sales folks out there.

Some things we had problems with (not a complete list):
* Their in-house communications - for example, between sales, the design center, and the superintendent/project supervisor made some headaches for us in terms of design choices and other selections we'd made
* workmanship/quality, from framing to painting - but in this hot market, labor is hard to find, plus they don't want to pay squat, so... but items were still outstanding at the time we had our final walkthrough scheduled. We got several things resolved AFTER signing because our lease was up and we had to move in. It sucked having the parade in our house while trying to get unpacked.
* landscaping company... oh my god, don't get me started - EVERYONE here has had problems with that clown
* slow follow-through on issues we identified when we'd walk through the site on Sundays as construction progressed
* major attitude issues with project superintendent (that particular individual is now gone) - but I don't know if the new sup here at our development oversees RO, too.
* no real quality assurance in many ways - had to ride them the whole time

No matter who your builder is, but especially if you do go through Century, make sure you hire an independent inspector to cover your butt and support your complaints. We ID'd a bunch of issues but they didn't take it seriously until we had our inspector point the issues out as well, and in one instance we wanted a letter from Century's engineers because we wanted to be covered - the thing they had done was definitely not conventional or up to code (but because we're in an ETJ, builders are loosey-goosey with the building codes). We insisted on delaying six weeks to ensure all the things that had to be done were done. So... yeah. And we here on C-D/Austin can recommend some very good inspectors when you're ready.

And if you don't like what you're getting (whether it's Century or not, but especially Century in our experience), do not hesitate to go up the chain at their local office. That's how we got some major things resolved.

...sigh...

Old 06-04-2016, 08:14 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,353 times
We live in another part close to where this community is located and absolutely love it in Leander. We are close to everything in Leander, cedar park and the crazy developments along 183A and 1431, lakeline, round rock off of 35 and university (1431), and gerorgetown. Wouldn't pick another place in the Austin area to call home.

This community is literally 5 minutes up the road to either 1431/Parmer (roanald Regan) which has your very nice new Walmart, Heb and all the goods going up there OR 5-10 minutes taking 2243 or hero way to the huge (currently being remodeled as well) Leander HEB plus OR you can take crystal falls to bell road and go to the bell roa/1431 Walmart and Heb. And Georgetowns is not too far but further down 29. There is literally retail all over and going up everywhere. Your right by the highway and as a kicker you have the cedar park center which hosts concerts, the Texas stars (AHL-so much fun), the Austin Spurs (minor leauhe basketball), and other feats/events.

As far as the community is concerned, I can't help you but I do know that all the new developments that we've looked into along roanald reggan are extremely nice. We like the suttlle rolling hills. It's not far from retail and trust me it's not far away. A Walmart and Heb are being planned for 29 and roanald reggan as well.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:46 PM

138 posts, read 154,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
We live in another part close to where this community is located and absolutely love it in Leander. We are close to everything in Leander, cedar park and the crazy developments along 183A and 1431, lakeline, round rock off of 35 and university (1431), and gerorgetown. Wouldn't pick another place in the Austin area to call home.

This community is literally 5 minutes up the road to either 1431/Parmer (roanald Regan) which has your very nice new Walmart, Heb and all the goods going up there OR 5-10 minutes taking 2243 or hero way to the huge (currently being remodeled as well) Leander HEB plus OR you can take crystal falls to bell road and go to the bell roa/1431 Walmart and Heb. And Georgetowns is not too far but further down 29. There is literally retail all over and going up everywhere. Your right by the highway and as a kicker you have the cedar park center which hosts concerts, the Texas stars (AHL-so much fun), the Austin Spurs (minor leauhe basketball), and other feats/events.

As far as the community is concerned, I can't help you but I do know that all the new developments that we've looked into along roanald reggan are extremely nice. We like the suttlle rolling hills. It's not far from retail and trust me it's not far away. A Walmart and Heb are being planned for 29 and roanald reggan as well.
No. It's literally 15 minutes up the road. Google it Chicagoan

Old 06-04-2016, 09:52 PM

I live in the same area- it takes me 5 minutes. The speed limit is 65. You can google whatever you want but as I said before I LIVE in this area. It doesn't take 15 minutes to get to a store. There is no traffic on roanald regan or 2243/crystal falls. eitber way I find it funny how people moan about development yet complain that you'll have to drive 5/10/15 minutes up a single road to get groceries. My god. I wonder what people between marble falls and lago vista do.

Either way- I'm completely appalled if someone wouldn't buy in this area because it takes too long to get to the 1 of like 5 hebs or walmarts in a 10 mile span- not including a new Walmart and Heb that's planned for 29 and roanald regan which will be even closer..

Old 06-04-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I live in the same area- it takes me 5 minutes. The speed limit is 65. You can google whatever you want but as I said before I LIVE in this area. It doesn't take 15 minutes to get to a store. There is no traffic on roanald regan or 2243/crystal falls. eitber way I find it funny how people moan about development yet complain that you'll have to drive 5/10/15 minutes up a single road to get groceries. My god. I wonder what people between marble falls and lago vista do.

Either way- I'm completely appalled if someone wouldn't buy in this area because it takes too long to get to the 1 of like 5 hebs or walmarts in a 10 mile span- not including a new Walmart and Heb that's planned for 29 and roanald regan which will be even closer..
I've worked on a number of homes in that community. I will bet you $1,000,000 you cannot make it from the model home to HEB in 5 minutes.

The people between MF and LV are living out there to get away from people like you all excited about strip mall big box development.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:28 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego_Austin View Post
Thanks everyone for valuable inputs.

@10scoachrick, HOA is about $325/yr. There are no community amenities.

@wtgcam1010, half acre lots are ideal for us, but we could not find any half acre community close by since we are looking for only new build homes. We did check on Abrantes. They do not have any half acre sites in current phase, but they do have about 4 or 5 in the next phase, which might start in 6 months time. But they already have about 20 buyers (by paying small nominal advance) lined up to chose those sites.

@riaelise, Please point me to any half acre community that you know of that are still building homes.

Since I am very particular about layout and having single story home only, we are not looking at existing homes (we may be wrong, but it is our preference).
We are more into hiking and camping than spending time in city.

Brohn homes and drees are sold out in this community.
Highland homes are even costlier than century, but i guess we will get what we pay for.
We also feel this community is little over priced, but seeing all the development happening around, doesn't look like prices are going to cool off any time soon.
You'll find that Woodland Park up next to Sun City offers 1/2 to 1 acre lots, also Gabriel's Grove which is a bit further west on Williams Drive (2338) closer to Ronald Reagan. But that's quite a bit further out.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:52 AM

Kion-

I could give a rats a$$ what you or anyone else does- or lives. Good for you and all the people who like to drive 50 minutes one way for groceries. I could care less. I'm not the person whose sitting here saying driving 5-15 minutes to get to a store is a big deal- I was be one saying it's not far from retail ya moron. I'm so sick of people on this forum thinking they are so inclined to talk to people like crap. You like to live out in the boonies? Good for you. You wanna live in downtown Austin? Good for you. I'm aloud to live whereevee I want and "want" or not "want" retail. You don't like it move your judgemental a$$ out to granger.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Kion-

I could give a rats a$$ what you or anyone else does- or lives. Good for you and all the people who like to drive 50 minutes one way for groceries. I could care less. I'm not the person whose sitting here saying driving 5-15 minutes to get to a store is a big deal- I was be one saying it's not far from retail ya moron. I'm so sick of people on this forum thinking they are so inclined to talk to people like crap. You like to live out in the boonies? Good for you. You wanna live in downtown Austin? Good for you. I'm aloud to live whereevee I want and "want" or not "want" retail. You don't like it move your judgemental a$$ out to granger.
Nah. I'd prefer to just sit here on my quiet deck trolling the crap out of hotheaded transplants.

The problem comes in when people give inaccurate information out to promote something. Guess what happens next? That 15 minute 7 mile drive begins to creep to 20, then 30 when there's 10 times as many are out there.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:19 PM

Seems about accurate. I guess you're one of those people doing 45 in a 65 on roanald regan which is where the difference in time is being debated. Regardless if someone doesn't wanna live there because it's too far from retail then that may be one of the silliest things I've heard on this forum, and dear god there is an endless list of those .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin