Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 07:31 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
Mr gagget, the thing that is most disturbing is you are anti H1Bs, but your English skills are about middle school level for Americans. Not an adult with an IT job.

Would you explain why you can barely write English, but complain about foreign workers?
It's about time someone said something kind to the OP. It's so kind of you to rank his grammar at "middle school level". Very generous indeed. Kudos for your giant heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
if you are excellent at what you do (top 10-20%) you never have to worry. The top 10% from india are also expensive

H1B employers are supposed to advertise the position and show that they couldnt hire an american for the job. They have to show the wage they are offering is industry standard.

Of course companies cheat, but in the end the foreign workers with experience who are good will be the same cost as americans.

To some extent this is true at the state. Companies like accenture populate state contracts with indians. So much so that the lobby of the state tech buildings smell like curry.

Same with some of the dell buildings and plaza 7000
This sums it up. And we do have a shortage of STEM graduates. My daughter is a CS Major, and is basically guaranteed a job coming out of college. Graduates like her are heavily recruited and the jobs are being created faster than the supply of those to fill them. So employers look for skilled workers elsewhere.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:40 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
The thing is, you've chosen to engage in a forum of the written word. It's the entire point of the venue. So yes, it's noticeable and distracting.

It would be like me showing up for a pickup basketball game down at my park, and having my feelings hurt when it's pointed out that I have "no game". Then me hurling insults and saying "can you stop focusing on how bad I am? Let's just play?!" Then shooting another airball and blaming someone else that it missed.

When you step onto any field in life, or into any arena, respect the field onto which you step or the arena into which you enter. You're doing the opposite.

But I think you know that and are just toying around with us, aren't you?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-07-2016 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 06-06-2016, 08:20 AM

90 posts, read 101,344 times
Again, didn't realized we had the Grammar police Dept on these forums. Some just can not get pass anybody mistakes in life or on the forum.. Let me clear the air sorta speak. Been with one company for 10 years solid as a Project Manager for a very well establish company. I was the sole PM for 200 techs in the field at any given moment. So i know a thing or two on how to communicate with people, write grants, write contracts, ect.. ect.. So no need to school me on how my typing skills are. After the company decided to shut down, than i was out of a job for nearly a year while searching. Thats when desperate times caused for desperate measures. But that is my life, i live and learned, moved on. I guess it is hard for others to look past the person history or disability and have a decent conversation. Their are others on here that are able to get past that point and reply with a great discussion response. If you have a hard time doing that, than just don't reply. Let the big grown ups have a debate, as this is what we do online. We talk about the topic on hand. This case, was about overseas workers coming in and taking over jobs that "not providing skill workers". IMO I call BS, as others said. Its all about who can do the job cheaper with the right skill set. Doing so, pushes the local american worker to look elsewhere or take the job cheaper than it is worth doing. So back to the question, do you think it is wise for the government to allow more than they do now or just kill the project all together?

Old 06-06-2016, 09:05 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
So all those armies of Indians must indicate that the local talent isn't good enough, right? Or at least not in the top 10-20%. What are we doing wrong that home-grown IT workers are so inadequate that we have to bring in foreign replacements?
It is an interesting question. What is the true price of labor? The labor does exist, but not at the price they want to pay. there is constant tension between not having enough labor and labor prices skyrocketing and having too much labor so people are getting laid off.

I dont actually know the answer, but I do know most software developers are barely competent to begin with.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
It is an interesting question. What is the true price of labor? The labor does exist, but not at the price they want to pay. there is constant tension between not having enough labor and labor prices skyrocketing and having too much labor so people are getting laid off.

I dont actually know the answer, but I do know most software developers are barely competent to begin with.
right you can over price your self, and scare that your not price enough is the concern. People think they are worth more than the job and then you get those that underpaid.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 3,735 times
You should read Thomas Friedman's book "The World is Flat." It would give perspective on the forces at work here. Ending the HB1 visa program would do nothing to increase the wages of American workers.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:48 AM

138 posts, read 154,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagget1234 View Post
Again, didn't realized we had the Grammar police Dept on these forums. Some just can not get pass anybody mistakes in life or on the forum.. Let me clear the air sorta speak. Been with one company for 10 years solid as a Project Manager for a very well establish company. I was the sole PM for 200 techs in the field at any given moment. So i know a thing or two on how to communicate with people, write grants, write contracts, ect.. ect.. So no need to school me on how my typing skills are. After the company decided to shut down, than i was out of a job for nearly a year while searching. Thats when desperate times caused for desperate measures. But that is my life, i live and learned, moved on. I guess it is hard for others to look past the person history or disability and have a decent conversation. Their are others on here that are able to get past that point and reply with a great discussion response. If you have a hard time doing that, than just don't reply. Let the big grown ups have a debate, as this is what we do online. We talk about the topic on hand. This case, was about overseas workers coming in and taking over jobs that "not providing skill workers". IMO I call BS, as others said. Its all about who can do the job cheaper with the right skill set. Doing so, pushes the local american worker to look elsewhere or take the job cheaper than it is worth doing. So back to the question, do you think it is wise for the government to allow more than they do now or just kill the project all together?
There's literally dozens of threads on this in the W&E forum. Head on over and debate to your heart's content.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwerx View Post
You should read Thomas Friedman's book "The World is Flat." It would give perspective on the forces at work here. Ending the HB1 visa program would do nothing to increase the wages of American workers.
But would it end or help end the unemployment or under skill worker from being hired?

Old 06-06-2016, 09:54 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagget1234 View Post
A job is only "worth" the salary a qualified candidate accepts. It's simple supply and demand.

No one believes your tall tales. You're all over the place with your background and history, and that has nothing to do with your poor communication skills.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
A job is only "worth" the salary a qualified candidate accepts. It's simple supply and demand.

No one believes your tall tales. You're all over the place with your background and history, and that has nothing to do with your poor communication skills.
Here is a thought, WHy dont you and kion go hijack another thread and let the big boys talk.. how about that. no need to explain myself nor to hear your thoughts.. we have others here trying to have a discussion and your like a 4 year old butting in and being rude.. so here is your toy truck back and go over their play..adults trying to have a conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin