Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 07:33 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times

Advertisements

It's not California. It's Texas.

Where Are All Of These People Moving To Austin ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 07:45 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Yep, this is a well known fact. A lot of UT graduates stay after graduation. Plain and simple.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:08 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yep, this is a well known fact. A lot of UT graduates stay after graduation. Plain and simple.
Yup, and two of those nine in Texas (Williamson County and Bastrop) are actually parts of the Austin metro area (with two more, Hays and Bell Counties pretty darned close as well.) So if you move to Austin from Round Rock, you're a transplant.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:41 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Yup, and two of those nine in Texas (Williamson County and Bastrop) are actually parts of the Austin metro area (with two more, Hays and Bell Counties pretty darned close as well.) So if you move to Austin from Round Rock, you're a transplant.
Hays County is a part of Metro Austin and borders Travis county. There is even a small part of Austin that extends into Hays County. Buda is only 15 miles from downtown Austin and Kyle is 20. Buda is closer than Pflugerville to downtown and Kyle is as close as Round Rock. Even San Marcos is the same distance from downtown as Leander is.

It surprises me how a lot of people don't realize how close the southern suburbs are to downtown.

To get back on topic, I moved to Austin from Nueces County last July and just moved to Hays county from Austin this month.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:59 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Hays County is a part of Metro Austin and borders Travis county. There is even a small part of Austin that extends into Hays County. Buda is only 15 miles from downtown Austin and Kyle is 20. Buda is closer than Pflugerville to downtown and Kyle is as close as Round Rock. Even San Marcos is the same distance from downtown as Leander is.

It surprises me how a lot of people don't realize how close the southern suburbs are to downtown.

To get back on topic, I moved to Austin from Nueces County last July and just moved to Hays county from Austin this month.
Oh, I realize that. I just think a lot of people in Austin don't always consider those "commutable" areas, particularly when we're talking about the further southern cities like San Marcos. It's a curiously different story when it comes to the northern areas though isn't it?

Old 06-12-2016, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Oh, I realize that. I just think a lot of people in Austin don't always consider those "commutable" areas, particularly when we're talking about the further southern cities like San Marcos. It's a curiously different story when it comes to the northern areas though isn't it?
Likely because the southern burbs are generally more rural in feel vs. the northern ones. My wife and I are renting in far South Austin near Manchaca right now and we are closing on our house in Buda on 8/1. My new place is 6 minutes from my old place and I couldn't buy the house I'm getting in Austin unless I extended my price range another 75k.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:37 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It's always been like that.

Perhaps in the early 1980s more came from outside Texas to Texas (I'd have to research). There was mass influx from the rust belt, displaced workers looking for oil and construction jobs as Texas was booming in both sectors. Then we had a big bust. I think Houston had a massive "tent city". Michigan license plates were all over the coastal bend cities.

Steve

Old 06-15-2016, 09:13 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Well, we moved from NE Austin up to Brushy Creek on the west side of Round Rock in 1995. Guess that makes us "refugees".

Oddly enough, although we are in an unincorporated area, we still have an Austin mailing address (which I don't like). Plus, the City of Austin annexed the Avery Ranch neighborhood north of us - deeper into Williamson Country!

Old 06-15-2016, 11:34 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
The difference between the Californians moving to Austin and the Texans moving to Austin is that the Texans are much less likely to overpay for crappy houses, thus driving the prices up for everyone else, then complain constantly about how everything isn't like it was back home.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:19 PM

79 posts, read 80,669 times
I came to Austin from Houston 12 years ago. Does that make me an outsider? My first house purchase here (Austin) was 28% higher than my comparable house/neighborhood in Houston.

Californians, as well as a small minority of North-easterners, do indeed drive up the prices. What Texans would pay for a house is chicken feed to many of these folks. Not blaming them, just saying what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin