Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:26 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,345 times

Advertisements

Dude... Austin and Texas don't get to pick what climate/weather they'd like. No where does. The is where we are located on earth. It's the way it is. No area gets to "pick" it's weather..god I could only imagine the amount of fighting that would cause among residents..

If the climate bothers you as much as it seems and its that important to your happiness/well being then you should look into an area that has the type of climate your looking for.. Nothing will change here because you think it should (it's not something that's controllable).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 09:09 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
I like Florida's climate, and that greatness needs to be spread over to greater chunks of Texas than present currently in the state.
I personally prefer TX weather over FL weather. It's just too darn humid in Florida. I used to have to go to Orlando on business. One time the humidity was so high that the car was filled with moisture when I opened up the door. It had condensed *inside* the car. Yuck!

Old 08-13-2016, 09:27 PM

470 posts, read 454,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Fail. If we wanted Florida weather, we'd move to Florida.

See how easy that is?

'Murica. Gotta love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Dude... Austin and Texas don't get to pick what climate/weather they'd like. No where does. The is where we are located on earth. It's the way it is. No area gets to "pick" it's weather..god I could only imagine the amount of fighting that would cause among residents..

If the climate bothers you as much as it seems and its that important to your happiness/well being then you should look into an area that has the type of climate your looking for.. Nothing will change here because you think it should (it's not something that's controllable).
Fair enough. Do keep in mind that I am satisfied with the portion of Texas I live in (east of 96); I only hope for the rest of the state to reverse their summer climate fail status. And the thing is that there is strong chance for such reversal to happen, depending on where the subtropical ridge sets up (either the normal position at Four Corners, or a position closer to Texas/South Plains). This day was good for Texas in regards to rain; this has to happen for as long as it can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I personally prefer TX weather over FL weather. It's just too darn humid in Florida. I used to have to go to Orlando on business. One time the humidity was so high that the car was filled with moisture when I opened up the door. It had condensed *inside* the car. Yuck!
Humidity is water, and water is life.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Fair enough. Do keep in mind that I am satisfied with the portion of Texas I live in (east of 96); I only hope for the rest of the state to reverse their summer climate fail status. And the thing is that there is strong chance for such reversal to happen, depending on where the subtropical ridge sets up (either the normal position at Four Corners, or a position closer to Texas/South Plains). This day was good for Texas in regards to rain; this has to happen for as long as it can.
I'm pretty sure nobody asked you to do that and no one really appreciates your efforts.

Quote:
It has it's place. And I prefer it to stay out of other places - for instance, my nose, my lungs, my dryer, my car, my floors, etc.

I have lived in South Carolina before, and in New Orleans. Now THAT'S humidity. Coupled with heat. No freaking thank you.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:

People have survived in desert climates (Egypt) for thousands of years as long as there is a river or ground source for water. Civilization in tropical climates used to not be possible until the eradication of mosquitoes and air conditioning made living there possible. In desert climates with low humidity you can use evaporative cooling techniques. I've been in some palaces in the Middle East and it is like 20-30 degrees cooler inside them than outside.

When the French tried to dig the Panama Canal, they failed because of the rainy tropical environment. Hundreds of people died of malaria and other diseases. The Americans finally conquered it because they sprayed oil on every single place of standing water and then used large machinery to bulldoze the landscape.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:00 AM

535 posts, read 1,295,756 times
Quote:
Amen to that. I'm originally from the deep south of Alabama and when I hear people say it's humid in Austin I have to laugh. At least in Austin you can stand under a tree and get cool and there's usually a breeze and it cools down at night. In Alabama and Florida you feel like you have a warm, wet blanket covering you when you're outdoors. I don't mind it being hot, but I hate humidity.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
Amen to that. I'm originally from the deep south of Alabama and when I hear people say it's humid in Austin I have to laugh. At least in Austin you can stand under a tree and get cool and there's usually a breeze and it cools down at night. In Alabama and Florida you feel like you have a warm, wet blanket covering you when you're outdoors. I don't mind it being hot, but I hate humidity.
I went to a nightclub last night and even though it was only 77 degrees (waiting in line outside), because of the rain it was super humid and this chick behind me waiting in line was complaining that it was so hot. The thing is, if it was 93 degrees but dry she probably would have felt the same level of uncomfortableness. I wasn't even busting out a sweat, even though I was in pants and she was in a very skimpy outfit.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:52 AM

214 posts, read 214,533 times
It was hot as balls last night. Definitely had the swamp ass going on.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm pretty sure nobody asked you to do that and no one really appreciates your efforts.

It has it's place. And I prefer it to stay out of other places - for instance, my nose, my lungs, my dryer, my car, my floors, etc.

I have lived in South Carolina before, and in New Orleans. Now THAT'S humidity. Coupled with heat. No freaking thank you.
Whatever.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
People have survived in desert climates (Egypt) for thousands of years as long as there is a river or ground source for water. Civilization in tropical climates used to not be possible until the eradication of mosquitoes and air conditioning made living there possible. In desert climates with low humidity you can use evaporative cooling techniques. I've been in some palaces in the Middle East and it is like 20-30 degrees cooler inside them than outside.
Must have not heard of the Aztecs, Incas, Mayans, Olmecs, etc haven't you?

Quote:
When the French tried to dig the Panama Canal, they failed because of the rainy tropical environment. Hundreds of people died of malaria and other diseases. The Americans finally conquered it because they sprayed oil on every single place of standing water and then used large machinery to bulldoze the landscape.
Yes, the Europeans weren't equipped to deal with such conditions. Africans, Asians, and Native/Latin Americans were more adapted to the humid tropics and, thus, could build strong civilizations where the Europeans faltered. America, in combining European technological prowess, with the living skills of Africans/ Asians, and Latin Americans/Native Americans, were able to form the ultimate empire that allowed them to be the super power they are today, conquering the unconquerable.

Med climates are desirable, right? So why aren't we seeing evidence of uneven distribution over wealth/power of Native American tribes, wherein the strongest, longest lasting empires were on the West Coast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin