Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 07:16 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times

Advertisements

He was the 4th person in November and the 9th person this year to be killed by a vehicle trying to walk across Interstate 35 in Austin. That's been a problem in Austin for a long time and it seems like its happening more and more as time goes on. Hardly a month goes by where somebody isn't killed trying to cross 35 by foot. Does that happen in all cities, or is that something that is unique to Austin. I don't think I've ever heard of it happening anywhere else.

I don't know why anybody would think it's remotely safe to try and walk across 35. I see it as a very selfish act. Just think of the psychological damage that could do to the unfortunate person who just happens to be cruising down 35, minding is own business, and somebody just out of the blue steps in front of his vehicle and his killed instantly. That would be something that driver would have to deal with for the rest of his life. Or another scenario, to avoid hitting the person the driver swerves into another lane and gets hit by another vehicle and causes a spin out cars and trucks going every which way and cause a big pile up accident on the interstate with lots of injuries and deaths. All because somebody was too lazy to walk down to the nearest overpass and cross over the interstate.

Does anybody ever make it across 35? I never hear of it if they do. If any of these people who attempt to walk cross 35 and make it across safely, and the cops happen to see them, I hope they arrest them and the judge throws the book at them to the fullest extent of the law. Really make an example of them, because walking across 35 endangers many lives, not just the jaywalker.

I have no idea what could be done to stop people from jaywalking 35, but something needs to be done. That's as bad as the guy was throwing rocks at the cars on the interstate a while back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 07:29 PM

172 posts, read 177,571 times
If 9 have been struck this year, I'm guessing a lot more have made it across safely. There's no reason we would ever hear of the ones who made it.

Four things come to mind when I hear of this happening:

1. They are lazy and can't walk down to a light to cross.
2. They are crazy and don't know what they are doing.
3. They are suicidal.
4. They are just stupid.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:31 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Once, just north of 51st, in the Capital Plaza area, I saw someone climbing over the center divide of I35, I was in the left lane, going at least 60 miles an hour. It was daylight. It was terrifying. My heart nearly stopped just at the sight of the person. My husband has seen another person crossing in the same area. It is the area where there have been several pedestrian deaths.

I think drugs/alcohol are often involved. People are clearly not using good judgement, I honestly think about half the time, addicts are trying to make it across 35 to the McDonalds at Capital Plaza!!!

The pedestrian who was killed today at Oltorf was described as "possibly intoxicated" by a friend. The cops don't believe that this was a homeless person. Most of the homeless are very savvy about the highway and know where the overpasses with sidewalks are.

I just looked it up, according to U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration roughly 10% of all pedestrian fatalities in the US happen on interstate highways! This number has been consistent since 1995 and was still true in 2013, the last year for which there are consolidated figures.

I don't know what the answer is. I find 35 to be terrifying to walk across from an overpass, just the noise alone gets me. I can't ever imagine thinking that crossing the highway directly would be easier or a better option. I know APD is frustrated and looking for answers.

Last edited by centralaustinite; 11-29-2016 at 07:39 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 07:37 PM

172 posts, read 177,571 times
Can we add a chain link or wrought iron fence on top of the concrete barrier in the middle? That would make it a pointless venture to try and cross.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:39 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
We could ship the homeless to Georgetown, Cedar Park, or Bee Caves. (Like they do to us).

Old 11-29-2016, 10:01 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
We could ship the homeless to Georgetown, Cedar Park, or Bee Caves. (Like they do to us).
Except that APD very clearly said today that most of the nine recent deaths were NOT homeless

Old 11-29-2016, 10:44 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,146 times
Lately, we've been seeing pedestrians trying to cross Mopac over here on the west side. I've lived near Mopac for 40 years, and only recently have been seeing this happen.

Today, I almost hit a guy running across Braker near 183.

This city is crazy.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:50 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Except that APD very clearly said today that most of the nine recent deaths were NOT homeless
Surrrrre....

Old 11-30-2016, 06:51 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
I would think it would be an easy way to commit suicide and possibly more palatable than jumping from a bridge?

Old 11-30-2016, 07:19 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
At least one (the only one I read anything about) had had a car breakdown and was trying to get to a convenience store or something on the other side. They might have even been stuck in the middle. Bad luck, there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin