Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best town
Round Rock 3 14.29%
Cedar Park 9 42.86%
Leander 3 14.29%
Austin 8 38.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:58 AM

18 posts, read 14,578 times

Advertisements

Hello -
My family will be relocating from Syracuse to Austin TX at the end of June.
My husband will be working in the Cedar Park area.
There are many locations that we have been looking at online, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Leander.

My questions are:
which one is the best to raise a family, 8 and 4 year old, I need great school. Not just elementary- but middle and HS as well.
Is there an area to avoid? - known for drugs and crime
Any recommendations on Pre-School? Looking at Primrose school?

Is there such a neighborhood where I can get kids playing and running all around-grocery stores nearby, schools close enough to get to in case of an emergency?

I also see that you guys have toll road. We have a toll road it's our thru way we jump on it for distance travel is that the same for you guys? or is this a road that we will take on our daily travels?

Please give me all the information that you have, we get 7 days to look at houses but if I can narrow locations down then it will be helpful!

Thank you to everyone in advance

Last edited by SUorange; 01-31-2017 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: forgot a detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 08:13 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Where will you be working? What's your budget?

Old 01-31-2017, 08:17 AM

My husband will be working in Cedar Park, - House budget $250,000

Old 01-31-2017, 08:28 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Eh, live in Cedar Park then. Pretty much cross Austin proper off the list due to price. RR and Leander could work, but CP and Leander are same school district and all have good schools. Depending on what you mean by 'great', you may have difficulty getting into a 'great' school attendance zone in that price range. If really, really good is 'okay', then no problem. If you want the 'best' in the area, then no.

Primrose, btw, is a very well regarded daycare/preschool.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:39 AM

122 posts, read 95,269 times
Hello there! Can't really help you out with the housing stuff but I did grow up in VT, went to college at RIT, and spent 2 quarters as an intern at Carrier. All I can say is I hope you are ready for the heat!

Old 01-31-2017, 08:43 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUorange View Post
My husband will be working in Cedar Park, - House budget $250,000
250k? Cedar Park? I live in Cedar park and bought our house as a foreclosure for 172k with HUD paying our closing costs.

Fast forward two years later. Someone with our same house sold down the street for 240k a couple months ago. It will be become very competitive and HARD to find a house at that price soon. I wish you the best of luck. We were sometimes going against 20 people with bids . I would buy before summer hits.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:03 AM

What exactly is Austin proper?
And if Cedar Park and Leander the same district is it a big district?
A really really good school is good for me.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUorange View Post
What exactly is Austin proper?
And if Cedar Park and Leander the same district is it a big district?
A really really good school is good for me.
By Austin proper, I believe they mean within the municipal boundaries of the city of Austin. Which isn't strictly true for your budget, but given your other wants/needs, probably so.

School districts in Texas are independent from the city and other government boundaries, so they usually/never align with cities directly (for instance, parts of the city of Austin are in 3-4 or more school disricts, only one of which is "Austin" ISD).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...649999999&z=10

Old 01-31-2017, 09:30 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,880 times
Go orange.

Cedar park and Leander are different cities, but they are both under the Leander school district. School districts don't follow city lines. Austin/Cedar Park/Leander along 183 is analogous to Syracuse/North Syracuse/Cicero along 81, except on a much larger population scale (and much prettier than 81 is, honestly). So LISD (Leander ISD) covers most of both areas much like Cicero-North Syracuse does.

Part of the city of Austin is in the Round Rock school district, and part of it is in Pflugerville school district. Always check your school boundaries when house shopping.

When people say "Austin proper" they mean within the city of Austin. Round Rock, Cedar Park, and Leander are separate cities from Austin. You can't tell by driving from one city to the next.

Housing is more expensive here than in Syracuse, and there are more HOAs. Be prepared for that. I would recommend sticking to looking in Cedar Park and Leander only.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:35 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,880 times
PS There are no basements here, and the garages are small. Adjust your square footage needs accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin