Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:46 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times

Advertisements

For those of you affected by traffic in this area and want to see this improvement, please contact your representatives to get this road built. The City of Austin has said they will not build it, so Leander ISD is taking on the project themselves. But we need approval from US Fish and Wildlife.

Thanks.

LISD urgently seeks community support for second access road to VHS - Four Points News

https://www.facebook.com/4pointstraffic/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 09:06 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,982,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
For those of you affected by traffic in this area and want to see this improvement, please contact your representatives to get this road built. The City of Austin has said they will not build it, so Leander ISD is taking on the project themselves. But we need approval from US Fish and Wildlife.

Thanks.

LISD urgently seeks community support for second access road to VHS - Four Points News

https://www.facebook.com/4pointstraffic/
Don't Build the Road!

LISD knew, before they even built the school, that it was surrounded by a literal nature preserve. Now they want to build a highway through it, which would be extremely disruptive to the endangered species, and would cut off and orphan the tract west of the school.
So no, they're not only "asking about 40 feet". They're asking for nearly a quarter square mile of the preserve.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Don't Build the Road!

LISD knew, before they even built the school, that it was surrounded by a literal nature preserve. Now they want to build a highway through it, which would be extremely disruptive to the endangered species, and would cut off and orphan the tract west of the school.
So no, they're not only "asking about 40 feet". They're asking for nearly a quarter square mile of the preserve.
Wasn't really looking for a debate. But the school district is not solely responsible for the traffic mess there. The new housing developments, apartments, condos, and office complexes (and more slated to be built) - all on the same road being discussed - were built AFTER the schools, with no plans by the City to improve the infrastructure around them.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Wasn't really looking for a debate.
Then why the hell did you post in a discussion forum?

Quote:
But the school district is not solely responsible for the traffic mess there. The new housing developments, apartments, condos, and office complexes (and more slated to be built) - all on the same road being discussed - were built AFTER the schools, with no plans by the City to improve the infrastructure around them.
What same road? McNeil Dr/Ribelin Ranch?

There's like what, 30 houses there. I'm sure they cause just as much traffic as 4000 students/teachers.

And I don't see how more are slated to be built, since again, it's completely surrounded by the preserve.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Then why the hell did you post in a discussion forum?

What same road? McNeil Dr/Ribelin Ranch?

There's like what, 30 houses there. I'm sure they cause just as much traffic as 4000 students/teachers.

And I don't see how more are slated to be built, since again, it's completely surrounded by the preserve.
I posted the information so that people could voice their support to their representatives if they so choose.

And apparently you haven't been out here for a while. If you think it's just 30 houses, you are so off base. The new apartment complex alone has 344 units (that's 344 separate homes). The condos across the street are at least that big, the new housing development has over 100 homes, etc. Not to mention the several 50,000+ square foot office buildings being built. And there are more planned.

School traffic explains the mess during the morning commute, but it is just as bad at 6:00 in the evening. That evening traffic is not from the schools.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:55 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times
I can see both sides of the debate. I understand that the preserve is a habitat for some species and I appreciate that.

However, during the fire I realized that a place like Vandegrift could virtually get "cut off" from the rest of the city. The parking lots would probably serve as fire breaks where the firetrucks could fight the fire but it would prevent any evacuation and there would have to be a "stay in place" order.

I agree that they shouldn't have built Vandegrift where it is, but they did, and we cannot be responsible for any lives lost in the next fire, which we know will come in the next drought.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I can see both sides of the debate. I understand that the preserve is a habitat for some species and I appreciate that.

However, during the fire I realized that a place like Vandegrift could virtually get "cut off" from the rest of the city. The parking lots would probably serve as fire breaks where the firetrucks could fight the fire but it would prevent any evacuation and there would have to be a "stay in place" order.

I agree that they shouldn't have built Vandegrift where it is, but they did, and we cannot be responsible for any lives lost in the next fire, which we know will come in the next drought.
I think the chances of that happening are fairly slim. However, I really don't think this relatively small stretch of road (which is really just an extension of an existing road) will noticeably disturb the wildlife. At least not more than the 100+ housing development being built as we speak that is literally just feet from the proposed road. How clearing all the trees 20 feet away doesn't disturb the wildlife but a small road does is beyond me.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:19 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,134,243 times
Quote:
I think the chances of that happening are fairly slim. However, I really don't think this relatively small stretch of road (which is really just an extension of an existing road) will noticeably disturb the wildlife. At least not more than the 100+ housing development being built as we speak that is literally just feet from the proposed road. How clearing all the trees 20 feet away doesn't disturb the wildlife but a small road does is beyond me.
one area is a preserve the other isnt. Obviously the houses do disturb the wildlife, which is why the preserve exists, so nature isnt disturbed there. Building a road through the preserve violates the intent of the preserve, which is to provide a sanctuary to offset all the houses.

People build houses and destroy habitat
Preserve is created to protect some small amount of nature
People build more houses and a school.
People now complain that their houses and school have a risk of fire, there is too much traffic because of all the houses and the school.
People want to encroach on preserve, using as justification, the fact that they built all the houses and school.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:35 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,395 times
Thanks for posting! I just contacted my reps to voice my opposition.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I posted the information so that people could voice their support to their representatives if they so choose.

And apparently you haven't been out here for a while. If you think it's just 30 houses, you are so off base. The new apartment complex alone has 344 units (that's 344 separate homes). The condos across the street are at least that big, the new housing development has over 100 homes, etc. Not to mention the several 50,000+ square foot office buildings being built. And there are more planned.

School traffic explains the mess during the morning commute, but it is just as bad at 6:00 in the evening. That evening traffic is not from the schools.
What condos and office buildings?

On McNeil Dr/Ribelin Ranch?

or are you trying to talk about stuff on River Place?

Because the later _already connects to 620 and 2222_
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin