Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:58 AM

20 posts, read 23,547 times

Advertisements

[Posting here also from Texas forum]

My husband and I are seriously considering a move to TX from California in the next year or two. We're both California natives. We have 4 young kids and his company is based in the Round Rock area. We know about the weather and the cost of living, the property taxes, etc. Our families are all here in CA and we're in our 40s so this would be a major move for us.

If you are a native Californian and transplanted your family to Texas, please share your experience. Has it been worth it overall? Pros and cons? Any recommendations or advice? Any area you specifically like or don't like?

Our reasons to move: lower cost of living (we will be able to pay cash for our home and never have another mortgage), slower pace, better quality of life (friendlier people?), more land and space on our property for us and kids to enjoy.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 11:32 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,790,143 times
My Response in the Texas Forum:
Quote:
- Where in the "Round Rock area" is husband's work? (it's a very large area - east to west).
- Where in California do you live?
- How old are the kids?
- What's their school situation now?
- What are you looking for in schools?
- How expensive a home are you "paying cash" for?

Sounds like your situation is better than 90% of the people who post. (You've got a job lined up and can pay cash for a home.) North & NW Greater Austin/RR is a great place to live and raise a family. Good to great schools and lots of activities.

As you know traffic sux, but is much better in Wilco than Austin. Property taxes will run 2.6-3% of the value of home (per year)....but much of that pays for the schools (so if you have 4 kids, you'll get your money's worth). Good luck.
& the OP's answers to my response:
Quote:
- SF Bay Area, Tri Valley specifically
- 9, 7, 5, 3
- public school (our nearby elementary school is highly rated but will have 1100 students this year)
- Quality schools, well rounded, not overly academic (that sounds weird but if you're from our area you get it)
- We will probably pay $500-600k in cash for a home
Sounds like they have lots of options.

Where's the work OP ? (provide nearby major cross streets) It makes a difference on where posters would recommend to you first. No sense living 45 min. from work if you can live 8 min. from work.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:08 PM

745 posts, read 1,286,794 times
This is a pretty good thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...had-known.html

We almost moved to TX from CA and even visited.

With your cash you should do great and get a slice of California on Texas toast.

When I visited, what I didn't like from a SoCal native perspective was the weather (heat + dangerous storms). The traffic around Austin was hectic in a growing pains way we don't get in California. Felt more dangerous to drive there. I really disliked the sprawl in the flat areas, but once we got into Hill Country I felt steady on my feet again.

People were friendlier and more down to earth in general. You definitely feel you are somewhere historically and culturally distinct despite all the sprawl. There was a distinct Texas vibe that made it feel more special than any California vibe (or I should say, the vibe was more widespread). Food is to die for.

I have heard the "good" TX schools can be academic cattle farms where kids have no life, but I don't know how that would compare to your area.

Two years ago we moved to MT and ended up staying and sort of set the hook there. In hindsight a move to TX would have been better for my family socially and economically. Still, I think years living rat race in CA combined with two years in MT broke our tolerance for sprawl, traffic and more frantic pace of life.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:49 PM

Thanks for posting Mr. Wumpus, I had forgotten about these two excellent threads. Extra info for the newbie considering Austin.

Laws or oddities that are particular to TX/Austin that a new resident should know???

Holy crap! Two years after moving to Austin from NYC - My thoughts on our city!

Old 07-27-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
My Response in the Texas Forum:
& the OP's answers to my response:
Sounds like they have lots of options.

Where's the work OP ? (provide nearby major cross streets) It makes a difference on where posters would recommend to you first. No sense living 45 min. from work if you can live 8 min. from work.
Work is in Round Rock and/or Austin, I believe. (he stays at the Domaine a lot and I think that is near the office). That being said, he is home based so wouldn't be going into the office daily. ALSO - we're really interested in areas north like Georgetown, etc. We live in massive suburban sprawl now with increasing traffic, crime and crowded schools (never mind the crazy prices) and have no interest in replicating this environment for me or our family in TX. So really hoping to find a smallish town with friendly people where we can buy a house on a couple acres. I want Texas culture and history in our neighborhood/town, not a bunch of other California transplants. So that is the hope anyway!

Old 07-27-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
This is a pretty good thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...had-known.html

We almost moved to TX from CA and even visited.

With your cash you should do great and get a slice of California on Texas toast.

When I visited, what I didn't like from a SoCal native perspective was the weather (heat + dangerous storms). The traffic around Austin was hectic in a growing pains way we don't get in California. Felt more dangerous to drive there. I really disliked the sprawl in the flat areas, but once we got into Hill Country I felt steady on my feet again.

People were friendlier and more down to earth in general. You definitely feel you are somewhere historically and culturally distinct despite all the sprawl. There was a distinct Texas vibe that made it feel more special than any California vibe (or I should say, the vibe was more widespread). Food is to die for.

I have heard the "good" TX schools can be academic cattle farms where kids have no life, but I don't know how that would compare to your area.

Two years ago we moved to MT and ended up staying and sort of set the hook there. In hindsight a move to TX would have been better for my family socially and economically. Still, I think years living rat race in CA combined with two years in MT broke our tolerance for sprawl, traffic and more frantic pace of life.
Thanks! This is helpful and the threads were good too. I hear you on the rat race. I am SO over it. Grew up in So Cal, moved up to Bay Area after college so I'm just done.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:14 PM

895 posts, read 1,242,056 times
Areas To look into-

Jarrell- just had family build a new home here- soooooo much value for your money. It's quite rural but literally 10 minutes down 35 from Georgetown which has everything. Issue here is schools. Not sure why they aren't ranked good but they're not.

Leander-moved here from Chicago and love it- plenty of different parts.. fairly rural around Ronald Regan/ more suburbiaish near crystal falls, and beautiful views on the edge over in travisso closer to the lake. Located next to cedar park you get all the shopping/eating you could want.. not far at all from the domain just down 183-get off at duval and take that down to he domain or even faster take the tolls 45-mopac s. Cedar park center which has minor league hockey and football/concerts down the road-solid schools..not great .. mall down the rd etc

Georgetown- again has plenty of different areas but around the lake and west of 35 is beautiful. Good schools. Has good shopping and eating options. Has that Texas feel throughout. Has a really nice and active downtown square.

Cedar park- best schools out of what I've listed so far. But cedar park doesn't really have any rural feeing areas.. it's quickly running out land to build period. Near vista ridge high school and cedar park high school there is some beautiful homes- and even some hill views near cedar park high.

Lago vista-

Would be far for when your husband had to go to work.. but if it isn't often then it's not a big deal (40 minutes if you take highway give or take). Good schools. Beautiful views. On the lake. Definitely more rural. Not too far from shopping and entertainment in cedar park.

Liberty hill-

Very good schools- definitely rural and Texas is feel-not overly far from everything in Leander/cedar park.. again will be a little drive when he does go into work but honestly using 183A isn't that bad at all.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa914 View Post
Work is in Round Rock and/or Austin, I believe. (he stays at the Domaine a lot and I think that is near the office). That being said, he is home based so wouldn't be going into the office daily. ALSO - we're really interested in areas north like Georgetown, etc. We live in massive suburban sprawl now with increasing traffic, crime and crowded schools (never mind the crazy prices) and have no interest in replicating this environment for me or our family in TX. So really hoping to find a smallish town with friendly people where we can buy a house on a couple acres. I want Texas culture and history in our neighborhood/town, not a bunch of other California transplants. So that is the hope anyway!
The Domain is in north Austin (not Round Rock). 15 miles to the North, NW, West, East, & NE of the Domain is the Definition of Suburban Sprawl.

Georgetown is nice, but becoming Sprawling. Not sure there are many 2-5 acre tracts still in Gtown. (others may know differently).

The suburbs (in the geo areas I mention above, which are most definitely sprawling) can be trafficky, but are not seeing increases in crime. The neighborhoods are nice, the schools are good to great, and I would not call the schools crowded. But they are most definitely NOT small town. (& neither is Gtown).

The true small towns (where you can snag a couple of acres & a home for 500K and everyone is nice and knows your name), will be much further out.....& will be a miserable commute....& will have inferior schools.

You might want to rent first. Probably in Gtown.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Areas To look into-

Jarrell- just had family build a new home here- soooooo much value for your money. It's quite rural but literally 10 minutes down 35 from Georgetown which has everything. Issue here is schools. Not sure why they aren't ranked good but they're not.

Leander-moved here from Chicago and love it- plenty of different parts.. fairly rural around Ronald Regan/ more suburbiaish near crystal falls, and beautiful views on the edge over in travisso closer to the lake. Located next to cedar park you get all the shopping/eating you could want.. not far at all from the domain just down 183-get off at duval and take that down to he domain or even faster take the tolls 45-mopac s. Cedar park center which has minor league hockey and football/concerts down the road-solid schools..not great .. mall down the rd etc

Georgetown- again has plenty of different areas but around the lake and west of 35 is beautiful. Good schools. Has good shopping and eating options. Has that Texas feel throughout. Has a really nice and active downtown square.

Cedar park- best schools out of what I've listed so far. But cedar park doesn't really have any rural feeing areas.. it's quickly running out land to build period. Near vista ridge high school and cedar park high school there is some beautiful homes- and even some hill views near cedar park high.

Lago vista-

Would be far for when your husband had to go to work.. but if it isn't often then it's not a big deal (40 minutes if you take highway give or take). Good schools. Beautiful views. On the lake. Definitely more rural. Not too far from shopping and entertainment in cedar park.

Liberty hill-

Very good schools- definitely rural and Texas is feel-not overly far from everything in Leander/cedar park.. again will be a little drive when he does go into work but honestly using 183A isn't that bad at all.
Good post. (& I like Lago too). But aside from Liberty Hill (& Jarrell which I purposely omitted), I don't get a small town feel...where they can snag a couple of acres for 500K in CP, Leander or Gtown. (I may be wrong on availability, but CP, Leander & Gtown definitely are more suburban feel & not small town feel).

Old 07-27-2017, 02:50 PM

895 posts, read 1,242,056 times
Cedar park/Leander and Georgetown are definitely suburban in feel although there are pockets in Leander and Georgetown that do have more of a rural feel however who knows for how much longer as obviously the area is exploding as it has for what seems like awhile now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin