Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:52 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Don't expect any change to this mess as long as the overall composition of the Texas legislature remains as it is. Last time I checked, the leg was hardly a fan of Austin (except when they were looking for places to party...).
Eh, the Leg has been mad ever since south congress was 'cleaned up'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 12:30 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,779,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
City mulling a tax swap with the Austin school district

COA wants those of us that live in Austin but aren't in the AISD boundaries to pay higher taxes which in essence will help subsidize AISD. Although they are proposing to lower the AISD taxes that won't help those of us who do not live within AISD boundaries. I have a feeling this will not end well for the City Council. Can you say massive lawsuit?
So if I live in the CofA and pay school taxes to another ISD (which I do). & Now a portion of my CITY taxes will pay for some of the Services to AISD.....

1. Does this mean I get to vote on AISD issues (bonds etc.)?
2. Can my kid attend LASA? (or Anderson?)

(& if I can't vote on AISD issues, but my tax dollars are directly being funneled to AISD....then wouldn't this be kinda, sorta, be.....Taxation without Representation?)

I think some people got really p*ssed off about this very issue about 240 years ago.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:14 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
So if I live in the CofA and pay school taxes to another ISD (which I do). & Now a portion of my CITY taxes will pay for some of the Services to AISD.....

(& if I can't vote on AISD issues, but my tax dollars are directly being funneled to AISD....then wouldn't this be kinda, sorta, be.....Taxation without Representation?)

I think some people got really p*ssed off about this very issue about 240 years ago.

What the city would have to do is provide the same services to any school in the city limits, not just AISD. So, assume that after-school care currently costs AISD $2 million/yr (although I have no clue how much it actually does). Because of Robin Hood, AISD has to tax district residents $4 million. Now, suppose the CoA decided to fund on-site after school care and allow AISD to lower their taxes by $4 million. The city would have to raise taxes by $2 million + 'loss of efficiency*' = say, $2.4 million. On paper, looks good so far.

The problem, of course, is that 25% of the population of Austin is not in AISD, so $600,000** of that came from outside AISD and they would get no tax savings and would have a tax increase.

To off-set this, the CoA would also have to provide after-school care for any school in the city limits, whether it be AISD, RRISD, LISD, etc. I don't know what the RH effect on those schools is currently, but it would have to be enough to off-set the inefficiency effect of the city of Austin managing the program instead of the schools. But it could work, and there may be other programs, as well, they could be enacted on a city-wide basis instead of just a district-wide.

*The Austin Monitor has a discussion of the inefficiency cause by city run programs
Quote:
For one, it is challenging if not impossible for the city to run programs at the same cost as the school district, explained Deputy Chief Financial Officer Ed Van Eenoo. The city spends far more on its employee pensions than the school district, whose employees are part of a statewide teachers retirement system. The city’s health care costs are also significantly higher.
https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...hool-district/

**I don't have backup data, but I am guessing that the 25% of the residents that live outside AISD represents quite a bit less than 25% of the tax-base, so the percentage would be less than this.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The point is. it's a state funding problem, not a "ooh ooh, liberal mayor" problem.
If folks don't like the results we live with, they might consider electing responsible state government.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:12 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post

Taxation without representation? You mean like all my AISD taxes that are going to a hundred other school districts in the state? Do I get to vote in those districts?

It's an Austin tax, and as an Austin taxpayer, you'll get to vote on it.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:33 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
'Whatever happened to the good Senator B. ?

Seriously though, the state lege will slap Austin silly on this latest folly.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:48 AM

716 posts, read 539,348 times
POP - state funding my butt - thats another way to say we don't pay enough in taxes - if you the liberals run this state you will see income tax, gas taxes going out of sight, consumption tax, tax on utilities, etc etc - its easy to be a liberal spend others people money and give it to others - try being a conservative -take risks, pay payroll, loose sleep over being sued by some left wing dilhole that that says the toilet mirror is to high, pay insurance with those outrages rates for your employees and then have some leftwing nut job who never had to do any of things tell you - your not being fair - your not paying your fair share

why do you think companies small and larger are moving to texas? and have for years?

wake up people these left wing idealoges are going to take more and more and more-

Old 08-19-2017, 03:03 PM

420 posts, read 403,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
POP - state funding my butt - thats another way to say we don't pay enough in taxes - if you the liberals run this state you will see income tax, gas taxes going out of sight, consumption tax, tax on utilities, etc etc - its easy to be a liberal spend others people money and give it to others - try being a conservative -take risks, pay payroll, loose sleep over being sued by some left wing dilhole that that says the toilet mirror is to high, pay insurance with those outrages rates for your employees and then have some leftwing nut job who never had to do any of things tell you - your not being fair - your not paying your fair share

why do you think companies small and larger are moving to texas? and have for years?

wake up people these left wing idealoges are going to take more and more and more-
Yeah. Who needs an education when you can just rant away on the internet.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:04 AM

716 posts, read 539,348 times
who needs to pay more taxes than than have too? you? i never said education is nit important - but being wise on how - where to spend our hard earned tax money is- the more you give the more they take - even thou Tx has not had the pleasure of a strong union for teachers and the all out war that we are not paying our fair share - if you allow liberals to keep taking your money texas will end up like calif - having conservatives in office and people liked minded who won't allow the politicians to take more and more is the only way to keep taxes great - liberals are all about its for the children, or the fire fighters, or for the poor, or for the illegals - Austin in a haven for that kind of attitude and its spending to other cities as well

Old 08-21-2017, 08:54 AM
ITO

159 posts, read 373,806 times
So let's see if a understand this, the COA wants to raise taxes for Schools, but they are currently over collecting money for schools now and have to give $400 million back to the state as part of the Robin Hood Bill. So why are they raising taxes for money they can't even keep?

Kirk Watson says average Austin homeowner pays $1,300 to $1,400 that goes to other school districts | PolitiFact Texas

Joe Straus says Austin school district expected to lose $530-million-plus to fund other schools | PolitiFact Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: