Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 05:45 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times

Advertisements

Which is farthest out and least convenient to getting around to enjoy Austin and surrounding areas? Looking to retire but like to be out enjoying whatever is going on. May also work part time to stay busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Which is farthest out and least convenient to getting around to enjoy Austin and surrounding areas? Looking to retire but like to be out enjoying whatever is going on. May also work part time to stay busy.
Lago Vista is least convenient because you basically have to drive into Leander to get anywhere in the Austin area. Its isolation is one of the charms for folks who move out there.

Sun City in Georgetown which is on I35 and has several ways to get into Austin and other parts of the Austin area, and is a hop, skip and a jump from not just I35 but the 130 tollway.

Given your post, I'd say Sun City, hands down.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:44 PM

1,546 posts, read 1,194,492 times
I second what TXHorseLady said. LV has many charms, but is rather isolated and because of the hilly terrain, it takes a while to get to anywhere that has good shopping or amenities. I think it would be a great and beautiful place to retire, but rather inconvenient if you need to get to Austin for any reason. SC would be more convenient in that regard. I commute to N. Austin every day from SC in GT and it's relatively easy unless I35 gets hosed for any reason. but there are alternate routes. GT also has it's charms too and is way more convenient. But if you're looking for a place with classic central texas beauty and don't need to come into austin very often, LV would be ideal. Real estate is also cheaper there. But resale might be more challenging.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:13 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Lago Vista is definitely more secluded and inconvenient that Georgetown. Georgetown has so much shopping now, it's just another suburb.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Lago Vista is definitely more secluded and inconvenient that Georgetown. Georgetown has so much shopping now, it's just another suburb.
First, I beg to differ that Georgetown is "just another suburb". Second, since when does shopping determine whether a town is a suburb or a town in its own right?

Old 09-27-2017, 09:20 AM

1,546 posts, read 1,194,492 times
Quote:
I think you are more describing Cedar Park. I lived there before it had nothing more than an HEB and Home Depot. It always felt more like a suburb of Austin rather than it's own town. Finally had to leave due to the congestion of too many people crammed into a small space, and the resulting bad traffic. Great shopping though!

Georgetown is and has always been a town in it's own right and plenty of interesting history. I don't think it has a suburb feel to it at all, and the shopping is not that great actually. I now go back to Cedar Park to shop. But am very happy to return home to GT. I moved here because it still retains a friendly, small town feel even though it's growing quickly.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:08 AM

Tell me, in the community of Terravista, where does Round Rock end and Georgetown begin? You can't because all the streets run together. Even the builders "forgot" the area split cities and school districts as they weren't ready with a Georgetown school when they got too far north. I had a buyer contract a house up there. The sales office was in Round Rock and Round Rock schools, only to find the next section they were selling was actually in Georgetown and Georgetown ISD. Just another street.

Just like other "towns" and "suburbs", Georgetown still has an old downtown, but how is that any different than Round Rock's old downtown or Cedar Park's old downtown?

Georgetown is a suburb of Austin, like it or not.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:25 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
My mom lives in Georgetown. It definitely has a distinct flavor to it, similar to Marble Falls and Liberty Hill. Sure, the new home subdivision developers are polluting the place, but where haven't they gone? Doesn't take away the fact that Georgetown has a distinct, local vibe. As does Round Rock, regardless of boundaries.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Tell me, in the community of Terravista, where does Round Rock end and Georgetown begin? You can't because all the streets run together. Even the builders "forgot" the area split cities and school districts as they weren't ready with a Georgetown school when they got too far north. I had a buyer contract a house up there. The sales office was in Round Rock and Round Rock schools, only to find the next section they were selling was actually in Georgetown and Georgetown ISD. Just another street.

Just like other "towns" and "suburbs", Georgetown still has an old downtown, but how is that any different than Round Rock's old downtown or Cedar Park's old downtown?

Georgetown is a suburb of Austin, like it or not.
No, it is not. That you prefer to view it that way, coming from the DFW area, does not make it so. It is a definite and distinct town, in existence in its own right about as long as Austin (and with a college that predates UT, by the way) and TeraVista is a very very tiny and recent part of it. Ignoring the entire community in favor of one part of one subdivision so that you can call it a suburb? Really?

Old 09-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
No, it is not. That you prefer to view it that way, coming from the DFW area, does not make it so. It is a definite and distinct town, in existence in its own right about as long as Austin (and with a college that predates UT, by the way) and TeraVista is a very very tiny and recent part of it. Ignoring the entire community in favor of one part of one subdivision so that you can call it a suburb? Really?
This coming from someone who lives East of Jarrell and still thinks she's part of Austin and knows what's going on in Austin and the surrounding areas. Jarrell, nor anything East of it, is NOT an Austin suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin