Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 02:13 PM

243 posts, read 228,782 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about moving to Austin and getting out of the boring rat race of the tidewater area of Va. everyone I've talked to from Texas has talked about how fun and awesome Austin was. The only thing that puts me off is the horrible traffic and the fact theres no beaches. I was wondering what the music scene is like in Austin ? What is there for outdoors type of stuff ? I love the outdoors and I have a old 4x4 I like use for offorading. is the commute really that bad if you don't live in the city ? how is the metal scene in particular in Austin ? are there any bars that cater specifically to that type of music ? I'm a musician so its pretty high on my list. The GOAT metal band came from Texas but that was outside of Dallas. Pantera.

the great state of Texas is the only other state I'm considering to move to other than Florida. Im used to the brutal summers in va so the humidity won't bother me too much plus it will be a lot warmer in winters which is a plus. Im also used to a high cost of living too so that won't scare me away. oh and I like guns .

would Austin be a good fit for someone young like me ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 02:28 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Come visit first. Then we can talk about the other things.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:39 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,236 times
Bro.
Pantera came out of the famed Ridglea Theater in Ft Worth. To this day, the metal scene is heavy on the west side of DFW. Austin is singer songwriter bull**** and hipster faux pop.

There’s nothing to 4 wheel. Almost anywhere in TX.

Austin sure as hell isnt a fit. Albuquerque might be.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:46 PM

243 posts, read 228,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Bro.
Pantera came out of the famed Ridglea Theater in Ft Worth. To this day, the metal scene is heavy on the west side of DFW. Austin is singer songwriter bull**** and hipster faux pop.

Austin sure as hell isnt a fit. Albuquerque might be.

but aren't there plenty of good clubs and places to party ? and hot girls to hook up with ? or is everyone a hipster ?

would DFW be a better fit ?

Old 02-09-2018, 03:52 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
but aren't there plenty of good clubs and places to party ? and hot girls to hook up with ? or is everyone a hipster ?

would DFW be a better fit ?
Hands down DFW is a better fit if you’re into the metal scene and wheeling.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:59 PM

668 posts, read 784,009 times
We are not without a metal scene here. I'm a drummer and a metal fan also. We have Texas Mist and Come and Take It as far as live metal venues, and we get a fair amount of good touring acts also. Since Austin has a huge music scene of all kinds, I think you'd find your musical tribe here.

If you like guns, the outdoors, and 4-wheeling I think Austin would be a decent fit for you. You used to be able to go 4-wheeling at Fort Hood but that stopped after 9-11 and I am not sure where the best places are for that, but I do know we have some 4 Wheel Parts stores here (friend of mine used to manage one) so it's not like there's no one here who is into that.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:40 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
There are no beaches, but their are lakes. This is paddle boarding, kayaking, hiking, biking... there is so much outdoor stuff going on, you'll love the Cedar Fever when it hits you!

Old 02-09-2018, 07:40 PM

240 posts, read 272,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
...I think you'd find your musical tribe here.
Finding your tribe, I like that. I probably need a heavy metal tribe too.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:36 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
closest beach is 3.5 hours (corpus/port A) and you can drive on the beach.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:56 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
A ray of sunshine.

There are plenty of sources. Also, there are brand specific clubs.

Texas 4x4 Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Texas Four Wheel Drive Organization
Texas Offroad Network Forums - Forums powered by Texas Offroad Network ©
Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin