Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 02:54 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times

Advertisements

So, while I have my opinion of this advice column ... What do you all think?

8 Reasons For Staying Single - AskMen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 02:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I guess for someone that feels they need a "reason", they'll do...I don't really have any thoughts about it other than that if you want to be single, be single...no excuses, or reasons necessary.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:05 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
I think the first reason is excellent. I think most of the other reasons are out of sync with number one - because the point of number one is that you should take your time to find the right person. And then most of the other reasons are really only applicable to having a relationship with the wrong person. At least, that's my take on it. Personally, I think everyone should wait to settle down until they find the right person - if that's what they are looking for.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:14 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
I would advise any young man to be very careful before you get married and involved sexually with a young woman of today. I know of two women who are married to very nice young men, walk all over them, treat them like a servant, are constantly visiting on on the phone to mom, or regularly visiting mom, play sick to get out of work or contend they can't work, even chores at home, and treating their husbands parents like the enemy. I've heard of other stories from parents of grown children who are dealing with very selfish, self centered daughter in laws. Single men have to be careful too, as some of these young women may become "accidently" pregnant,(I know some cases like this also) leaving the guy on the hook for child support for many years. Why do you think there are so many single women with children on the dating forums. My advice, take it slow and be very careful. If their family is on the crazy side, run.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:14 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
I've never in my life got a decent explanation on why a man being single is "immature"

Old 07-27-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I've never in my life got a decent explanation on why a man being single is "immature"
No, immature as in how the article is written. The writer basically plays off the issues of the relationship being completely the woman's fault - she's moody, she spends money, she is a gold digger, etc.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I would advise any young man to be very careful before you get married and involved sexually with a young woman of today. I know of two women who are married to very nice young men, walk all over them, treat them like a servant, are constantly visiting on on the phone to mom, or regularly visiting mom, play sick to get out of work or contend they can't work, even chores at home, and treating their husbands parents like the enemy. I've heard of other stories from parents of grown children who are dealing with very selfish, self centered daughter in laws. Single men have to be careful too, as some of these young women may become "accidently" pregnant,(I know some cases like this also) leaving the guy on the hook for child support for many years. Why do you think there are so many single women with children on the dating forums. My advice, take it slow and be very careful. If their family is on the crazy side, run.
Please be mindful of this generalization -- some of us single moms are because our ex-husbands ran out on us after a mutually agreed upon pregnancy, not because we put them "on the hook" for anything.

Otherwise, I completely agree with your statement about some young women out there AND taking time to find a partner that is a good match.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:23 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
I think anyone who thinks those are good reasons should definitely stay single.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:38 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Unfortunately relationships are treated as just another game these days.

Back 100 years ago young people got married to start their families. They intended to form a strong unit which would protect all the members equally. The men usually earned the income, the woman traditionally ran the home and reared the children. Folks usually lived within a mile of their own parents and where they grew up. The world was a harsh place and people knew Family was the best way to survive.

That has gone. Now people want endless passion, perfect grooming, bank accounts, careers, perfect children, a show home, an SUV each.

Now men tend to view women and marriage as a threat/liability. They no longer see wives and children as something to be proud of, rather something to be wary of. Dating is no longer a quest to find who you're most compatible with to build a family and a future, but to find who is less likely to "steal" the joint money in the inevitable divorce.

It's the way of the world now and ironically, men everywhere complain because women do not have sex with them.

Perhaps if they treated women less as liabilities and more as assets, they would be more popular.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:48 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

Perhaps if they treated women less as liabilities and more as assets, they would be more popular.
The whole gist of the list was that women want to ruin men's lives and bleed them dry. If a guy meets the right woman, she makes his life better. She wants him to hang out with his friends. She wants him to keep his speedboat (what guy has a speedboat, anyway?) and take maybe her out on it. And at the same time, he likes her and he wants to spend time with her. Relationships aren't for everyone, but they don't have to be punishment or restrictive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships