Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 03:51 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The whole gist of the list was that women want to ruin men's lives and bleed them dry. If a guy meets the right woman, she makes his life better. She wants him to hang out with his friends. She wants him to keep his speedboat (what guy has a speedboat, anyway?) and take maybe her out on it. And at the same time, he likes her and he wants to spend time with her. Relationships aren't for everyone, but they don't have to be punishment or restrictive.
Yeah - that's what I mean. The first reason is basically saying - take time and find the right woman. And then the rest of them are things like - stay single because when you are in a relationship she'll take your money, demand all your time, won't let you do anything, etc. Well, if you took your time to find the right woman - she wouldn't be like that. I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,868 posts, read 8,412,187 times
That writer is super bitter. He should stay single. I only agree with number 1.

2,947 posts, read 7,021,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The whole gist of the list was that women want to ruin men's lives and bleed them dry. If a guy meets the right woman, she makes his life better. She wants him to hang out with his friends. She wants him to keep his speedboat (what guy has a speedboat, anyway?) and take maybe her out on it. And at the same time, he likes her and he wants to spend time with her. Relationships aren't for everyone, but they don't have to be punishment or restrictive.
Taking this further ... If young men are reading a list like this, are they being set up to have the mindset that women are out to destroy them?

How do young women that are good, treat men well and want a compatible, loving relationship even compete against this kind of mindset?

Old 07-27-2013, 03:53 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_fly_12 View Post
Taking this further ... If young men are reading a list like this, are they being set up to have the mindset that women are out to destroy them?

How do young women that are good, treat men well and want a compatible, loving relationship even compete against this kind of mindset?
I think if a guy reads this list and agrees with it - he's already in that mindset.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:55 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,412,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_fly_12 View Post

Agreed!! but it also depends on how they're raised and other influences.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:55 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
As a 25 year old single guy I'll chime in. Hopefully from a more mature standpoint.

My favorite points:

2 - You Can Focus On Your Career
I'm going to grad school in August and hope to eventually work my way to a MPA. It is a big time investment combined with my FT job. Plus I am trying to get more opportunities to job shadow in other depts at my job. Again, I personally think this is a better use of my time right now than a relationship.

3 - You Can Do What You Want, When You Want
I have come in on Sunday Morning the last two weekends no earlier than 3am from nights out on the dance floor. No one said a thing about it. I like that. Bank account willing, I can take a trip to wherever for the weekend. Friends texts me and says gotta check this out, I can hop in the shower and be there in 20. I love living on my own terms.

6 - You Can Enjoy Serenity
As kind of an introvert, I love quiet. I work at a job which requires extensive contact with people. Walking in the door at 5pm I can just get on my couch and decompress.

Some points I am indifferent to

1 - You Can Take The Time To Find The Right Woman
I'm not really shopping for a relationship at this point. I could care less. I think if it is meant to be, it will come at its own pace and on my schedule.

5 - You Can Build Wealth
I'm an underemployed millennial in a high COL area. What wealth can I build?

7 - You Can Keep Your Toys
I don't really have any toys or possessions that are irreplaceable or that I would cry over losing. The flag that was over my father's coffin at his funeral is probably the only thing I value in my room right now and any woman who wants me to get rid of that will be shown the door automatically. The only things I have of value right now are my friends. Again, no woman is making me get rid of them.

I totally disagree with

4 - You Can Enjoy A Sexual Smorgasbord
I'm a virgin. That part is totally not working out. Besides I want to give my virginity to a woman that I feel has earned that gift with her love to me. I'm not gonna give to just anyone.

8 - You Don't Have To Compromise
Are you kidding me? I have to make compromises daily. With clients, my roommate, friends, etc. Maybe in solitary confinement in the state pen you don't have to compromise.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:58 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,600 times
I agree 110% with Dewdrop93 that if you TRULY met a woman in point #1, that the rest wouldn't matter. However, I'm also not shocked to see the females here belittling the article, the writer of it, and any male who dare agree with it. Ever notice any article that portrays women as less than perfect gets met with scorn and ridicule here? Reverse the genders in the OP, and let's see what their responses would be Probably total agreement, and affirmations. Think I'm full of it? Prove me wrong

Old 07-27-2013, 03:59 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,547,020 times
sound like well understood reasons. ppl should only marry when they are ready to have kids.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:00 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
sound like well understood reasons. ppl should only marry when they are ready to have kids.
How about those of us who are open to marriage but totally against having kids huh?

Old 07-27-2013, 04:03 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
The married vs. single debate is complex. For those who desire to become parents, I still think that marriage is overwhelmingly beneficial. For the child-free, the trade is more thorny.

That said, the reasons given in the cited article are meretricious and vane. “holding out” for an optimal mate might result in missing a suboptimal but perfectly reasonable relationship. Not only does failing to make permanent such a relationship potentially break one’s would-be partner’s heart, but it might leave one with fewer options, not more. What about focusing on one’s career? Yes ,workaholics might be better off single. But we have thoroughly demolished the myth that a materially successful guy will have “hordes of women throwing themselves” at him. It takes a lifetime to realize just how unimpressed most women are with money. “Sexual smorgasbord” (another quote from the article)? Uh, I’ll take the sexual soup kitchen – even that would be an upgrade. Serenity? Yes, the serenity of lying in bed with a fever with nobody to bring you a cold glass of water.

The reason that we’re in such a rush to marry, or to remarry, is that society has become so fragmented. Basically, unmarried = alone. It’s a difficult trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships