Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 05:33 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,680 times

Advertisements

OK, our kitchen looks almost as good as the model homes now, but how the heck does one clean Stainless Steel? I have already tried Simple Green SS cleaner, but it leaves all the fingerprints from the install of the oven, etc. and the coloration is not consistent. What do you use?

Seriously, I am going to have to hire a maid because my DW is none to happy with my kids fingerprints, nor mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 06:05 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,436,014 times
I'd like to know as well. What kind of refrigerator did you buy? Full stainless or are the sides black or gray? I was wondering how the gray sides would look in my kitchen.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I'd like to know as well. What kind of refrigerator did you buy? Full stainless or are the sides black or gray? I was wondering how the gray sides would look in my kitchen.
OK, you caught me! When I said model home, I was talking about the model home of a builder that is not doing too well right now, so it would have a white 'frig with the rest of the appliances SS.

We are still saving up for the new SS frig, but we will probably go with black sides because the cooktop we got is this one: Black glass cooktop w/SS trim

It has just enough SS for looks, but I don't have to worry about cooking spaghetti sauce, and other acidic dishes and then worry about cleaning up splats right away.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:14 PM

324 posts, read 1,312,184 times
WD40........cleans/shines and leaves an oily film that reminds your family to keep their hands on the handles.........stainless is beautiful but high maintanence and i kid you not about the WD40...all the expensive special stainless is exactly the same thing only with a nicer name and higher price tag

Old 03-23-2008, 07:20 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,671 times
Once in a while you'll want to use a stainless steel cleaner, but for regular cleaning all you need is a slightly damp towel. Seriously, plain old water works best on cleaning stainless steel. The trick is to have the towel be just slightly damp.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:30 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,066,251 times
I don't use anything but the stainless steel fridge cleaner on mine. Water makes it look weird.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:39 PM

347 posts, read 1,567,777 times
I use Windex wipes. They work pretty well.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Stainless steel will show up prints and water stains pretty easy. Hard water doesn't help. After you clean it you have to dry it.

Stainless steel is nice but takes some work to keep it looking that way. One weekend at my brother's house (all SS appliances) made me decide they were nice but not for me.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:57 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,618,273 times
SS wipes are a great choice.

Only thing I got that is SS is my gas grill.

If you don't mind the smell of WD40; then spray a little on a terry cloth and rub gently.

It looks good.

Just found this: How to Shine Stainless Steel Appliances - wikiHow

Old 03-24-2008, 01:26 PM

122 posts, read 407,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCalitoSteinerRanch View Post

OK, our kitchen looks almost as good as the model homes now, but how the heck does one clean Stainless Steel? I have already tried Simple Green SS cleaner, but it leaves all the fingerprints from the install of the oven, etc. and the coloration is not consistent. What do you use?

Seriously, I am going to have to hire a maid because my DW is none to happy with my kids fingerprints, nor mine.
I think I'm the one that said "Why SS??" when you were talking about replacing the white appliances. SS is a pain in the a** to keep clean, unless you are on it all the time. We had SS appliances in our 3 yr old house we just bought, and they looked awful. We switched them out for black. I have enough trouble keeping the SS sink looking good!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: