Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:49 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,680 times

Advertisements

That was probably one of the strongest storms I've ever seen blow through Austin. There was nothing but still, muggy air, then out of nowhere the fury is unleashed

We had to run out and catch the furniture on our porch that was flying across the street and pull my wife's car into the garage before the hail stones beat it to death. After that, the power went out for over an hour.

Adds a dose of excitement to what would otherwise be a dull, boring Sunday night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 10:00 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,770,514 times
Default WOW, what a storm!!! (June 3rd)

I've been in Austin 17 years and have witnessed a lot of extreme, crazy weather. This one didn't measure up for wind or hail or rain, but the lightning and thunder was the most extreme I've ever experienced in my life. The sky was continually lit and peppered with brilliant flashes, the rumbling was continuous and punctuated by startling cracks and booms --- it was truly spectacular!

My poor dog... I wish she could share my enjoyment of it, but she was absolutely terrified.

And another great thing about this storm is the way it popped up against all predictions. There was talk about the possibility of some rain overnight as a result of distant storms to the northwest, but these storms blossomed out of a calm hot day and pummeled the region.

I LOVE TEXAS WEATHER!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 10:12 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,912,250 times
Default Power out

We are coming out next week and had to call our hotel to confirm a few things and they told us their power was out!

Old 06-03-2007, 10:15 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,912,250 times
Default Hail & Garages

Crazy! We called our hotel today and their power was also out.

This brings up a thought since we're looking at homes next week. Does the hail really get to the destroy yoru car level?

Teri

Old 06-03-2007, 10:23 PM

979 posts, read 2,956,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
I LOVE TEXAS WEATHER!!!
That is a crazy thing to say!

I'm down in Houston this weekend and the weather here has been ultra-muggy and hot in a too gross to be outside sort of way. The sad thing is, summer just started!

My house in Austin has already had its roof replaced once due to hail (six year old house), so I've got my fingers crossed that the roof will still be intact when I return tomorrow.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:26 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,247,822 times
Down the road in SA we had a Dust Storm with raging winds in excess of 65 MPH measured according to the storm reports page on the National Weather Service page.

Visibility was knocked to near 0 for about 30-40 mins and I lost power for a good 20 minutes (something thats never happened in my 5 years in SA).

One heck of a dust storm lol I got a windburn from watching the storm outside lol

Old 06-04-2007, 03:40 AM

351 posts, read 1,431,825 times
After the initial blast last night, I could see a flashlight out in front of my house. My neighbor was trying to find out where the big section of live oak came from that was lying in the road. It was from my tree. I went out to talk to him for less then a minute and said that I was going back in because of lightning was everywhere.

In my backyard I have branches and leaves on my deck, the thing is; my deck is 11' off the ground and the nearest tree is about 30 ft. away! My windows on the west side of my house were pulsing for about 45 minutes during the storm.

I wouldn't be surprised if a tornado didn't touch down somewhere. Incredible night.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Lots of straight line winds. News said up to 56 mph, but sure seemed like more, and 4-5" of rain in most places. Lightning was a show! Have seen one or two like it, I suppose, but man, was it bright! Power flickered a couple times, but did not go out.

BB size hail, so that was not a big deal, and none of our big trees sustained any damage, so we feel lucky. But I gotta agree with Harvester, I love storms .

Old 06-04-2007, 07:34 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,704,369 times
I don't know, I thought last year had worse storms, at least out this way. But the lightning was pretty cool to watch.

Last edited by love roses; 06-04-2007 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: added a little more comment

Old 06-04-2007, 12:56 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,019,921 times
My neighborhood was marked for biblical vengeance I guess. on the road out, there was at least a dozen 100-year old oaks that were uprooted and debris everywhere. the gas station on the FM had at least one pump missing. it looked like a tornado went through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin