Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:55 AM

10 posts, read 15,280 times

Advertisements

Considering move to Austin from NYC. Family of 4. narrowing in on west lake hills (the schools, proximity to downtown). we're excited but people still tell me traffic is such a mess - west lake looks very doable, albeit expensive. that said, the talk of so.much.traffic in austin has me really nervous - people say even close in to city it is a nightmare. Being from NYC, we are very used to traffic/suburban commutes but chose to live in the city to avoid it as much as we could. also welcome thoughts on west lake hills schools - sounds great, little nervous if it is a lot of pressure to succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 08:07 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,236 times
There will be many pressures in Westlake schools - just as there are many pressures in life.

Traffic won’t be terrible, outside of the few big festival times (Southby, ACL, etc)

Personally, I’d probably open up my search area a little if you’re really concerned about social pressures, etc.

With some rough information on budget, commute and schools needed (EL, MS, HS) you’ll probably end up with 12 pages of comments, only 7 of which will be off-topic.

Also. Hope you like it hot. I do, this is my favorite time of year, but many from the NE have a huge issue.

Edit:
I see we’ve already gone down this path. I’m not sure much has changed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...elocation.html

Old 06-07-2018, 08:40 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
I also live close in but south of downtown. If your circuit is home in Westlake or Rollingwood, EISD schools, and downtown, then you won't have any real traffic woes, sure, there will be slow downs at peak times, and there can be specific bottlenecks but nothing to get worked up about.

The horrors are folks who work downtown but live far out and have 20+ miles to navigate and no flexibility on time of arrival.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:09 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc999 View Post
Considering move to Austin from NYC. Family of 4. narrowing in on west lake hills (the schools, proximity to downtown). we're excited but people still tell me traffic is such a mess - west lake looks very doable, albeit expensive. that said, the talk of so.much.traffic in austin has me really nervous - people say even close in to city it is a nightmare. Being from NYC, we are very used to traffic/suburban commutes but chose to live in the city to avoid it as much as we could. also welcome thoughts on west lake hills schools - sounds great, little nervous if it is a lot of pressure to succeed.
our traffic is overblown (35 is bad..) Our bad traffic reputation comes from an inrix study that uses the metric of % difference between the most traffic and least traffic times. This seems like a bad measure as a place which has traffic 24/7 would rank better than a place that has zero traffic most of the time and then a lot of traffic during rush hour.

When you look at total time spent commuting we are not in the top 20

I drive 8 miles to downtown at 8:30 and it takes 15 minutes door to door. this is south on mopac around farwest to 6th/lavaca

Old 06-07-2018, 11:53 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
I agree with anywhere but here, there are lots of these discussions. But, before commenting further I'll throw out the Circle C area. Schools are great with some pressure (and maybe as much as Eanes depending) but less social class climbing as the Westlake area. Definitely some, but not as bad.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:07 PM

743 posts, read 1,372,717 times
No issues commuting from Westlake Hills to downtown.

And if you're from NYC, Austin traffic won't be such a big deal.

Pressure in school not as bad as the NYC private school stereotype either. There's a mix of academically competitive kids and kids who are just into sports and socializing. Your kids will find a wide range. If they tend to put pressure on themselves (or you put it on them), that's usually the bigger source of stress. Sure, there's a relatively high achievement level and it's natural to compare yourself to your peers, but it's not a crisis culture.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:53 AM

11,812 posts, read 8,018,631 times
If you're coming from NYC, Austin traffic will be absolutely nothing.

People say its bad here, and it does have traffic, but I came from Atlanta which is thousands of times worse than Austin.

Most of the traffic on I-35 seems to be construction related and I-35 is fairly easy to bypass as well.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:36 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
If you live in Westlake, you will drive on I-35 (downtown) about once every year or two.

You will only have to deal with short sections of MoPac, and while the traffic is slow, you won't have far to go anyway.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anywhere but here View Post
Please dont respond. There is already a plethora of data to use before asking the same question over and over and over....
Are you kidding me? What a rude response.

No, please DO respond. Who cares if the question ha already been asked? Different people may chime in and things change. Why do you care if someone asks something that has been asked previously???

Seriously, don't click on it if you don't want to see it.

I for one am curious to see an updated answer to this.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:52 PM

445 posts, read 413,993 times
Some people on this board think that they have a birth right on this town and others need to get their permission before moving in here. Ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: