Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:51 AM

44 posts, read 45,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Some of our relatives do this often. I always tease them about it. I usually say "Well I all do, but I do not know about the other alls."

He found a room for less than $500 (4 something). I am not sure whether it will still be available in August. It is on the other side of the river you call a lake from UTA. Looking at a map it looks like East Riverside or Montolpolis maybe Southeast Austin.
That will be a good location for him. 5 minute bike ride to the hike and bike trail and a large park. Not too far from HEB and food on E. Riverside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 08:28 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,254 times
Although I am still trying to figure out why some Texans walk up to a single person who is obviously alone and say "I am fixing to go to the store Y'all want to come along?" Who are the other people they are talking to?

You think that's bad? Back in Denver, we used to say 'you guys', even if there were women in the group.

(Evil snicker and chortle) Bwahahahaha!

Old 08-04-2018, 10:05 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Absent any serious rain and cold fronts, November can be glorious in November, especially early.

AUSTIN can be glorious in November, too!!!

Sometimes I type so fast, I post things I haven't thought of yet!!!

Old 08-04-2018, 12:18 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Absent any serious rain and cold fronts, November can be glorious in November, especially early.
Can November be glorious in October?

Old 08-04-2018, 04:16 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Can November be glorious in October?
Depends on Daylight Saving Time and how much is actually saved

Old 08-04-2018, 07:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzoo View Post
That will be a good location for him. 5 minute bike ride to the hike and bike trail and a large park. Not too far from HEB and food on E. Riverside
He will be in Pleasant valley. Working near the High school and at the university. I think it is about 5 miles.. Not a terrible bike ride.

He will be there in a few days, hopefully not too hot.

There are buses too I think. Looks likely we will get to visit around thanksgiving, it will be nice to finally see the most popular city in the usa I hope that bats are still there in November, that is on my list of things I want to see.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:15 AM

So far he likes the hills, the Texas Rowing club (mostly the people in it and their choice of boats too), how nice the homeless people in Pleasant valley are (there are a lot of them), the combined bike-store/coffee shop he found and the music scene. He was dis-favorably impressed by the huge amount of litter everywhere, and the fact that when it rains it does not cool down, you just end up hot and wet (well wetter as you are already soaked form humidity and sweat).

He still has not been able to see the bats.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:24 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
So far he likes the hills, the Texas Rowing club (mostly the people in it and their choice of boats too), how nice the homeless people in Pleasant valley are (there are a lot of them), the combined bike-store/coffee shop he found and the music scene. He was dis-favorably impressed by the huge amount of litter everywhere, and the fact that when it rains it does not cool down, you just end up hot and wet (well wetter as you are already soaked form humidity and sweat).

He still has not been able to see the bats.

TRC is my rowing club and it is great! Glad he found it. I lived right at Pleasant Valley/Riverside for many years and still live close by.

The bats are there, best way to see them is from the water in a kayak, that way you can see the dark bats against a lighter sky, if you are on the Congress bridge you are looking down at dark water and they are harder to see. Easier to hear and smell them, then see them. If feeding is good, then they came out in dribs and drabs, the dramatic bunching is usually a result of stress -- drought -- that makes them hunt longer and more intensely. A significant portion stay with us all year. November is a great time to visit, usually the weather is good over Thanksgiving.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
TRC is my rowing club and it is great! Glad he found it. I lived right at Pleasant Valley/Riverside for many years and still live close by.

The bats are there, best way to see them is from the water in a kayak, that way you can see the dark bats against a lighter sky, if you are on the Congress bridge you are looking down at dark water and they are harder to see. Easier to hear and smell them, then see them. If feeding is good, then they came out in dribs and drabs, the dramatic bunching is usually a result of stress -- drought -- that makes them hunt longer and more intensely. A significant portion stay with us all year. November is a great time to visit, usually the weather is good over Thanksgiving.
I think he will be coaching there, so you will meet him (Is that where the UT team rows from?). He will likely be as much a fixture at the boathouse as oars are. He lives and breathes rowing. If you get a chance to row with him take it. He is not big, but he frequently beats bigger people with way better erg scores. He simply moves the boat through the water better than most rowers. He loves learning everything there is to know about technique, rigging, equipment, stroke patterns etc. I suspect everyone will learn something from him, no matter how experienced they are. He also has an amazing story of how high school crew changed his life.

Barring some unforeseen disaster, we will be going to Thanksgiving near Denton, so we will pop down and pick him up and maybe spend a day or two exploring Austin. Looking forward to it and to seeing why it is the most popular City (and the bats, I really want to see the bats, I love bats).

Thank you for the other information. I will pass the bat info along.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:29 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
I think he will be coaching there, so you will meet him (Is that where the UT team rows from?). He will likely be as much a fixture at the boathouse as oars are.
The UT women (NCAA Division I) row from their own boathouse further up river than TRC. UT Crew (club rowing for both men and women) rows out of TRC, they practice at 5:15 am every morning.

TRC also has a large juniors program, about 200 HS rowers, and a large masters program. I have a kid in the junior program and I row masters. I'll keep my eyes out for a newbie from Detroit! It is a BIG place but competitors are always welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin