Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 04:22 PM

32 posts, read 54,135 times

Advertisements

Hello Austin friends!

Loving this community! Thank you for all the wonderful resources.

My husband and I are relocating to Austin to escape the cold Chicago winters. We both work from home.

After decades of living in "vintage rehabs" in the city of Chicago, we are very excited by a brand new home. Oh the smell of new. No more squeaky hardwood floors!

We wrote a contract with Dress in Rough Hollow back in March and they fired us 2 weeks ago... (apparently I asked too many questions and demanded better information).

My questions are:

1. Are all the builders pretty awful and shady? I haven't met one yet I trust.
As someone who likes to research companies I do biz with, I don't see any builders with good, trustworthy reviews. I know all things come with headaches but are some better than others?

(I know it has everything to do with the super that is overseeing the project but incompetent sales people make the process painful and makes me give hardcore side eye)

2. Do you NOT have say in the price of a new build? Most realtors are telling me to shut up and take whatever they say. That doesn't seem very smart either. Maybe not get the price you want but I am sure you could negotiate upgrades, right?

I guess the market is so good, builders don't care about you as a customer, just shut up and pay and you get what you get. That's my perception anyway (and the exact words my attorney used when he read our last build contract)

Thank you for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 04:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
In short, yes.

I'd much rather take an older house that has the architecture I somewhat like, then remodel it, than deal with new builds.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:42 PM

32 posts, read 54,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
In short, yes.

I'd much rather take an older house that has the architecture I somewhat like, then remodel it, than deal with new builds.
HA! Right!?

but is there ANYTHING you can do with a 90's spec home! LOL!

Thank you for your response.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:01 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times
big production builders like Drees operate at scale and in large master planned communities, you are buying a product from them, there is little room to negotiate. Their profit is fairly small on each individual house, they need to move fast and keep to a schedule and established procedures, they can always find another buyer as you found out.

You are thinking that the production build process is like a custom build project but there you find the land, purchase the land, develop plans with an architect, select a general contractor, AND fund the construction with regular draws from the bank with a construction loan which is contingent on your sign off -- ideally after your personal inspector gives you a report. THEN you have tons of leverage and call the shots and you have assumed the financial risk as well.

Buying a new house from a production builder is nothing like that, you are buying a house "off the rack" not couture.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:17 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,305,438 times
Were they potty trained?

Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 PM

3,075 posts, read 8,423,110 times
"Are all Austin Builders POO POO HEADS!?"

No I would bet some are Pee Pee Heads.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:38 AM

234 posts, read 293,060 times
At least they are not Kitten Heads...

Old 06-28-2018, 07:12 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
Many are "Richard" heads

Old 06-28-2018, 08:27 AM

167 posts, read 168,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenhead View Post
Hello Austin friends!

Loving this community! Thank you for all the wonderful resources.

My husband and I are relocating to Austin to escape the cold Chicago winters. We both work from home.

After decades of living in "vintage rehabs" in the city of Chicago, we are very excited by a brand new home. Oh the smell of new. No more squeaky hardwood floors!

We wrote a contract with Dress in Rough Hollow back in March and they fired us 2 weeks ago... (apparently I asked too many questions and demanded better information).

My questions are:

1. Are all the builders pretty awful and shady? I haven't met one yet I trust.
As someone who likes to research companies I do biz with, I don't see any builders with good, trustworthy reviews. I know all things come with headaches but are some better than others?

(I know it has everything to do with the super that is overseeing the project but incompetent sales people make the process painful and makes me give hardcore side eye)

2. Do you NOT have say in the price of a new build? Most realtors are telling me to shut up and take whatever they say. That doesn't seem very smart either. Maybe not get the price you want but I am sure you could negotiate upgrades, right?

I guess the market is so good, builders don't care about you as a customer, just shut up and pay and you get what you get. That's my perception anyway (and the exact words my attorney used when he read our last build contract)

Thank you for any insight.
What did your realtor say about why Drees terminated the contract?

Why would you have a say in the price of someone else’s product? You have a CHOICE to purchase or not.

Online reviews of builders only come from people like you. The tens of thousands that have a perfectly seamless experience don’t say anything.

Good luck. Buy a resale home and rehab it.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:51 AM

103 posts, read 113,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenhead View Post
You can negotiate up until the contract is signed. We specified specific options/modifications we wanted and the price we wanted to pay for all of that (17k under list) before we signed the contract. Everything after that from the design center was list price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin