Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 03:40 AM

30 posts, read 27,086 times

Advertisements

I know this thread was from a while ago, but being someone who grew up on Round Rock, I wanted to chime in. As many people have said, the perceptions are largely based on the schools(particularly high schools) and also the topography. West of 35 tends to be more heavily wooded areas with hills and the East is prairie land which is flat and tends to have less trees. I think that is where the perception is originally rooted.

For a long time, RR was just a small town made up of farmers, local businesspeople and the limestone quarry. In the late 70s and 80s, when RR started to become a more attractive option for families, the RR West neighborhood was built, which at the time was THE place to live for families moving to the area. Soon after, the Brushy Creek area was formed, which became a large community of several neighborhoods. The west side had easier access to 35 and Mopac for commuters which I think is why it was developed earlier for the most part. Forest Creek was essentially the only upscale neighborhood on the east side for a long time. Even though it was very desirable, it was a good distance from 35, and the toll roads didn’t exist. Until the early 2000s, there was no high school on the east side. Every neighborhood in RR proper fed into RRHS or McNeil, which I think lead to many people opting for the west side as well. Stony Point eventually opened to keep up with the growth, and at the time especially, the demographics of that area was mostly lower middle class.

the past 10-15 years, a lot of the west side is built out and builders started realizing that there was much undeveloped land on the east side, and thus Teravista, Paloma Lake, Sonoma, Lake Forest, Settlers Overlook, etc came to be. Obviously this has changed the demographics and the overall perception of the east side to change, which to many who are new here can seem strange because of all the nice neighborhoods. Cedar Ridge opened on the east side which encompasses most of the higher end areas, except for Teravista, which is zoned to Stony Point along with some economically disadvantaged areas.

So what I’m saying is that the demographics and housing options on the east side have dramatically changed in just a short time, so in a few years I’m sure it will be an even different story. I grew up on the west side but honestly I think both sides have good things to offer, especially with the neighborhoods and entertainment options going in on the east side. Round Rock as a whole is a great place to live so I think the east vs west thing needs to end!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 05:38 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
That is a pretty good synopsis.
My SIL taught English at RR HS for 44 years (1967 - 2011) so you probably knew her. She saw a lot of changes over the decades.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:16 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex90 View Post
I know this thread was from a while ago, but being someone who grew up on Round Rock, I wanted to chime in. As many people have said, the perceptions are largely based on the schools(particularly high schools) and also the topography. West of 35 tends to be more heavily wooded areas with hills and the East is prairie land which is flat and tends to have less trees. I think that is where the perception is originally rooted.

For a long time, RR was just a small town made up of farmers, local businesspeople and the limestone quarry. In the late 70s and 80s, when RR started to become a more attractive option for families, the RR West neighborhood was built, which at the time was THE place to live for families moving to the area. Soon after, the Brushy Creek area was formed, which became a large community of several neighborhoods. The west side had easier access to 35 and Mopac for commuters which I think is why it was developed earlier for the most part. Forest Creek was essentially the only upscale neighborhood on the east side for a long time. Even though it was very desirable, it was a good distance from 35, and the toll roads didn’t exist. Until the early 2000s, there was no high school on the east side. Every neighborhood in RR proper fed into RRHS or McNeil, which I think lead to many people opting for the west side as well. Stony Point eventually opened to keep up with the growth, and at the time especially, the demographics of that area was mostly lower middle class.

the past 10-15 years, a lot of the west side is built out and builders started realizing that there was much undeveloped land on the east side, and thus Teravista, Paloma Lake, Sonoma, Lake Forest, Settlers Overlook, etc came to be. Obviously this has changed the demographics and the overall perception of the east side to change, which to many who are new here can seem strange because of all the nice neighborhoods. Cedar Ridge opened on the east side which encompasses most of the higher end areas, except for Teravista, which is zoned to Stony Point along with some economically disadvantaged areas.

So what I’m saying is that the demographics and housing options on the east side have dramatically changed in just a short time, so in a few years I’m sure it will be an even different story. I grew up on the west side but honestly I think both sides have good things to offer, especially with the neighborhoods and entertainment options going in on the east side. Round Rock as a whole is a great place to live so I think the east vs west thing needs to end!
True.
I'd like to add that there were other upscale neighborhoods at that time period besides Forest Creek. Forest Creek was probably the first master planned community. There are several older, established neighborhoods ringing Forest Creek that feature custom and semi-custom homes of various types on estate sized lots. These neighborhoods can be easily overlooked, though I'm sure the residents would prefer that they remain hidden.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:59 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Don't know what a bacon degree is; but there are plenty of discussions about the expansive richer soils on the "east side" necessitating pier and beam construction or extraordinary foundation measures. Not every house, not every neighborhood and not strictly limited to the east side shoulder of IH-35 and beyond.
I used to work for a builder in Teravista in the mid-2000s and we used barrier beams to tie into the foundations since there were foundation issues back then. Not sure how it is now but hopefully better foundation technology. Soils are very expansive that way.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
That is a pretty good synopsis.
My SIL taught English at RR HS for 44 years (1967 - 2011) so you probably knew her. She saw a lot of changes over the decades.
ScoPro, I’m almost certain I know exactly who you are referring to! She taught my dad in her first year at RRHS and retired after the year I was in her class she is an RR legend. Probably the best teacher I had in all of grade school. Hope she is doing well.

And I’m sure that the changes she has seen since then are surreal. It really is unrecognizable except for downtown and Chisholm Trail crossing for the most part.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
True.
I'd like to add that there were other upscale neighborhoods at that time period besides Forest Creek. Forest Creek was probably the first master planned community. There are several older, established neighborhoods ringing Forest Creek that feature custom and semi-custom homes of various types on estate sized lots. These neighborhoods can be easily overlooked, though I'm sure the residents would prefer that they remain hidden.
Riaeliae You are right, I apologize. There definitely are a few higher end established neighborhoods in East RR. I’ve always referred to the entire area near Red Bud and 79/Gattis as Forest Creek, although I know that FC came along a while after many of these neighborhoods. Forest Creek was the first master planned golf course community of its kind in all of the northern suburbs(for the most part). It has always been considered highly desirable along with a lot of the neighborhoods in that general area.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Riaeliae You are right, I apologize. There definitely are a few higher end established neighborhoods in East RR. I’ve always referred to the entire area near Red Bud and 79/Gattis as Forest Creek, although I know that FC came along a while after many of these neighborhoods. Forest Creek was the first master planned golf course community of its kind in all of the northern suburbs(for the most part). It has always been considered highly desirable along with a lot of the neighborhoods in that general area.
ah ok. i live in one of those older neighborhoods it's easier just to tell people it's in the forest creek area.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
ScoPro, I’m almost certain I know exactly who you are referring to! She taught my dad in her first year at RRHS and retired after the year I was in her class she is an RR legend. Probably the best teacher I had in all of grade school. Hope she is doing well.

And I’m sure that the changes she has seen since then are surreal. It really is unrecognizable except for downtown and Chisholm Trail crossing for the most part.
She is getting on in years (age 80) but is doing well. She still attends class reunion functions now & then.
In her early years at the old RR HS when driving over the little two lane 620 from 183 (which was a 4 way stop sign intersection) she said she might encounter one or two farmers in their pickups.

My fiancé & I had our wedding rehearsal dinner at the old Sam Bass Cafe on 79 in 1967. It was located where that two story stone office building is on the south side of the highway between 35 & Mays. There wasn’t anything east of there except Egger Acres neighborhood, the Baptist Children’s Home, the “hidden” mansion back in the trees on the SE corner of Mays & 79, and the century old stone Merrill house a mile or two out in the country towards Hutto (population 444 at the time).

Yep, things have changed a bit since then.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:46 AM

There are many residents in my neighborhood who were born, raised, and continue to live in Round Rock. Austin always existed, but they had no inclination to live there and why would they, really? They're now in their 70s and recall the "old days" when Round Rock was still a town. My neighbor actually has an oil painting (made by a local artist) of a group of people playing dominoes outside of some building (looked like a gas station?) in downtown Round Rock. I think it was painted in 1954.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:23 AM

That old gas station building was restored around 15-20 years ago and is still located on the NW corner of Mays & Main. It was a very popular spot for local old timers to play 42 back in the day. It has been an office building in recent years and had a for sale sign on it not long ago.
At least that is my guess about the one in the painting you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin